[Support] Linuxserver.io - DuckDNS

Hi folks. New to unraid and just installed this plugin. Love it! One thing I noticed is it tries to update every 5 minutes. I get a lot of "something went wrong" errors in the log. It does eventually update my ip. I am wondering is there is a way to update like every hour or so. Five minute intervals might be causing my issue. 

21 hours ago, bclinton said:

Hi folks. New to unraid and just installed this plugin. Love it! One thing I noticed is it tries to update every 5 minutes. I get a lot of "something went wrong" errors in the log. It does eventually update my ip. I am wondering is there is a way to update like every hour or so. Five minute intervals might be causing my issue. 

Not sure when your problem started but as of right now duckdns.org is down so that probably has something to do with it.  My log is filled with the same message.  I'd wait for the server to be up and then check.  I've never had an issue with the default times.

So i've been looking into this again and I still get a lot of "Something went wrong, please check your settings", and the DuckDNS service (website) is up.

If my duckdns address is testing123.duckdns.org and I only specify testing123 as the subdomain I get frequent something went wrong messages inbetween repeated "Your IP was updated at " messages ---- if the IP has not changed this should be a different message such as no change, nothing done.

If I specify any/multiple subdomains, such as sonarr,radarr then I get constant something went wrong messages and no IP update messages.

In any regard, is this DuckDNS docker still operating accurately? 

Edited by Energen
13 hours ago, Energen said:

So i've been looking into this again and I still get a lot of "Something went wrong, please check your settings", and the DuckDNS service (website) is up.

If my duckdns address is testing123.duckdns.org and I only specify testing123 as the subdomain I get frequent something went wrong messages inbetween repeated "Your IP was updated at " messages ---- if the IP has not changed this should be a different message such as no change, nothing done.

If I specify any/multiple subdomains, such as sonarr,radarr then I get constant something went wrong messages and no IP update messages.

In any regard, is this DuckDNS docker still operating accurately? 

It's still operating. Working here without errors.

Spoke too soon. Looks like it's not updating the IP for some reason.

Edited by saarg
  • 1 month later...

Hi - I am having trouble getting duckdns/swag/wireguard to work for me. I've followed a number of guides but can't get it going.

Symptoms:

- Going to https://MYSERVER.duckdns.org - cannot reach server. Specific ports (e.g. :8989 for Sonarr) do not work either

- Wireguard peers when service enabled cannot reach any IPs.

I believe I have configured all correctly, and port forwarding for Wireguard appears properly enabled.

Where would I start to troubleshoot this? All help appreciated.

Not really a big issue but does anybody know why my DuckDNS container would be mis-reporting a use of 9 Exabytes of RAM? I'm not getting any errors in the log at the time these spikes happen so I'm not worried it's broken, just is mildly annoying/funny because it makes my status graph unreadable as it scales Y to account for the spike: 

image.thumb.png.11044f6e9b926e429900c2d06a370549.png

EDIT: This is the Grafana query used to source the data from Influxdb: 

image.png.ec2833f2cf88e8563022e7fefd7f826d.png

And I believe this is the only portion of the telegraf.conf file that would collect memory usage data: 

image.png.a274f45bccdeb16fee22740680d557f5.png

Edited by scd780

I know this has been answered before, however I feel something may have changed since those answers. I would like to run a second instance of this container, however whenever I go to add it again from apps, it just changes the settings of the existing container (I have changed the name of the container, however all that does is change it from 'duckdns' to 'duckdns2' with the same subdomains and a new token - ie does not create a second instance. 

What am I missing here?

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/2/2021 at 3:17 AM, thatnovaguy said:

I've been having this problem for roughly 3 weeks now. I'm not getting any updates, though. Is this a problem on the docker side or the duckdns side?

Sorry mate,

my log is clean now - I'm unsure as to which side needed fixing...

Cheers

Stefan

• 4 months later...
22 hours ago, Mattti1912 said:

Hello

I've installed duckdns but when i type my dynamic dns, it keeps hitting my router.. Mikrotik..

How can i change that??

regards

Hi, you’ll need to direct that traffic to the appropriate location via a proxy. Most people use the SWAG or NGINX-Proxy-Manager (NPM) containers. I recommend NPM, more user friendly imo! 

You’ll want to look into it more if this is brand new to you but the gist of it is that you forward ports 80 and 443 from your router to your proxy software and then your proxy software has NGINX config files and SSL certs to authoritatively direct traffic on your network. 

The flow of data would be someone visits your domain (subdomain1.duckdns.org), the duckdns service tells the user’s browser that that subdomain routes to your public IP address, the browser then sends an HTTP/S request to your public IP, this is forwarded from your router to your proxy software via the port forwarding rule, the proxy software then looks at its own config files and knows that subdomain1 goes to location X.X.X.X:XXXX on your network vs subdomain2 which goes to Y.Y.Y.Y:YYYY and forwards the traffic there for access. 

there’s a few good videos and guides out there so just search around and you’ll find something. The key word to use is “reverse proxy” for informational videos and “NPM” or “NGINX Proxy Manager” for guides. Just remember to NEVER open your UnRAID webGUI to the internet through a proxy like this, it’s not secure enough for that. If you need remote access, setup Wireguard instead. It’s either a plug-in or built in to unRAID now, I forget but very easy to setup and plenty of guides as well. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
On 1/14/2022 at 2:01 PM, keithko said:

I also get like 9GB Ram Usage in a couple of Days, I dont know why

Yeah, I too have this kind of problem. At first start the container eats up 5801MiB of ram.

image.thumb.png.042c85a12e7b1803cb0956a7d50d832d.png

Don't know why, as it does not have a GUI or else.

Before I updated it, it used as much as 9 gigs of ram o.o

• 3 months later...

Hey,

my duckdns container isn't updatin the IP anymore. This is what in the log is:

Retrieving subdomain and token from the environment variables
log will be output to docker log
Something went wrong, please check your settings Sat Sep  3 14:39:17 PDT 2022
The response returned was:

[custom-init] no custom files found exiting...
[ls.io-init] done.
curl: (3) URL using bad/illegal format or missing URL
Something went wrong, please check your settings Sat Sep  3 14:44:48 PDT 2022

Something went wrong, please check your settings Sat Sep  3 14:46:35 PDT 2022

Something went wrong, please check your settings Sat Sep  3 14:52:32 PDT 2022

• 2 weeks later...

Hello guys,

I get an error message with my duckdns " error: ip address for name.duckdns.org was already not updated ".

I registered with duckdns, created a subdomain and got my token. Installed the docker and entered the SUBDOMAINS and TOKEN. At first, it worked fine, but at some point my IP address was not updated. Can someone help me how to fix this?

In my Log terminal i get always this

-------------------------------------
          _         ()
         | |  ___   _    __
         | | / __| | |  /  \
         | | \__ \ | | | () |
         |_| |___/ |_|  \__/

Brought to you by linuxserver.io

To support the app dev(s) visit:
DuckDNS: https://www.patreon.com/user?u=

To support LSIO projects visit:
https://www.linuxserver.io/donate/
GID/UID

User uid:    99
User gid:    100

Something went wrong, please check your settings Mon Sep 12 13:36:20 PDT 2022

[custom-init] no custom files found, skipping...
[ls.io-init] done.
Something went wrong, please check your settings Mon Sep 12 13:43:33 PDT 2022

Something went wrong, please check your settings Mon Sep 12 13:46:14 PDT 2022

Something went wrong, please check your settings Mon Sep 12 13:52:19 PDT 2022

Something went wrong, please check your settings Mon Sep 12 13:56:20 PDT 2022

Something went wrong, please check your settings Mon Sep 12 14:02:29 PDT 2022

• 3 months later...

I'm having issues with getting this docker working, all I'm getting are these statuses in the log:

image.thumb.png.0a96e570f60f4273584a074ce1b9fd4f.png

Not entirely sure what to do without any response codes. Any debugging steps I should take?

On 9/12/2022 at 2:08 PM, Luc1691 said:

Hello guys,

I get an error message with my duckdns " error: ip address for name.duckdns.org was already not updated ".

I registered with duckdns, created a subdomain and got my token. Installed the docker and entered the SUBDOMAINS and TOKEN. At first, it worked fine, but at some point my IP address was not updated. Can someone help me how to fix this?

In my Log terminal i get always this

_         ()
         | |  ___   _    __
         | | / __| | |  /  \
         | | \__ \ | | | () |
         |_| |___/ |_|  \__/

Brought to you by linuxserver.io

To support the app dev(s) visit:
DuckDNS: https://www.patreon.com/user?u=

To support LSIO projects visit:
https://www.linuxserver.io/donate/
GID/UID

User uid:    99
User gid:    100

Something went wrong, please check your settings Mon Sep 12 13:36:20 PDT 2022

[custom-init] no custom files found, skipping...
[ls.io-init] done.
Something went wrong, please check your settings Mon Sep 12 13:43:33 PDT 2022

Something went wrong, please check your settings Mon Sep 12 13:46:14 PDT 2022

Something went wrong, please check your settings Mon Sep 12 13:52:19 PDT 2022

Something went wrong, please check your settings Mon Sep 12 13:56:20 PDT 2022

Something went wrong, please check your settings Mon Sep 12 14:02:29 PDT 2022

Edit: I checked my log terminal and I'm getting the same error as @Luc1691 - curl: (3) URL using bad/illegal format or missing URL. I've tried just the subdomain name without duckdns.org, the entire url, adding http://, etc., and none have worked.

Edited by Kyle W
  • 4 weeks later...
On 12/27/2022 at 5:20 PM, Kyle W said:

I'm having issues with getting this docker working, all I'm getting are these statuses in the log:

image.thumb.png.0a96e570f60f4273584a074ce1b9fd4f.png

Not entirely sure what to do without any response codes. Any debugging steps I should take?

Edit: I checked my log terminal and I'm getting the same error as @Luc1691 - curl: (3) URL using bad/illegal format or missing URL. I've tried just the subdomain name without duckdns.org, the entire url, adding http://, etc., and none have worked.

Well it seems that the Unraid GUI added a leading space to my token when copy/pasting. Thanks to the fine folks on the Linuxserver.io Discord for catching that!

Also, according to them this thread is no longer being monitored/maintained so check out their Discord for support.

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...
On 1/25/2023 at 3:42 PM, Kyle W said:

Well it seems that the Unraid GUI added a leading space to my token when copy/pasting. Thanks to the fine folks on the Linuxserver.io Discord for catching that!

Also, according to them this thread is no longer being monitored/maintained so check out their Discord for support.

Same for me, good find.

• 6 months later...

Howdy!

The container update overnight causes this to show up in the log after every successful IP update:
"Detecting IPv4 via DuckDNS".

So I get:

Your IP was updated at Sat Oct 28 06:29:03 CDT 2023
Detecting IPv4 via DuckDNS
Your IP was updated at Sat Oct 28 06:31:20 CDT 2023
Your IP was updated at Sat Oct 28 06:36:32 CDT 2023

etc.

Is this anything to be concerned with?

• 1 month later...
On 10/28/2023 at 7:36 AM, nraygun said:

Howdy!

The container update overnight causes this to show up in the log after every successful IP update:
"Detecting IPv4 via DuckDNS".

So I get:

Your IP was updated at Sat Oct 28 06:29:03 CDT 2023
Your IP was updated at Sat Oct 28 06:31:20 CDT 2023
Your IP was updated at Sat Oct 28 06:36:32 CDT 2023

etc.

Is this anything to be concerned with?

Assuming there's nothing wrong here.

• 3 months later...

This docker seems to have updates available on a very regular basis, like every week or so.  But I believe that this is a relatively small and simple docker, there is no UI, it just updates your dynamic IP and writes to the log.

So why are there so many updates to this docker?

1 hour ago, wayner said:

This docker seems to have updates available on a very regular basis, like every week or so.  But I believe that this is a relatively small and simple docker, there is no UI, it just updates your dynamic IP and writes to the log.

So why are there so many updates to this docker?

Pure speculation, but most likely it's updates to the base OS that the container uses. Think of containers like miniature virtual machines, they have an OS layer as well as the application or whatever script it's running.