[6.2.4] complete machine lockup

Ex0danify

Hello guys,

I recently started to run Unraid as my primary OS on my old QNAP Box. Most of the time it works like charm. Sadly that's MOST of the time. From time to time it happens, that the complete system locks up. This problem has always been there. Running Unraid on my QNAP since version 6.2.2

lockup means:

---------------------

- No Web UI

- No SSH (client says connected but then a SocketTimeOut Exception occours)

- No keyboard/mouse input over the Unraid Server itself (mouse,keyboard,monitor directly connected to it)

- No blinking cursor in the Terminal on the Unraid GUI (connected monitor directly to the box)

Offcourse I want to analyze the problem because it's hell of annoying, but I need the sys logs for that.

Are there any ways I'm currently not aware of to save the syslog before I reboot?

Sometimes the problem happens after 1 day, but it also can run fine for like 3 days (I think that's the longest so far). The only possibility then is to hard reset my box.

Any ideas?

One thing I would suggest is to open up the box, and clean the dust and dirt out.  Be sure to blow out  the fins on the CPU cooler.  (Do this outside or in an area where the wife won't mind all of the dirt that will be coming out!)  Check to see that all of the fans are running.  Heat has been known to cause complete lockups like you are describing...

Probably the best way forward is to install the Fix Common Problems plugin and put it into troubleshooting mode to see if that helps gather useful diagnostics.

Thanks for this Info, didn't know that there was such a thing as a trouble shooting mode!!!

So, my box froze again. The last log was from 09:29Aam. When I woke up at 09:50am my box was frozen. I couldn't find anything realted to errors in the syslog. Maybe one of you guys can check again? Help would be appreciated.

Thanks very very much in advance

qraid-diagnostics-20161127-0929.zip

One thing I would suggest is to open up the box, and clean the dust and dirt out.  Be sure to blow out  the fins on the CPU cooler.  (Do this outside or in an area where the wife won't mind all of the dirt that will be coming out!)  Check to see that all of the fans are running.  Heat has been known to cause complete lockups like you are describing...

I have temperature readings on the Dynamix Web GUI. Temps are reaching from 35°C to 49°C max. So I don't think heat is the problem in this case. Thanks for the suggestion though :)

Archived