**VIDEO GUIDE** How to install Lakka for the best retro gaming experience as VM

That sounds amazing, except for retro-gaming I would probably prefer playing it on my TV rather than in my computer room and since I can't directly pass-through GPU (TV is way too far from the server), I don't think this is a viable option for me. I currently use an HTPC running Steam OS to play games on my TV. Can you think of a workaround to use Lakka remotely or do you know something similar I could use on my Steam OS (Debian) ? What I like about Lakka (from what I understand) is that you can simply execute the rom and it will automatically play it. Currently with my setup I have to configure various emulators and manually launch them and start the rom, which is a bit of a pain. Thanks !

From the steam os interface switch to the linux desktop.

Theres a 3rd party repository for SteamOS called SteamOS-Tools which contains RetroArch. You need to pull steam os tools from git hub. And you can install retroarch from there.

https://github.com/ProfessorKaos64/SteamOS-Tools

https://github.com/ProfessorKaos64/SteamOS-Tools/wiki/Retroarch

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the video this looks like a great system.

I have installed it as per the video, upon restart the system gets to the Logo screen and then goes no further. Checking the VM log file I find the following entries:

Domain id=8 is tainted: high-privileges

Domain id=8 is tainted: host-cpu

char device redirected to /dev/pts/0 (label charserial0)

I have tried changing the CPU assignments and also removing all attached devices i.e. keyboards (wired/wireless), Microsoft X-Box wireless receiver etc but I still get the same error except that each time the Domain id changes. 

I have looked around online but I have not found an answer that resolves the issue.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Michael

Thanks for the video this looks like a great system.

I have installed it as per the video, upon restart the system gets to the Logo screen and then goes no further. Checking the VM log file I find the following entries:

Domain id=8 is tainted: high-privileges

Domain id=8 is tainted: host-cpu

char device redirected to /dev/pts/0 (label charserial0)

I have tried changing the CPU assignments and also removing all attached devices i.e. keyboards (wired/wireless), Microsoft X-Box wireless receiver etc but I still get the same error except that each time the Domain id changes. 

I have looked around online but I have not found an answer that resolves the issue.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Michael

Hi Michael,

The VM needs a real physical GPU and cant use VNC after setup.

Which gpu are you passing through to the VM? Some of the newer ones are not yet supported ie gtx 1080. (but they should be supported by Lakka soon)

If your gpu isnt supported you could try the custom libre Elec with emulation station built in as it supports all gpus. (i prefer this now to Lakka for retro gaming as it supports more systems as well)

I have done a guide for it here http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=55404.0

Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply, the VM is using a Sapphire Radeon RX 460 4G NITRO Graphics Card, it's outputting to the GFX correctly but just freezes at the Lakka logo.

I shall try the new system that you have done tonight and see how that goes.

Thanks again for your help with this.

Michael

Yes Micheal, thats  why. Unfortunately the 460 isn't yet supported yet in Lakka. So it will load the flower logo but when it tries to initialise it will fail and freeze. All of Lakka's drivers are opensource drivers. Lakka is using an older Linux kernel which doesn't support these newer cards. The devs say it will be updated sometime soon.

However, the custom Libreelec with emulation station is built from the latest kernel and supports the new cards. Also, the custom LibreElec with emulation station supports a few more systems.

• 6 years later...

Hey pushing this years after last post :)

First - still one of the best Tutorials ever seen when it comes to unraid :) Thanks for that. 

Second - ran into Problems .... 

i installed lakka according to your Walkthrough ... latest version (4.3) on latest unraid release. Install was pretty easy, passing through my gigabyte gtx1050ti not :D tho the gpu works perfectly on another w10pro VM but doesnt when it comes to lakka.

No Lakka Logo, Nothing after booting VM with passed through GPU - only 1 core goes full load ... done. 

Im Sure i did something wrong but wasnt able to find out as the Install was working well ... 

May anybody be able to help on that - if yes, pls let me know what i may have to submit on information.

Thanks 

Markus

• 5 months later...

Pushing this again as I have the same question as Markus.

Markus, did you end up getting this one working?

Basically followed the tutorial, GPU passthrough is up and running and the Lakka VM has started, but nothing opens. I can see the VM in my router settings and can ping it from my PC. Tried different options such as SSH and NoMachine to connect to it with no success. Is there anyone that can help with this? I really hope I just look silly and can connect to the VM extremely easily.

Thanks in advance.

2 hours ago, fartmaster said:

Pushing this again as I have the same question as Markus.

Markus, did you end up getting this one working?

Hi Fartmaster, 

to keep it short and simple .. "NO" i wasnt able to make that VM work - same issue still - tried different GPUs, several installs later still no idea whats goin wrong.
Next Project is to move my unraid setup to a more beastmode Hardware - trying again after the swap has been finished - coming back with new thoughts then. 

Maybe anyone out there got ideas which we both guys arent aware of :D

br 

Markus 

14 hours ago, acidmexx said:

Hi Fartmaster, 

to keep it short and simple .. "NO" i wasnt able to make that VM work - same issue still - tried different GPUs, several installs later still no idea whats goin wrong.
Next Project is to move my unraid setup to a more beastmode Hardware - trying again after the swap has been finished - coming back with new thoughts then. 

Maybe anyone out there got ideas which we both guys arent aware of :D

br 

Markus 

I managed to find a reddit post that links directly to the issue we are having, see below:

https://www.reddit.com/r/unRAID/comments/vihdpw/how_do_i_actually_connect_to_my_virtual_machine/

Basically, GPU passthrough is required, when you select the GPU in the VM options, the display should come through the GPU with a monitor connected. I haven't got it working as of yet, but the reddit post basically shows step by step what you need to do, as well as other options you can try. I don't want to completely steal suggestions but the reddit user "Nososs" had this to say: 

- Passthrough GPU -- Start VM through Unraid GUI -- Connect Monitor Cable to Video Card directly -- There's a lot of guides on how do this, and space invader has one too.

- VNC Remote through the Unraid Gui -- Click on the VM -- Select VNC Remote -- You will get a local Console Desktop

- Remote Desktop -- If it's a Windows Machine -- You can enable Remote Desktop on it, and then from another PC You can RDP through Remote Desktop Connection (Start ---> Run --- MSTSC) -- (You would RDP to the Windows IP not the Unraid GUI IP)

- VNC to Desktop -- If it's a Linux Box then you'll have to find a walkthrough for your appropriate distro and then using a VNC Client from another machine, you can connect directly to the machine that way (You would connect once again to the VM IP not the GUI IP)

- If you don't feel like doing 3 or 4 -- You can install some sort of TeamViewer, Splashtop, Anydesk etc.....

Also I should mention that SpaceInvaderOne actually has tutorials on GPU passthrough as well

Hope this helps, 

FartMaster

Hi,

Problem on this Reddit-Post is actually that Lakka needs to have a physical GPU available - so VNC or other techs wont work after installation and booting into lakka according to Space Invaders great Video. 

Passing through the GPU to other Windows VMs isnt a Problem as 2 VMs in my setup work pretty well with that CPU passed through. 

Seems Lakka is different on that ;)

br

Markus 

Just another thing on that - today i finished my new Setup considering a 1050ti is my passed Through GPU - still no luck.

Installation runs fine - killed the primary Vdisk vom The VM Settings - GPU und Soundcard Passed Through - Black screen.

When im going back to VNC - just for testing purposes the bios prompt says - "no bootable device" ... hm just played around to get 

that vdisk going to run - no luck on that tho the vdisk2 (which i installed lakka on (according to the video) is my bootdevice 

now as i went through the install process showen in the video with lakka 4.3 like 16 times im off ideas on that ... 

GPU swap didnt help out either.

Anyone here ran into the same issues? 

br Markus