[Plugin] CA Appdata Backup / Restore - Deprecated

Squid

1 hour ago, Rikumo1978 said:

@wgstarks I was wondering what path you used to get the backup script to work with your Unassigned Drive. I have a similar setup and I am using /mnt/disks/Torrents/Backups and it fails every time! I know it's something simple but everything I try doesn't work. Any thoughts?

I use the path shown in UD for that mount point. You may need to click the name to see the path. In this case it's /mnt/disks/ST332063_OA.

IMG_0974.PNG

Edited by wgstarks

Something very weird is going on during/after a backup has occurred and I am struggling to track it down.

I lose my config, the docker tab disappears from the main menu and I have to shut the machine down and reboot to get it back.

I have taken a diagnostic log but there are no errors, as it seems after the event there is no issue.

I struggle to get a diagnostic when the issue occurs as the menu's are all misbehaving.

The issue only occurs during/after a backup has taken place?

Any thoughts as to how to track this down further please?

Thanks in advance.

I have log to stick enabled but there is no log for today, only a successful log for the 24th April.

Edited by local.bin
2 hours ago, local.bin said:

Something very weird is going on during/after a backup has occurred and I am struggling to track it down.

I lose my config, the docker tab disappears from the main menu and I have to shut the machine down and reboot to get it back.

I have taken a diagnostic log but there are no errors, as it seems after the event there is no issue.

I struggle to get a diagnostic when the issue occurs as the menu's are all misbehaving.

The issue only occurs during/after a backup has taken place?

Any thoughts as to how to track this down further please?

Thanks in advance.

I have log to stick enabled but there is no log for today, only a successful log for the 24th April.

When it happens again, try either from the local console (or via Putty / SSH) logging in and entering

diagnostics

and then post the resulting file here.  Also zip up the backup log when it happens, upload it to drop box, and post the link...

• Upvote 1

great work thanks for dedication..reminds me to send a beer

Im not sure if I recently messed it up or not.  I purchased a nvme drive, decided to add it and changed cache (single drive) to now a pool which change to btrfs.  Now after I try to restore and allow the process to finish, I reboot then the cache is back to single drive and unmountable.(doesnt change file system so not sure what happens?)

I then add nvme to pool and restart the process over again.  any suggestions where Im going wrong? or I have to redo all apps and settings?

thanks again

great work thanks for dedication..reminds me to send a beer

Im not sure if I recently messed it up or not.  I purchased a nvme drive, decided to add it and changed cache (single drive) to now a pool which change to btrfs.  Now after I try to restore and allow the process to finish, I reboot then the cache is back to single drive and unmountable.(doesnt change file system so not sure what happens?)

I then add nvme to pool and restart the process over again.  any suggestions where Im going wrong? or I have to redo all apps and settings?
thanks again

I don't run a cache pool so I'm not sure. I believe there is a faq post about that issue. Or post a new topic in general support

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, got a couple questions that are going to seem dumb to all of you..  I'm still getting used to unRaid so bear with me ;)

Trying to set up this plugin, in the settings the very first option is the appdata share to set up

Appdata Share (Source):
(If your appData share is not listed, consider installing this plugin in conjunction with this/

My appdata share was not listed automatically, so I did go ahead and install the linked plugin (user scripts), but the link to the "in conjuction with this" was invalid, so I don't know what it's pointing to.. I didn't see any scripts anywhere that sounded like it related to this....... if it's still needed?

Second, looking at the help for the backup plugin, it states

Appdata Share (Source)
This is the cache-only share where all of your docker appdata is stored (usually /mnt/cache/appdata). Note that if your appdata folder is not listed here, then this module will not function for you. 

Bold font added for emphasis.  Is this just an outdated instruction? My appdata was not listed, do I just put in the /mnt/cache/appdata? or because it was not listed automatically this plugin will not work? 

Just trying to explore all aspects of unRaid and using plugins, I probably don't need my appdata backed up, but if I can do it then why not just go ahead and do it? ;) 

This might not be the correct place to ask about something different, but are there any plugins or methods to back up the entire unRaid configuration? All settings, what plugins are installed, etc? Those are not included under the appdata umbrella that this plugin backs up, correct?

Thank you for indulging me :) 

Edited by Energen
10 hours ago, Energen said:

Hey guys, got a couple questions that are going to seem dumb to all of you..  I'm still getting used to unRaid so bear with me ;)

Trying to set up this plugin, in the settings the very first option is the appdata share to set up

My appdata share was not listed automatically, so I did go ahead and install the linked plugin (user scripts), but the link to the "in conjuction with this" was invalid, so I don't know what it's pointing to.. I didn't see any scripts anywhere that sounded like it related to this....... if it's still needed?

Second, looking at the help for the backup plugin, it states

Bold font added for emphasis.  Is this just an outdated instruction? My appdata was not listed, do I just put in the /mnt/cache/appdata? or because it was not listed automatically this plugin will not work? 

Just trying to explore all aspects of unRaid and using plugins, I probably don't need my appdata backed up, but if I can do it then why not just go ahead and do it? ;) 

This might not be the correct place to ask about something different, but are there any plugins or methods to back up the entire unRaid configuration? All settings, what plugins are installed, etc? Those are not included under the appdata umbrella that this plugin backs up, correct?

Thank you for indulging me :) 

lol  I can't remember what it was linking to off the top of my head either.  (It was for when there was no cache drive present).

Surprised thought that when clicking into the box it didn't bring up a dropdown selector that allowed you to select your appdata share.

Backing up all settings, etc:  This plugin will do everything with the exception of VM vdisks.

So I don't know happened but I configured this, created a backup, and then found out that all of my appdata was wiped.  My LibreElec vm configuration is gone (the vm itself works, but the libreelec kodi settings are gone), mariadb databases and configuration, Emby Server, Plex, all configurations and databases are gone.  

And even though the backup was "successful", the backup has none of those files that are now gone. 

I didn't change anything in the settings other than the source appdata location and the destination backup location so I don't see how this could have been my fault.  

Off to rebuild everything, after uninstalling this plugin.

Edited by Energen
  • 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, zin105 said:

Rclone uploads the same files everyday because it thinks the files backed up with this plugin is new I'm guessing. Any way to make this plugin not overwrite existing files? Rclone uploads everything that has a different modified date.

If you're using dated backup sets, then rclone would in fact continually upload every day because the folder name itself has changed every single time the backup runs, even though only a few files within the folder have changed.

If you're not using dated backup sets, then it should work fine for you as the datestamp on all of the files is correct, and unchanged files are not updated in any way at all.

But feel free to play around with the rsync options if you choose.  On my system, the timestamps are not changing

Edited by Squid
14 hours ago, Krzaku said:

@Squid Could you add a config option to change the docker stop timeout? I've noticed that my deluge instance throws errors for incomplete torrents and I think the reason may be that it is not shutting down correctly.

Easy enough.  I can't test it though until next Friday's round of lsio updates, so a release will have to wait until then.

You will however have the same issue on any docker stops issued by unRaid itself (array stop, etc) as there is no option for that, and will utilize docker's default of 10 seconds.

3 minutes ago, zin105 said:

I found why it behaves like it does. On the left is the destination folder, and in the right is the source folder. It doesn't preserve the timestamp and instead writes a new one for every backup.

DT8wrgl.png

No where near enough information, as for instance Why is it copying the files over to the backup set...  Post the settings for the backup..

Its the files from the flash drive that are being uploaded continuously.  Currently the backup deletes the existing backup within appdata for the flash then simply recopies it (flash drive got tacked on, and it was a simple solution to how to handle it).   I'll issue an update to switch it over to an rsync, but in the meantime, you can set a separate destination for it outside of what rclone is looking at

First off, thanks for this plugin. Appreciate it greatly.

Q: I have it set to use dated sub-folders for the backups. I see it for the Appdata backup but it looks like flash & VM xml are just overwritten.

Would you be receptive to modifying so that those also go into dated sub-folders?

Reason I ask, I have the backups scheduled but do not always check the status. Let's say I make a change (VM or flash) and later after a couple backups have occurred, I realize something happened but because only have the current backups, makes it difficult to determine what was changed or recover to a later date when known working.