Test Data Drive replacement

jnheinz

https://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php/Replacing_a_Data_Drive

On Step 3, I recall my only choices were No device or the drive itself.  There was no Unassigned.  Am I selecting No device?  Does it matter that the drive hasn't actually failed?

I have several blank 1TB disks that I could replace an active 1TB disk with.  I will retain the original disk (with its data) until I have confirmed the rebuild is complete.

... There was no Unassigned.  Am I selecting No device?  Does it matter that the drive hasn't actually failed?

It's actually Step 2 -- and yes, you just select No Device.  It's a good idea after doing that to Start the array, so it shows a missing drive -- THEN shut down and physically replace the drive.  [if there's room to have all drives in the system, you don't actually have to remove the drive -- you'll simply assign the "new" drive in its place when you reboot]

Not entirely clear where you are having a problem or what your question is. Step 3 at the link you gave just says "Power down".

And your subject, are you just trying to test data disk rebuilding, or do you have an actual problem?

Have you precleared or otherwise tested the blank disks?

Sorry, I meant Step 2.

I am just testing a rebuild.  I just have gotten slightly burned by a 2TB SAS disk that has half-failed during other maintenance where I had to rebuild parity (going to attempt a ddrescue on a live CD to clone it to another disk.... xfs_repair & mounting it have failed), so I would like to make sure my array is capable of rebuilding a disk in a standard scenario at least.

I will pre-clear the disks in advance.  I will retain the "original/good" data on the 1TB disk being replaced... so even if the "new" drive is bad, I still have the old data.

... There was no Unassigned.  Am I selecting No device?  Does it matter that the drive hasn't actually failed?

It's actually Step 2 -- and yes, you just select No Device.  It's a good idea after doing that to Start the array, so it shows a missing drive -- THEN shut down and physically replace the drive.  [if there's room to have all drives in the system, you don't actually have to remove the drive -- you'll simply assign the "new" drive in its place when you reboot]

Thanks, this makes perfect sense.  I will test it this way when I am to that point.