VM Video to Miracast Receiver?

dimes007

So I was thinking about the use case where a media player VM without video card passthough (maybe no x16 slots, too inconvenient to run long HDMI cable, etc) could use Miracast or a similar technology to bring VM video to a living room TV.  A Miracast dongle is like $50 and the rest of the requirements are ostensibly just os/driver support.

The 3 ingredients according to my research for Miracast are:

1) An OS that supports it:  Windows 10 VM no problem.

2) A wireless network card that supports it: 

This is the bit that many of us have included in our high end SATA port rich motherboards that we don't leverage.  We, generally, hardwire our servers and either disable in BIOS or ignore on motherboard wifi.

3) A video card/driver that supports it:

So this will be the tough one.  From what I understand miracast uses h.265 encoding on the gpu the encode the graphics output and send over the wireless link to a receiver that decodes and displays.  Ultimately though, with enough CPU horsepower it should still be feasible.

So now its finding a vnc video driver that supports miracast OR a software based driver that's just a dummy header for miracast.

I've looked around and haven't found anything that works for either case. 

Anybody see a way to make this happen??

• 4 years later...