[Support] Linuxserver.io - SWAG - Secure Web Application Gateway (Nginx/PHP/Certbot/Fail2ban)

Hi friends! Looking for advise/guidance.....I currently have swag working with unraid and several containers like Sonarr, Nextcloud etc.....I was wondering if I could use Swag to reverse proxy to other servers I have on my LAN (not on the unraid box). For example I have a synology NAS ruuning my cameras at 192.168.1.22. Is it possible to use Swag to reverse proxy to https://dscam.mydomain.com? I am thinking it would be but am unsure how to setup the .conf file. I am using the custom docker network that SI setup in his videos and it works great for reverse proxying to unraid containers just wasnt sure about LAN devices. 

A newb looking for advise with trying to make this work :)

TIA

Edited by bclinton
57 minutes ago, bclinton said:

Hi friends! Looking for advise/guidance.....I currently have swag working with unraid and several containers like Sonarr, Nextcloud etc.....I was wondering if I could use Swag to reverse proxy to other servers I have on my LAN (not on the unraid box). For example I have a synology NAS ruuning my cameras at 192.168.1.22. Is it possible to use Swag to reverse proxy to https://dscam.mydomain.com? I am thinking it would be but am unsure how to setup the .conf file. I am using the custom docker network that SI setup in his videos and it works great for reverse proxying to unraid containers just wasnt sure about LAN devices. 

A newb looking for advise with trying to make this work :)

TIA

You just have to change the upstream_app variable from container name to the IP of the app you want to proxy.

I have created a fail2ban tutorial below to get you setup to 100% working order.

Tutorial:

fail2ban does start automatically with swag, but the client side doesnt, so for testing purposes, lets start it.  You need to goto swags console and type

fail2ban-client start

Next you need to edit your jail.local file to create a jail for a particular service.  In my example I will do Guacamole.  Enter the following text into jail.local file, located in your appdata/swag/fail2ban folder

[guacamole]
enabled  = true
filter   = guacamole_custom
port     = http,https
logpath  = /appdata/ApacheGuacamole/log/tomcat9/catalina.out 

Your logpath should be pointing to where your services log files are located.  It this particular case, I am pointing to /appdata/ApacheGuacamole/log/tomcat9/catalina.out because that is where the log files for Guacamole are kept on my server  (Dont forget to define your appdata path in the Swag Unraid Template)

Next you must create a filter file.  Goto the appdata/swag/fail2ban/filter.d folder and create a new file.  Now in this particular case, Guacamole already has a guacamole.conf, except It appears to be using formatting for an old version of guacamoles logs.  This can be a problem using the prebuilt .conf files because all these apps are constantly updating and the log files for these apps sometimes change locations or text formatting.  In this case, "nWARNING" is text that guacamole no longer uses when describing a failed login attempt in its logs.  To make matters worse, every time you restart your swag container, these .conf files will be overwritten, so you cant make any changes to them.  So to get around this, I'm going to create my own new .conf file. I'll call it guacamole_custom.conf.  You'll also notice that I have "filter   = guacamole_custom" in the jail.local file as shown above.  This is to make sure my jail is pointing to the correct filter.

Now inside the guacamole_custom.conf file, we need to define the regex that will match the log file.  This is basically reading the log files that guacamole produces, and matching the line for when a person enter incorrect credentials and then grabbing the ip.  For this part its best to get help by googleing around for a fail2ban regex for your service that youre trying to set this up for.  in Guacamoles case, as of Feburary 2021,  The below code is confirmed to be working:

[Definition]
failregex = Authentication attempt from <HOST> for user "[^"]*" failed\.$

ignoreregex = 

# "maxlines" is number of log lines to buffer for multi-line regex searches
maxlines = 2

datepattern = ^%%b %%d, %%ExY %%I:%%M:%%S %%p
              ^WARNING:()**
              {^LN-BEG}

To be honest, you might not even need most of that, just the failregex line is important.  Now when somebody makes a filed attempt to login, fail2ban will read guacamoles log file, and find the failed attempt.  I can test the filter to make sure it works by typing this command

fail2ban-regex /appdata/ApacheGuacamole/log/tomcat9/catalina.out /config/fail2ban/filter.d/guacamole_custom.conf

Doing this I get:

Running tests
=============

Use   failregex filter file : guacamole_custom, basedir: /config/fail2ban
Use         maxlines : 2
Use      datepattern : Default Detectors
Use         log file : /appdata/ApacheGuacamole/log/tomcat9/catalina.out
Use         encoding : UTF-8

Results
=======

Failregex: 27 total
|-  #) [# of hits] regular expression
|   1) [27] Authentication attempt from <HOST> for user "[^"]*" failed\.$
`-

Ignoreregex: 0 total

Date template hits:
|- [# of hits] date format
|  [468] {^LN-BEG}24hour:Minute:Second
|  [25] ^WARNING:()**
`-

Lines: 1455 lines, 0 ignored, 27 matched, 1428 missed
[processed in 0.09 sec]

Missed line(s): too many to print.  Use --print-all-missed to print all 1428 lines

You can see its working, because it found 27 matches currently in the log file.  So now restart Swag (Restarting fail2ban appears to fail, restart the entire swag docker).  After the swag container is restarted, start fail2ban again from the swag console with

fail2ban-client start

Now I can check my jail status with this command

fail2ban-client status guacamole

Status for the jail: guacamole
|- Filter
|  |- Currently failed: 0
|  |- Total failed:     0
|  `- File list:        /appdata/ApacheGuacamole/log/tomcat9/catalina.out
`- Actions
   |- Currently banned: 0
   |- Total banned:     0
   `- Banned IP list:

Now lets try logging in 5 times incorrectly and getting our IP banned.  Now I get this

|- Filter
|  |- Total failed:     5
`- Actions
   |- Currently banned: 1
   |- Total banned:     1
   `- Banned IP list:   My_IP

EDIT: This should all be setup and working now.  You wont need to start the fail2ban-client everytime swag starts for it to work as it will run as a service. The hardest part of getting fail2ban working is the Regex for the particular app youre using.  Its not exactly easy to figure out the coding and often you will have to rely on somebody else to provide it.  Im still trying to hunt down regex for OMBI.

(Nginx proxy manager is a swag alternative which is GUI based and MUCH easier to setup and use than SWAG.  It does not include fail2ban however.  fail2ban also has a GUI for it called fail2web so perhaps one day that will be implemented and we can easily set rules for log matching rather than doing everything through command line and regex code).  If you need fail2ban today, struggle with it in SWAG.  If not, I recommend you just use Nginx proxy manager.  Its so easy you don't even need a guide to figure it out.  its also available for unraid!)

Edited by 007craft
8 hours ago, 007craft said:

I have created a fail2ban tutorial below to get you setup to 95% working order.  It derails at the end as I ran into a problem and cannot solve it.

Tutorial:

fail2ban does not start automatically with swag.  you need to goto console and type

fail2ban-client start

Next you need to edit your jail.local file to create a jail for a particular service.  In my example I will do Guacamole.  Enter the following text into jail.local file, located in your appdata/swag/fail2ban folder

[guacamole]
enabled  = true
port     = http,https

Your logpath should be pointing to where your services log files are located.  It this particular case, I am pointing to /appdata/ApacheGuacamole/log/tomcat9/catalina.out because that is where the log files for Guacamole are kept on my server  (Dont forget to define your appdata path in the Swag Unraid Template)

Next you must create a filter file.  Goto the appdata/swag/fail2ban/filter.d folder and create a new file.  Now in this particular case, Guacamole already has a guacamole.conf, except It appears to be using formatting for an old version of guacamoles logs.  This can be a problem using the prebuilt .conf files because all these apps are constantly updating and the log files for these apps sometimes change locations or text formatting.  In this case, "nWARNING" is text that guacamole no longer uses when describing a failed login attempt in its logs.  To make matters worse, every time you restart your swag container, these .conf files will be overwritten, so you cant make any changes to them.  So to get around this, I'm going to create my own new .conf file. I'll call it guacamole_custom.conf.  You'll also notice that I have "filter   = guacamole_custom" in the jail.local file as shown above.  This is to make sure my jail is pointing to the correct filter.

Now inside the guacamole_custom.conf file, we need to define the regex that will match the log file.  This is basically reading the log files that guacamole produces, and matching the line for when a person enter incorrect credentials and then grabbing the ip.  For this part its best to get help by googleing around for a fail2ban regex for your service that youre trying to set this up for.  in Guacamoles case, as of Feburary 2021,  The below code is confirmed to be working:

[Definition]

ignoreregex = 

maxlines = 2

{^LN-BEG}

To be honest, you might not even need most of that, just the failregex line is important.  Now when somebody makes a filed attempt to login, fail2ban will read guacamoles log file, and find the failed attempt.  I can test the filter to make sure it works by typing this command

fail2ban-regex /appdata/ApacheGuacamole/log/tomcat9/catalina.out /config/fail2ban/filter.d/guacamole_custom.conf

Doing this I get:

Running tests
=============

Results
=======

`-

Date template hits:
`-

[processed in 0.09 sec]

Missed line(s): too many to print.  Use --print-all-missed to print all 1428 lines

You can see its working, because it found 27 matches currently in the log file.  So now restart Swag (Restarting fail2ban appears to fail, restart the entire swag docker).  After the swag container is restarted, start fail2ban again from the swag console with

fail2ban-client start

|- Filter
`- Actions
   `- Banned IP list:

Now lets try logging in 5 times incorrectly and getting our IP banned.  Now I get this

|- Filter
`- Actions

However I am afraid this is where this tutorial ends because at this point even tho the IP is banned, it will still have access to try logging in.  The reason for this is because the fail2ban ACTION (as defined in the iptables-allports.conf) does not appear to be configured correctly to work within docker.  Currently the IP is indeed added to the iptables within the swag container.  You can see this by typing in the swag console:

iptables -L

And this is the code returned

Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)
target     prot opt source               destination         
f2b-guacamole  tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere            

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)

Chain f2b-guacamole (1 references)
REJECT     all  --  My_IP               anywhere             reject-with icmp-port-unreachable
RETURN     all  --  anywhere             anywhere   

I believe the problem is that Unraid doesnt see that f2b-guacamole chain.  As typing "iptables -L" into the UNRAID console shows no such connection as seen below.

LIBVIRT_INP  all  --  anywhere             anywhere            

DOCKER-USER  all  --  anywhere             anywhere            
DOCKER-ISOLATION-STAGE-1  all  --  anywhere             anywhere            
ACCEPT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere             ctstate RELATED,ESTABLISHED
DOCKER     all  --  anywhere             anywhere            
ACCEPT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere            
ACCEPT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere             ctstate RELATED,ESTABLISHED
LIBVIRT_FWX  all  --  anywhere             anywhere            
LIBVIRT_FWI  all  --  anywhere             anywhere            
LIBVIRT_FWO  all  --  anywhere             anywhere            

LIBVIRT_OUT  all  --  anywhere             anywhere   

Perhaps the Devs for this container can chime in here (or even update the container) to include the correct actions we need to pass the banned IP?

Fail2ban starts when the container starts. It's started in /etc/services.d/fail2ban/run

Most of my subdomains are setup and working with swag.  But how do I setup the main domain?  In the unraid template I set "only subdomains" to false and this seems to ahve worked because going to www.mydomain.com gives me an ssl cert, but right into this screen

image.png.1ecf34f5f97d78ec732b965efc54f0df.png

I assume I need to edit the file "default" in  the site-confs folder but I tried that, replacing this text

location ~ \.php$ {
		fastcgi_split_path_info ^(.+\.php)(/.+)$;
		fastcgi_pass 192.168.1.102:8096;
		fastcgi_index index.php;
		include /etc/nginx/fastcgi_params;
	}

With this which is used in my subdomain file (which works):

location / {
        include /config/nginx/proxy.conf;
        resolver 127.0.0.11 valid=30s;
        set $upstream_app jellyfin;
        set $upstream_port 8096;
        set $upstream_proto http;
        proxy_pass $upstream_proto://$upstream_app:$upstream_port;

proxy_set_header Range $http_range;
        proxy_set_header If-Range $http_if_range;
    }

location ~ (/jellyfin)?/socket {
        include /config/nginx/proxy.conf;
        resolver 127.0.0.11 valid=30s;
        set $upstream_app jellyfin;
        set $upstream_port 8096;
        set $upstream_proto http;
        proxy_pass $upstream_proto://$upstream_app:$upstream_port;

}

but it doesnt work.  The setup video only mentions setting up the reverse proxy for sub domains, not the main domain.

18 hours ago, 007craft said:

I guess it looks like the service is running in the background, but the client side doesnt start automatically

ezgif-2-c08663d26874.gif

Never used it, so can't really help with it. Did you modify any config files related to fail2ban that might interfere with it?

Hey community,

i add in nextcloud config.php trusted domains -> mywebsite.de

in the pictures you see my swag default config with the error of letsencrypt.

i don't understand why the port doesn't work.

(the blanc one is my website)

what do i wrong ? i just wanna use swag (not reverse proxy)

nxc: 192.168.1.2:9443

swag: 192.168.1.2:4443 ( is closed )

Solution: check my domain that he knows my ip

site-confs.default.png

port.png

Edited by srepper
On 1/17/2021 at 3:12 PM, _rogue said:

So I have been banging my head off the wall trying to figure this out. I have searched this thread and google as much as I can. I think I might just not have the right search terms to get the info I need. (or something is not working right)

I am trying to get nginx to pass the real client IP to the backend. I cannot figure for the life of me why it does not work. My proxy.conf is set to default right now but I have tried every combination of settings I can think of. It appears that I am passing a list of IPs to the backend that includes both the reverse proxy and the client IPs but apps are only reading the reverse proxy IP. I need to get it to pass just the client IP. How do I do this?

Was this ever resolved?  I am having the same issue and the same bad luck with google.  The only thing I am trying to proxy right now is self-hosted Bitwarden container.  Then only conf I changed was the Bitwarden proxy one to rename it to bitwardenrs.  I followed Spaceinvaders videos for the most part and am using a user defined bridge network.  Everything works as far as clients accessing Bitwarden through the domain.   But all access through nginx gets reported as coming from my Unraid server's IP address and everything in the Bitwarden log is either from the Unraid server's IP address or the address of the Swag docker.  Is this just how it works inside docker? I was previously using nginx directly (not in a container) on an Arch vm and always got the real internet ip addresses in the logs.  But I was really hoping to ditch that vm and go with an all container solution.

I'm not sure what other information to provide.  Any help would be greatly appreciated?

18 hours ago, brentdog said:

Was this ever resolved?  I am having the same issue and the same bad luck with google.  The only thing I am trying to proxy right now is self-hosted Bitwarden container.  Then only conf I changed was the Bitwarden proxy one to rename it to bitwardenrs.  I followed Spaceinvaders videos for the most part and am using a user defined bridge network.  Everything works as far as clients accessing Bitwarden through the domain.   But all access through nginx gets reported as coming from my Unraid server's IP address and everything in the Bitwarden log is either from the Unraid server's IP address or the address of the Swag docker.  Is this just how it works inside docker? I was previously using nginx directly (not in a container) on an Arch vm and always got the real internet ip addresses in the logs.  But I was really hoping to ditch that vm and go with an all container solution.

I'm not sure what other information to provide.  Any help would be greatly appreciated?

So I gave up trying to figure it out. What I think is happening is the applications we are proxying are showing the client IP they "discovered" rather than the one they are told about. You cannot change the actual source IP because the app has to respond to the proxy at the proxies IP. Make sense?

Basically the backend apps are not following the expression "Do as I say, not as I do" when it comes to logging. Pfsense shows both the proxy IP and client IP, Librespeed shows just the client IP and Tautuli shows just the proxy IP. Issue is not with SWAG but with the backend app.

On 2/22/2021 at 1:58 AM, 007craft said:

I have created a fail2ban tutorial below to get you setup to 95% working order.  It derails at the end as I ran into a problem and cannot solve it.

Tutorial:

fail2ban does not start automatically with swag.  you need to goto console and type

fail2ban-client start

[guacamole]
enabled  = true
port     = http,https

[Definition]

ignoreregex = 

maxlines = 2

{^LN-BEG}

Doing this I get:

Running tests
=============

Results
=======

`-

Date template hits:
`-

[processed in 0.09 sec]

fail2ban-client start

|- Filter
`- Actions
   `- Banned IP list:

|- Filter
`- Actions

This should be setup now. however I am afraid this is where this tutorial ends because at this point even tho the IP is banned, it will still have access if its using anything outside the swag container.  The reason for this is because the fail2ban ACTION (as defined in the iptables-allports.conf) does not appear to be configured correctly to work within docker.  Currently the IP is indeed added to the iptables within the swag container.  You can see this by typing in the swag console:

iptables -L

And this is the code returned

f2b-guacamole  tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere            

Chain f2b-guacamole (1 references)
REJECT     all  --  My_IP               anywhere             reject-with icmp-port-unreachable
RETURN     all  --  anywhere             anywhere   

I believe the problem is that Unraid doesnt see that f2b-guacamole chain.  As typing "iptables -L" into the UNRAID console shows no such connection as seen below.

LIBVIRT_INP  all  --  anywhere             anywhere            

DOCKER-USER  all  --  anywhere             anywhere            
DOCKER-ISOLATION-STAGE-1  all  --  anywhere             anywhere            
LIBVIRT_FWX  all  --  anywhere             anywhere            
LIBVIRT_FWI  all  --  anywhere             anywhere            
LIBVIRT_FWO  all  --  anywhere             anywhere            

LIBVIRT_OUT  all  --  anywhere             anywhere   

I guess not a big deal if you want fail2ban working on any of the forwards you setup within swag, but wont help for any containers setup and routed to outside of swag.

Perhaps the Devs for this container can chime in here (or even update the container) to include the correct actions we need to pass the banned IP to root and out of the container?

I got the exact same results with my swag setup, fail2ban works and can log ips and add them in the iptables for the container, but are still not blocking the traffic for whatever reason, even if it is fully contained within swag.  Example, I have a bitwarden filter, am able to see my IP logged into the jail, but can still access even though it is in the f2b-bitwarden iptable entry as DENY.  It must have to do with what you said, dev input would be beneficial on this

4 hours ago, _rogue said:

So I gave up trying to figure it out. What I think is happening is the applications we are proxying are showing the client IP they "discovered" rather than the one they are told about. You cannot change the actual source IP because the app has to respond to the proxy at the proxies IP. Make sense?

Basically the backend apps are not following the expression "Do as I say, not as I do" when it comes to logging. Pfsense shows both the proxy IP and client IP, Librespeed shows just the client IP and Tautuli shows just the proxy IP. Issue is not with SWAG but with the backend app.

OK I feel stupid.  I had an OpenVPN server in front of nginx using the port-share option (probably should have mentioned that).  I have had this setup for years when nginx was on an Arch vm and always got the real ip in the nginx logs.  I switched back to my Arch vm just for grins and it was only seeing the Unraid server IP in the logs as well.  So something changed, I have no idea what.  I moved OpenVPN back to its standard port and have my router forwarding straight into swag and I now see the real client ip addresses in the access log.  I even see the real ip addresses in the Bitwarden log now to boot.

Had bare binhex-nginx installed and it worked fine. Got to the index.html without issues.

Wanted to use let's encrypt and it appears the swag was "the way" forward.

Can not get a validation for duckdns.org.

always fail at:

http-01 challenge for ???.duckdns.org
Waiting for verification...
Challenge failed for domain ???.duckdns.org

No logs are saved in var/log/**

nslookup for duckdns.org resolves to my public exposed ip address.

Any directions?

7 hours ago, -jim said:

Had bare binhex-nginx installed and it worked fine. Got to the index.html without issues.

Wanted to use let's encrypt and it appears the swag was "the way" forward.

Can not get a validation for duckdns.org.

always fail at:

http-01 challenge for ???.duckdns.org
Waiting for verification...
Challenge failed for domain ???.duckdns.org

No logs are saved in var/log/**

nslookup for duckdns.org resolves to my public exposed ip address.

Any directions?

Go West?

We are not mind readers, just so you know.

Hello,

I attempted to updated my Nextcloud inside the Nextcloud gui.   When I try to load the internal or external address I get this.

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error and was unable to complete your request.
Please contact the server administrator if this error reappears multiple times, please include the technical details below in your report.
More details can be found in the webserver log.

I visited what I thought was the webserver log.  The bottom of  \appdata\nextcloud\log\nginx\access.log:

172.19.0.4 - waymon [05/Mar/2021:16:58:21 -0700] "GET /status.php HTTP/1.1" 200 155 "-" "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows) mirall/3.0.3stable-Win64 (build 20201125) (Nextcloud)"
172.19.0.4 - waymon [05/Mar/2021:16:58:21 -0700] "PROPFIND /remote.php/webdav/ HTTP/1.1" 503 282 "-" "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows) mirall/3.0.3stable-Win64 (build 20201125) (Nextcloud)"

I am not sure what to do next.  I think I have a http 200 and 155 error?  And a webdav 503 and 282 error?

Any ideas?  Thanks.

Hey guys, 

I had a question in regards to SWAG and using multiple domains and multiple sites with NGINX. I am still new to all this stuff so i am still learning as I go. I have SWAG setup with my personal domain and I have my subdomains setup for Nexcloud/OnlyOffice. This is all currently working with no issues. I also have my own personal site hosted on the Nginx side of SWAG.

My question is that I have seen that NGINX can run multiple domains but I am unsure if we can do that here in SWAG. I can't find anything in the documentation in regards to multiple domains. I'd like to setup my business domain and website. If anyone has any insight on how I can accomplish this with SWAG that would be very helpful. 

1 hour ago, SiRMarlon said:

Hey guys, 

I had a question in regards to SWAG and using multiple domains and multiple sites with NGINX. I am still new to all this stuff so i am still learning as I go. I have SWAG setup with my personal domain and I have my subdomains setup for Nexcloud/OnlyOffice. This is all currently working with no issues. I also have my own personal site hosted on the Nginx side of SWAG.

My question is that I have seen that NGINX can run multiple domains but I am unsure if we can do that here in SWAG. I can't find anything in the documentation in regards to multiple domains. I'd like to setup my business domain and website. If anyone has any insight on how I can accomplish this with SWAG that would be very helpful. 

Have you looked at the readme at github? I think it's mentioned somewhere else too and certainly in this thread. From the readme:

-e EXTRA_DOMAINS=Additional fully qualified domain names (comma separated, no spaces) ie. extradomain.com,subdomain.anotherdomain.org,*.anotherdomain.org

• Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, strike said:

Have you looked at the readme at github? I think it's mentioned somewhere else too and certainly in this thread. From the readme:

I did read the read me but it does not really mention anything about using a second domain or "-e EXTRA_DOMAINS" the only about multiple domains I see is this. Nothing about using a whole other domain. Just subdomains. 

image.thumb.png.81705015b669752864f8e521eb979131.png