Pfsense VM

NeoDude

I know that there has been posts about this in the past but I'm just about to take the plunge with replacing my ASUS router with a Pfsense VM and wanted to check if there are any updated guides for how to do this?

Also, I'm looking at buying a Dual NIC card for use by Pfsense and I'm slightly confused at the vastly differing prices on Amazon.

Would this or this do the job if passed through to my Pfsense VM? Any reason to go for the other cards costing 4 or 5 times as much?

go ahead and do it, I did it with a Mikrotik CHR vm and it works flawlessly with pppoe connection. Though I only have 2 ports on my unRaid box so I had to use the old router as a switch. If you have the right wifi module you can even pass it to the vm and set it up as a wireless AP as well.

I currently have pfsense running as a vm on my unraid box with an Intel dual nic passed through.  It works very well, the only issue you may experience is if you lose power to unraid, you lose your network.  Make sure to keep a machine set up with a static ip or you won't be able to connect in that situation.  The host will not receive any packets from the nic if you have it passed through to pfsense vm, so no security concerns there.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk