Hyper-V and esxi on unRAID? - Questions answered

Muff

Hi,

I'm in planing on building my a new computer and I'm wondering if it's possible to run (nested in nested?) Hyper-V and esxi ontop of a unRAID installation?

I want (if possible) to have a gaming PC (as a vm or not, doesn't matter) and a virtual environment for my lab and testing.

Something like this:

Namnl_s.png

I've googled and search this forum but haven't found a clear answer yet but it seems unachievable and I'll need at least 2 computers for that.

Thank you!

/Muff

Is there any reason why you need to have a VM under hyper-v and esxi that can't be done under unraid?

Yes, for testing different IT data center solutions :)

Are you wanting to do this for IT learning/education or just for the fun of it?

Building a VM for gaming on unRAID is certainly doable.

If you are wanting to learn Esxi and Hyper-V I would suggest installing those on their own physical hosts.

Exactly, I want to set-up an Hyper-V and VMware environment for just that and for now I'm going to test a hybrid data center solution with example Azure.

But if I remember correctly (at least Hyper-V) doesn't support a nested in nested(?) (VM in VM in VM) solution but I wanted to check here first  :)

It seems that I need 3 computers (1 gaming & 2 lab) for what I want.

For this experiment I want to see if I can move VMs between on-prem and the Cloud and if possible between different hypervisor, something like AOS (Nutanixs KVM) can migrate VMs when changing hypervisor in their cluster. Also a hybrid datacenter with Azures with a Hyper-V, a VMware and a Nutanix environment.

This is just to see what I/you can do and can't + I get hands-on experience :)

And if I want to test something else in the future I could easily power-on the needed VMs.

On unRAID I wanted to use the applications service and 2 VMs (1 gaming PC and 1 HTPC).

I thank you a lot for all your help and feedback! :D

It's much appreciated!

Now I just have to think about if I want to build a 2-in-1 PC (2 motherboards, 1 chassi) as my lab PC and/or just 1 PC as I have now... Maybe I can get my boss to get me one :P hehe