[Plugin] CA Application Auto Update

Squid

Hi there,

great plugin, I'm always relying on it to give me a bit better feeling on the security update side of things 🙂

Quick question:

Is the order of docker apps recognized when updating? I'm running into a weird issue with an app which depends a db docker starts first.

Could there be a setting in which the db container takes a little bit too long to shutdown and the update for the other container is already on its way so it won't find the db container on startup?

Thanks for your time.

• 1 month later...
Just now, Fiservedpi said:

All of a sudden the plug-in is not actually updating the Dockers all my settings are the same but I have to hit the apply update button manually

Due to a change over at docker, unRaid always sees that there's an update available whenever you check for updates.  See bug report and fix within the thread

https://forums.unraid.net/bug-reports/stable-releases/dockers-wanting-to-update-but-dont-in-the-end-r618/

Ok while I usually shy away from having plugins modify system files, tonight I'll issue an update to this plugin that will fix the update always available issue to lessen all of the same questions being posted in various threads here

Sent from my NSA monitored device

• 2 months later...

I have a question about a setting:

In the "Docker Auto Update Settings" settings tab, there is the setting "Time to wait for docker graceful stop before killing".  What unit of time does this use?  Seconds or minutes?  What command is used for a graceful stop versus killing?  Does it kill dockerd or only containers currently running?

Thank you!

• Like 1
On 12/4/2019 at 12:23 PM, Squid said:

What errors

Sorry, unraid, or the plugin (i dont know) always thinks these dockers created by portainer need to be updated. If i click update the following error comes up:

"Configuration not found. Was this container created using this plugin?"

solution: It would be cool if that plugin can update the dockers, if not, atleast automatic skip dockers not created by unraid (?). (just look for the config file, is not there, skip?)

Edited by nuhll

If the containers aren't actually hosted online somewhere (dockerHub), then the update always being available thing will happen.

The plugin is tied directly to unRaid's management system, and uses it to update and check for updates due to simplicity, and I don't foresee that ever changing.

Another option I suppose for you would be to use WatchTower to do the updates.

Yes, i use watchtower. 

They are online hosted... my stack file looks like this:

I dont want you to support updating those "stack dockers"? but i mean, couldnt you just auto exclude these? (or is that a suggestion regrading unraid?)

version: "2"

services:

watchtower:
    image: v2tec/watchtower
    volumes: 
      - /var/run/docker.sock:/var/run/docker.sock
    command: 
      --interval 86400
    networks: 
      - webserver

nginx_proxy:
    image: jwilder/nginx-proxy
    restart: unless-stopped 
    ports:
      - "123:80"
      - "124:443"
    volumes:
    - /var/run/docker.sock:/tmp/docker.sock:ro
    - /mnt/user/appdata/webserver/nginx_proxy/certs:/etc/nginx/certs
    - /mnt/user/appdata/webserver/nginx_proxy/vhost.d:/etc/nginx/vhost.d
    - /mnt/user/appdata/webserver/nginx_proxy/html:/usr/share/nginx/html
    - /mnt/user/appdata/webserver/nginx_proxy/conf.d:/etc/nginx/conf.d
    labels:
      - "com.github.jrcs.letsencrypt_nginx_proxy_companion.nginx_proxy"
    networks: 
      - webserver

letsencrypt:
    image: jrcs/letsencrypt-nginx-proxy-companion
    depends_on:
      - nginx_proxy
    volumes:
      - /var/run/docker.sock:/var/run/docker.sock:ro
      - /mnt/user/appdata/webserver/nginx_proxy/certs:/etc/nginx/certs
      - /mnt/user/appdata/webserver/nginx_proxy/vhost.d:/etc/nginx/vhost.d
      - /mnt/user/appdata/webserver/nginx_proxy/html:/usr/share/nginx/html
    networks: 
      - webserver

phpmyadmin:
    image: phpmyadmin/phpmyadmin
    depends_on:
      - db
      - letsencrypt
    volumes: 
      - /mnt/user/appdata/webserver/phpmyadmin/config/config.user.inc.php:/etc/phpmyadmin/config.user.inc.php
      - /mnt/user/appdata/webserver/phpmyadmin/html:/var/www/html
    environment:
      PMA_HOST: db
      PMA_PORT: 3306
      PMA_USER: root
      PMA_PASSWORD: 12345
    ports:
      - "8081:80"
    networks: 
      - webserver

db:
    image: mysql
    command: ['--character-set-server=utf8mb4', '--collation-server=utf8mb4_unicode_ci','--default-authentication-plugin=mysql_native_password']
    volumes:
    -  /mnt/user/appdata/webserver/mysql:/var/lib/mysql
    expose:
      - "3306"
    environment:
      MYSQL_ROOT_PASSWORD: 12345
    networks: 
      - webserver

networks: 
  webserver:

Edited by nuhll
  • 2 months later...

any idea why i would get this error?

dont think i've done any changes to this file personally.

It doesn't seem like the plugins respect the delay setting any longer, they will always auto update instantly.

Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/ca.update.applications/include/exec.php on line 100

jl9vRzt.png

Edited by MammothJerk
  • 2 weeks later...

So quick question on the best way/how to configure, I have a nightly appdata backup at 5am and want the docker containers (that are stopped for the backups) updated after backup completion.

I've already configured the backup and I have set 'Update Applications On Restart' to yes.

If I leave the docker auto update settings 'Update Check Frequency' to Disabled will it still check for updates and complete during the nightly backup?

4 hours ago, sasjafor said:

Since a few weeks I get orphaned images regularly from the auto update. One docker container is always affected and usually there's an additional one at random. Any idea what could be causing this?

Running unraid 6.8.3 and the newest version of this plugin.

Go to Tools - Diagnostics and attach the complete diagnostics zip file to your NEXT post. I may split this into its own thread since it likely has nothing to do with this plugin.

I just installed this plugin. Thanks for the work! Is there anyway to have it notify to a slack (or discord with /slack) channel like watchtower?

Just noticed the agent notification settings in the notification settings.. doh

Edited by Tuumke

Not sure if this belongs in this thread but, is there a way to get docker release notes? Right now, I'd have to click to open the context menu, then select "Project Page" if it has one, which isn't always related to the docker image update, and then dig through the site to find them.

Can this plugin send that information through notifications?

• 2 weeks later...

@Squid Thanks for this great plugin.

Can I request an update for those of us running Unraid 6.8.3 that use docker container to container networking? @bonienl updated the docker logic to trigger an update of docker images that depend on the network of another docker image that has been updated.  I believe this logic is triggered in the php code, so the docker page needs to be loaded to allow this to happen.  Is it possible to have the plugin "load the docker page" to allow this to happen after the docker auto update is executed?

Thanks!

-JesterEE