Unable to access tower from windows machine

HAVOC

I just got unRaid 6.2.4 setup. I was able to access the shares on my Win10 laptop when the default root user did not have a password. After I changed the root password, I can no longer access the shares. It prompts me for a username/password but no combination works for me.

Thanks this has been an all day disaster for me. Is the best solution to make all shares public?

That's the easiest solution, but definitely NOT the best solution, as it leaves you wide open to ransomware attack.  You may want to read the ransomware threads in the Security forum board.

Great so basically all the money invested into unraid and i cant use it with windows....WOW

How probable can this assumption be?

Do you really think all unRAID users are using Linux only?  ???

Usually I'm not pissed that easy but seeing such an ignorant behavior drives me...well...

Maybe read the links that RobJ posted for ya, will ya!?

Edit:

I see you're registered since 2011.

Has your unRAID worked ever since? With Windows?

Going to check some of your posts.

Yes I have been a user for that long. I only post when their is an issue. Frustration is the real key to my outburst which I apologize for. I really have no clue to be honest nothing has changed. Did the update and immediately no access to the shares. Been using windows for the whole time with no issues on the shares. I checked out the links and attempted with no luck. Thanks Boys.

I put the ip in and the browser pops up.

You have to precede the IP with \\, just the same as when you type in the servername.

\\IP_of_your_unRAID

Also, did you ever read that link? If you can access a public share then SMB is working and the secret to accessing a secure or private share is there in that link. The problem is all about the way Windows works for accessing any network files and is not really an unRAID problem.

I put the ip in and the browser pops up.

You have to precede the IP with \\, just the same as when you type in the servername.

\\IP_of_your_unRAID

Also, did you ever read that link? If you can access a public share then SMB is working and the secret to accessing a secure or private share is there in that link. The problem is all about the way Windows works for accessing any network files and is not really an unRAID problem.

Alright no luck with entering the server ip address all I get is a windows security prompt to enter username and password. I opened up a cmd command line and entered "net use * /delete" the read back was their are no entries in the list.

I found something strange in the network.cfg file the IP address of my server is 192.168.1.6 not 192.168.1.22

# Generated settings:
USE_DHCP="yes"
IPADDR="192.168.1.22"
NETMASK="255.255.255.0"
GATEWAY="192.168.1.1"
DHCP_KEEPRESOLV="no"
DNS_SERVER1="192.168.1.1"
DNS_SERVER2=""
DNS_SERVER3=""
BONDING="no"
BONDING_MODE="1"
BRIDGING="yes"
BRNAME="br0"

Alright no luck with entering the server ip address all I get is a windows security prompt to enter username and password. I opened up a cmd command line and entered "net use * /delete" the read back was their are no entries in the list.

I found something strange in the network.cfg file the IP address of my server is 192.168.1.6 not 192.168.1.22

# Generated settings:
USE_DHCP="yes"
IPADDR="192.168.1.22"
NETMASK="255.255.255.0"
GATEWAY="192.168.1.1"
DHCP_KEEPRESOLV="no"
DNS_SERVER1="192.168.1.1"
DNS_SERVER2=""
DNS_SERVER3=""
BONDING="no"
BONDING_MODE="1"
BRIDGING="yes"
BRNAME="br0"

Since your IP address is being set by your router via the DHCP process, it can be change under some circumstances.  (With most routers, rebooting is the only way it will change unless the computer/server/device has not been active for a considerable period of time.)  That is the disadvantage to using DHCP.  Using a static IP address avoids this problem but it requires much more network administration duties on your part.  And exactly what are those duties are varies from router to router. 

Let me re-clarify I have unraid dhcp reserved for 192.168.1.6. During the upgrade I had to switch the ports on the server due to connectivity issues. I feel like im getting close to the root of the problem.

AHA! dhcp reservations are tied to MAC addresses, which typically follow the physical hardware, unless manually forced by the OS. So, when you switched physical ports, your dhcp reservation was no longer in effect.