Dual Headed Gaming System

johnodon

I'm eyeballing this system from a local guy that builds systems and want to know if you guys think it will run 2x WIN10 gaming VMs efficiently (or if it is even capable...I am AMD ignorant):  http://reading.craigslist.org/sys/5788255201.html

FYI...I have a GTX 950 that I will add as a 2nd GPU for one of the VMs.  I'll also add another HD and one will be dedicated to each VM.

First question is whether unRAID still requires its own dedicated GPU?  Will I need to add a low end card for that purpose?

Here are the specs:

BLUE PREDATOR Tower Case, Side View Window, Tool-Less Drive Bay Design, Removable HDD Cages with 4 - 120mm Cooling fans (Supports up to 6 - 120mm fans).

Installed 2 Front 120mm BLUE LED fan, 1 Top 120mm BLUE LED fan and 1 Rear 120mm fan

EVGA 700 Watt 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified ATX12V v2.3/EPS12V v2.91 Active PFC Power Supply

ASUS 970 PRO GAMING/AURA AM3+ AMD 970 + SB 950 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1, Aura RGB LED Lighting, M.2 X4, SupremeFX & SLI/CFX support ATX AMD Motherboard

AMD FX-8350 Vishera 8-Core Black Edition 4.0GHz (4.2GHz Turbo) Processor with AMD Wraith Silent Cooler

EVGA Super Clocked Series 16GB (2x8) 240-Pin SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Fast Timing 9-10-9-28 Desktop Memory

EVGA GeForce GTX 950 2GB SC ADVANCED GAMING Graphics Card, Supports up to 4 Monitor Displays

LITE-ON DVD Burner 24X DVD+R, 24X DVD-R, 48X CD-R, 24X CD-RW, 48XCD-ROM

Seagate 1TB 7200-RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0/Gb's Hard Drive

SupremeFX High Definition Audio CODEC 8 Channels Audio (onboard)

Intel I211 10/100/1000Mbps Ethernet network adapter - onboard

USB 2.0 Ports: 2 Top and 8 Rear

USB 3.0 Ports: 2 Top

USB 3.1: 2 Rear

S/PDIF Out: 1 x Optical

Wireless USB N300 High Gain Wi-Fi Adapter 300Mbps WPS for Easy Connectivity

Windows 10 Professional 64 bit (CD and Genuine OEM License Product Key included)

Looks like that hardware is capable.  That processor supports IOMMU for hardware pass-through, and though I couldn't find a spec that specifically says the mobo supports IOMMU, it's based on the 970 chipset, which supports it, and the cheaper versions of this mobo support it as well, so I'd be surprised if the AURA didn't support IOMMU.

You'd basically be running 2 VMs, each with 8GB RAM (I'd probably add more RAM to the machine at some point), 4 cores, and each having a GTX950.  Since gaming isn't typically CPU-heavy, you'd probably be ok with that setup, if the price was right.  You'll also want to ad one or more SSDs to the build to act as your VM OS drives.

unRAID does not require a dedicated GPU, and can be configured solely from the web UI.

Archived