Advanced Format Drives - WD10EARS WD15EARS WD20EARS

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My only EARS drive is my parity drive.  Easy enough to just remove it, zero a couple of sectors and re-add it and let 4.6.1 do it's thing I guess.

Kryspy

Since the parity drive has no file system that may have no effect.    We'll need to learn more about how Tom's logic affects the parity drive.

Joe L.

New Drives - Use Jumpers right away.

Used Drives w/o jumpers - I jump them, low level format them with "Hard Drive Low Level Format Tool" http://hddguru.com/

Then Pre-clear drive.

Ready to use.

W/O jumper they start @ 64

W jumper they start @ 63

Hope that helps

im low level formatting a used drive (which i might use instead of the one that gives error preclearing)

this formatting gives me constantly "format error occured at offset X" during format

is this normal?

97930635.jpg

it keeps going like that

formatting gives me constantly "format error occured at offset X" during format

is this normal?

I'm not sure if you really need to ask that question.

Errors are not normal, they are "errors"  (probably unreadable sectors) 

You'll know when you see a SMART report.

Joe L.

i've quit it, and im running the wd data lifeguard diagnostics

and ran the write zero's

its almost done...

i might put this drive in the unraid and preclear since the brand new one gives errors or locks up during preclear, although i have my doubts something is wrong with the hardware, since other persons has the same thing, it would be very much luck

and ran the write zero's

its almost done...

i might put this drive in the unraid and preclear since the brand new one gives errors or locks up during preclear, although i have my doubts something is wrong with the hardware, since other persons has the same thing, it would be very much luck

And I'm assuming you think the EARS firmware is bug-free when changing jumper settings?  We know it will lock-up under some conditions and no longer respond until power-cycled.   That sounds like a bug to me.  The bug might not show itself when the drive is used with the MS drivers... and it might be why it is not yet fixed.

preclear does nothing that a parity check or a disk rebuild wont eventually do.  It reads and writes all the sectors.  It might be the catalyst to a lock-up, but the same lock-up will occur when you put the disk into service.

and ran the write zero's

its almost done...

And I'm assuming you think the EARS firmware is bug-free when changing jumper settings?  We know it will lock-up under some conditions and no longer respond until power-cycled.   That sounds like a bug to me.  The bug might not show itself when the drive is used with the MS drivers... and it might be why it is not yet fixed.

preclear does nothing that a parity check or a disk rebuild will eventully do.  It reads and writes all the sectors.  It might be the catalyst to a lock-up, but the same lock-up will occur when you put the disk into service.

What i mean with saying i doubt ........ is the fact the people i refer to getting problems too is with a new drive jumpered right away... and preclearing it not someone using the drive before then jumper it

no, i just dont know what to do...

i had this drive, used unjumpered, but ive read jumpering it, might cause problems, then after reading that, i knew a person who needed the same but new drive, i could arrange i get the new one, he gets mine, i tried preclearing new one, but that gives problems (2 times for now), so thinking back to keep mine, and do try jumpering it like you said and use low format but that gave problems too , so i got 2 drives not working as it should , so i'm really fed up with those drives

thatswhy i ask here to help me to chose what i should do now

ok...read thru...newb question coming.  Server hardware on its way.  A 2TB WD Black for a parity with 1TB Black as a cache...a new clean 2TB EARS and 3 1TB EARS.  The 1TBs have only been used in Window's systems thru USB docks without jumpers. So going forward with whatever unRAID pro version on a stick that ships, do I set up the new 2TB EARS without jumper, then the parity, then the cache and feed thru the network the data off of 1 of the used EARS?  I keep the jumpers off and preclean, assign, and start loading from other drives repating the process as I move data?

So, if I have a parity and 1 drive with data on it, both are non-advanced formatted and no jumpers, what is the quickest way to get them both upgrading with an advanced format?

If they are not advanced format then there is no point in "upgrading" them IF you are just talking about erasing the drives and starting them like they are new.

IF you are talking about replacing the physical hard drive itself then just use the preclear script with the -A option to test the new drives, version 4.7beta1 of unRAID and use the 4K alignment switch.

ver. 4.7 Final.

I have 2 x 2TB EARS and 3 x 1TB EARS ....all data drives.  All have data, but without jumpers.  read fine, fast enough I guess?!?  The 1TB drives are MBR 4k aligned, but the 2x 2TB drives are MBR unaligned.

Should they be?  Since they are working, do I gain anything?  And for what I gain is it worth the rebuild?  If no jumpers are needed anymore, is it as easy as pulling disk1, preclear -A, drop it back in as disk1, reformat...is there a rebuild from parity in there somewhere?

Are you saying that you are currently running them unaligned?  If you are running them in 4.7 then they should be aligned automatically.  If you are running 4.6 or earlier, then you should upgrade to 4.7.

In any scenario, the only thing you can gain is a bit of speed.  If you are satisfied with the speed as it is, then I suppose there's no reason to do anything.