[Support] Linuxserver.io - DuckDNS

I've had my DuckDNS docker working for well over a year now, up until this morning.  I just upgraded my modem from an Arris 6141 to an Arris 6183 and now I cannot get duckdns to link my url to my server. 

I've checked and my external IP address is the same as before.  Everything else on my system is working (internet access, etc)

What could the problem be?

I've had my DuckDNS docker working for well over a year now, up until this morning.  I just upgraded my router from an Arris 6141 to an Arris 6183 and now I cannot get duckdns to link my url to my server. 

I've checked and my external IP address is the same as before.  Everything else on my system is working (internet access, etc)

Sounds like you did some setup on the Arris before, that you haven't replicated now ... most likely you're not forwarding a port from Arris to the unRAID server running the docker.

I've had my DuckDNS docker working for well over a year now, up until this morning.  I just upgraded my router from an Arris 6141 to an Arris 6183 and now I cannot get duckdns to link my url to my server. 

Sounds like you did some setup on the Arris before, that you haven't replicated now ... most likely you're not forwarding a port from Arris to the unRAID server running the docker.

Sorry, I meant modem not router. I'll fix my original post.

Duckdns docker only updates your external ip address on the duckdns servers. You said your external ip is still the same so the duckdns docker wouldn't actually do anything as there is nothing to update.

Accessing into your network through that ip depends on your modem and router settings

• 1 month later...

I am having an issue with this docker not updating my ip. logs show this every 5 mins when it tries to update the ip....

/app/duck.conf: line 1: ********************************: command not found
Something went wrong, please check your settings Tue Mar 21 18:40:02 GMT 2017

I deleted the docker and reinstalled it but no joy. and there is no appdata folder so i have no idea what else to change.... 

basically i need to update the ip manually atm.

the stared out bit is my token 

Edit***

I updated my token and reinstalled the docker again but i still get an issue...

Something went wrong, please check your settings Tue Mar 21 18:50:00 GMT 2017
Something went wrong, please check your settings Tue Mar 21 18:55:00 GMT 2017

Edited by tazire
6 hours ago, tazire said:

I am having an issue with this docker not updating my ip. logs show this every 5 mins when it tries to update the ip....

/app/duck.conf: line 1: ********************************: command not found
Something went wrong, please check your settings Tue Mar 21 18:40:02 GMT 2017

I deleted the docker and reinstalled it but no joy. and there is no appdata folder so i have no idea what else to change.... 

basically i need to update the ip manually atm.

the stared out bit is my token 

Edit***

I updated my token and reinstalled the docker again but i still get an issue...

Something went wrong, please check your settings Tue Mar 21 18:50:00 GMT 2017
Something went wrong, please check your settings Tue Mar 21 18:55:00 GMT 2017

Did you enter one subdomain or multiple? If multiple, are they comma separated with no spaces? Did you input just the subdomain or the whole domain? Do either the subdomains or the token contain any weird characters? Any quotation marks? There should only be letters, numbers, dash and maybe underline in either

• 2 months later...

Trying to install the DuckDNS docker. Must be doing something wrong. Entered the subdomain (only one) and token and select "apply" but nothing happens, just get an xml and command.

Edit: I guess third times the charm? Maybe it was being updated or offline for some reason? It finally downloaded and installed.

Edited by wgstarks
  • 1 year later...

I watched SpaceInvader One video regarding this Docker container. I added this container and completed all the steps. Everything works fine.

From the log file, I noticed that IP address gets updated. Your IP was updated at Thu May 31 11:25:01 PDT 2018

Is that changing  IP to random address or making sure IP address stays same for mysubdomain.duckdns.org? I am confused regarding what are the use cases for this?

TIA

1 minute ago, stlrox said:

I watched SpaceInvader One video regarding this Docker container. I added this container and completed all the steps. Everything works fine.

From the log file, I noticed that IP address gets updated. Your IP was updated at Thu May 31 11:25:01 PDT 2018

Is that changing  IP to random address or making sure IP address stays same for mysubdomain.duckdns.org? I am confused regarding what are the use cases for this?

TIA

It's updating (checking) your actual numerical IP to be sure that the mysubdomain.duckdns.org domain name points to the correct numerical IP for your network.

Thanks for quick reply. 

I am currently using PIA via binhex-delugeVPN container. When I registered for new sub-domain at duckdns, I noticed it shows my actual IP from ISP.

But when I checked my IP address via online tools then it shows random IP address from PIA via binhex-delugevpn container.

When I did the ping mysubdomain.duckdns.org then it shows my actual IP from ISP.

What is the use of this container under unRAID?  ?

11 hours ago, stlrox said:

What is the use of this container under unRAID?  ?

If you need to connect to any of your services from outside your home, you connect to your duckdns address.  Duckdns makes sure it's always pointing at your home IP address by updating its IP periodically (since your ISP will likely change your IP address every now and then).  You'd need to configure your router/system, but some use cases might be...

• Access your files via FTP
  • Connect to your network over a VPN
  • Host website on your home network and/or
  • Access docker interfaces remotely (eg, Sonarr, Radarr, Deluge, etc.)

This is all about accessing your home from a remote location (whereas when you set up the delugeVPN, that's dealing with traffic leaving your house).  Unless you're lucky enough to have a fixed IP address supplied by your ISP, it will change.  Duckdns tracks it and gives you an address that always points to your home (when the log says it's updating the IP , it's updating the one that Duckdns uses to match the one that you've already got).

• Like 1
17 hours ago, Cessquill said:

You'd need to configure your router/system, but some use cases might be...

• Access your files via FTP
  • Connect to your network over a VPN
  • Host website on your home network and/or
  • Access docker interfaces remotely (eg, Sonarr, Radarr, Deluge, etc.)

Thanks for the detailed reply. I use DuckDns to access Home Assistant from outside. I was just curious to know the use case under unRAID.  So far I didn't use any docker interfaces remotely but I understood the concept.

17 hours ago, stlrox said:

Thanks for the detailed reply. I use DuckDns to access Home Assistant from outside. I was just curious to know the use case under unRAID.  So far I didn't use any docker interfaces remotely but I understood the concept.

I mainly use it to connect via VPN, by which time I've got access to the full system.  However, if I'm not on a machine with VPN, some containers are available so I can still do some things.

• 4 weeks later...

This DuckDNS docker appears to be working.  I learned about it from watching a video by Spaceinvader One on Youtube.  I'm able to ping successfully.  But when setting up another docker, I noticed that under "Docker Allocations" that in place of a port, there are several question marks.  I'm curious why?  Image below:

DuckDNS.jpeg

4 hours ago, DoItMyselfToo said:

This DuckDNS docker appears to be working.  I learned about it from watching a video by Spaceinvader One on Youtube.  I'm able to ping successfully.  But when setting up another docker, I noticed that under "Docker Allocations" that in place of a port, there are several question marks.  I'm curious why?  Image below:

DuckDNS.jpeg

I'm guessing because there are no ports mapped

1 minute ago, aptalca said:

I'm guessing because there are no ports mapped

Are you saying that I, in the container, should map local and host ports.  And then open ports in my router to match the host ports listed in the DuckDNS container?

I ask because the setup that @gridrunner put together on his Youtube channel didn't specify those steps.  DuckDNS seems to be working.  I'm new here.  Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you.

1 hour ago, DoItMyselfToo said:

Are you saying that I, in the container, should map local and host ports.  And then open ports in my router to match the host ports listed in the DuckDNS container?

I ask because the setup that @gridrunner put together on his Youtube channel didn't specify those steps.  DuckDNS seems to be working.  I'm new here.  Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you.

No, the container doesn't need any ports mapped because there are no incoming connections to this container. 

You can just set networking mode to bridge and not map any ports