UPS blinking red and green - still functional?

Ulvan

One of my APC Back-UPS ES 700G has its power led blinking red and green. A few months ago it gave a warning that the battery should be changed. But PowerChute program says everything is fine and that it has charge enough to run the box for 10 mins.

My unRAID box is not in any mission critical use, and I use the UPS mainly to protect my computers, by filtering the poor quality electricity at my apartment after too many burned components over the years.

So, should I run to the store to change the battery, or can I get a year or two more from it?

The PowerChute program can only base it's "remaining runtime" off of the last time it did a calibration run. In other words, the last time it switched power to battery intentionally to see how fast the battery drains. My guess is that hasn't been done in a while.

According to the manual: "Power On and Replace Battery LEDs - Flashing (alternating) - Replace Battery - Battery is in need of charging or is at the end of its usual life and must be replaced."

My gut says if your power goes out, that battery isn't going to do squat. So, I would run out and get one.

The blinking indicates your battery is critical -- essentially DEAD.

The UPS already told you this was happening ...

... A few months ago it gave a warning that the battery should be changed.

Note that PowerChute's time-to-run estimate is based on the amount of power your system is drawing vs. what a GOOD battery should be able to provide.    When the UPS warns you about the battery -- REPLACE IT.

So, should I run to the store to change the battery ...

YES -- NOW !!