GaryMaster

Western Digital Caviar Green WD15EARS 1.5TB

• 64MB Cache
  • SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5"
  • Bare Drive

$99.99 + FS

Promo Code: EMCYNZT27

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136513&Tpk=WD15EARS

Note that this is the new EARS 64MB advanced format drive.  The deal is good today only (Tuesday, February 16th).

Note the importance of aligning advanced format drives in unRAID to achieve good performance:

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=5076.msg49831#msg49831

Note the importance of aligning advanced format drives in unRAID to achieve good performance:

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=5076.msg49831#msg49831

I remain confused on this issue.

- I read somewhere on here that alignment was only needed on Windows, not Linux.

- the link has a pretty chart, but no information on how to align the drives for better performance.

Is there a way to make the drives perform better?

- I read somewhere on here that alignment was only needed on Windows, not Linux.

- the link has a pretty chart, but no information on how to align the drives for better performance.

The linked thread has all of the information you need to resolve the issue.

Even though most flavors of linux do not require any special action be taken by the user, the file system used by unraid does not currently configure this automagically for you.

Yes, to make the drives perform better, install the Jumper.

From the link:

Setting the jumper on pins 7-8 of the WD advanced format drive corrects the alignment problem with unRAID.

thank you. guess i'm not seeing bolded text today.

question: I'm in the middle of pre-clearing 2 1.5TB drives without the jumper in place. Do i need to re-do the pre-clear after setting the jumper?

question: I'm in the middle of pre-clearing 2 1.5TB drives without the jumper in place. Do i need to re-do the pre-clear after setting the jumper?

I will let Joe L. answer this since I think that is his baby.  

The jumper doesn't do anything other than remapping the sectors by 1.  

You will lose any data you had on the drive if you add data to it before you move the jumper.  Then I would think that another preclear would be in order.

I will let Joe L. answer this since I think that is his baby.  

However, the jumper doesn't do anything other than remapping the sectors by 1 so I don't see any need to pre-clear again.  

You will, however, lose any data you had on the drive if you add data to it before you move the jumper.  

It all depends on what it does to sector 0.  If all of a sudden what was sector 1 is now visible as sector 0 you'll find the MBR all zeros and the drive completely unformatted as the partition table will also be all zeros.

Easy enough to test.  After you finish pre-clearing, power down, add the jumper, power up, run

preclear_disk.sh -t /dev/sdX

to test if it is still considered pre-cleared and has a proper pre-clear signature.  If not, you can always run preclear_disk.sh once more (and use the "-n" option to skip the pre/post read phases to save some time)

Joe L.

Thanks Joe, but I stopped the preclear and restarted after applying the jumper. I'm not in a rush, and this seemed more certain.

John

You can still help with the test, but in reverse.

After the pre-clear finishes, power down, remove the jumper, run the

preclear_disk.sh -t dev/sdX

to test it only.  It does not write to the disk at all, but it will let you know if the pre-clear signature is visible (I'm guessing it will not be there)

Once you perform that test, power down once more, put the jumper back on, and re-run with

preclear_disk.sh -t /dev/sdX

once more.  It should still show as pre-cleared and you are ready to assign it to a slot in your server.

After pre-clear, with jumper still installed, i get the following display.

I get the bolded text on both drives - what does that mean?

########################################################################

Device Model:    WDC WD15EARS-00Z5B1

Serial Number:    WD-WMAVU1566796

Firmware Version: 80.00A80

User Capacity:    1,500,301,910,016 bytes

Disk /dev/sda: 1500.3 GB, 1500301910016 bytes

255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 182401 cylinders, total 2930277168 sectors

Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes

Disk identifier: 0x00000000

Device Boot      Start        End      Blocks  Id  System

/dev/sda1              63  2930277167  1465138552+  0  Empty

Partition 1 does not end on cylinder boundary.

============================================================================

==

== DISK /dev/sda IS PRECLEARED

==

Removing the jumper gives these results:

Device Model:    WDC WD15EARS-00Z5B1

Serial Number:    WD-WMAVU1566796

Firmware Version: 80.00A80

User Capacity:    1,500,301,910,016 bytes

Disk /dev/sda: 1500.3 GB, 1500301910016 bytes

255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 182401 cylinders, total 2930277168 sectors

Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes

Disk identifier: 0x00000000

Disk /dev/sda doesn't contain a valid partition table

==

== Disk /dev/sda is NOT precleared

==

It says that on almost every drive I've ever checked...

It is a hold-over warning in fdisk from when there were a fixed number of sectors per cylinder on a disk and it warned if you created a partition with a partial cylinder at the end. 

Modern disks use a variable number of sectors per cylinder (and it is WAY more than 63) and fake the number reported to the bios.  You can ignore the warning.  It is meaningless.  In the same way, you do NOT have 255 disk heads in your physical disk.  If you did, you would have 127 1/2 platters.... not too likely.

A google search seems to indicate your drive has three platters.  Therefore, you have 6 heads, at most....  All this to make some older BIOS and partition table utilities happy.

With the jumper installed, it looks the same as it did previously... it just is handling the mapping of fake 512 bytes sectors differently to its internal 4k sectors.

Joe L.

I just added the results w/o the jumper, now neither drive now shows that message (well, duh, the partition doesn't exist). And now neither shows as pre-cleared.

thanks for the tool and info!

That confirms it.  The jumper MUST be put into place before you install the drive in an unRAID server (or at least before you pre-clear it, and before you assign it to an array slot)

If you pre-clear it, and then install the jumper, and then assign it to a slot in the array it will not be recognized as pre-cleared and unRAID will clear it for you.  The offline time saved by pre-clearing would not be saved...

Now, put the jumper back on the drive and it should once more show as pre-cleared. (If not, I apologize in advance)

Joe L.