USB Passthrough with Xbox One Wireless Adapter

kyouten

Hey guys. Figured I'd write this up because I had trouble with this myself. I am on Skylake and have been having issues passing through a USB controller to get my Xbox One controller to work.  Simply put, I added a line to my syslinux.cfg to stub the USB controller, and pass through the controller with the edit VM menu for my Windows 10 VM.

Here's a snippet of that:

label unRAID OS
  menu default
  kernel /bzimage
  append vfio-pci.ids=8086:a12f pcie_acs_override=downstream modprobe.blacklist=i2c_i801,i2c_smbus initrd=/bzroot 

The bolded part being the part that was added to "stub" the USB controller. To get a better understanding of that command, vfio-pci.ids=8086:a12f, lets take a look at the last half of it. 8086:a12f is the ID of the device we want to stub. So here's a look at my IOMMU groups(keep in mind I have ACS enabled, so your results may vary):

IOMMU group 2
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation HD Graphics 530 [8086:1912] (rev 06)
IOMMU group 3
00:14.0 USB controller [0c03]: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-H USB 3.0 xHCI Controller [8086:a12f] (rev 31)

For me, it was simply a matter of taking this ID section, in my case 8086:a12f, and placing it into the syslinux.cfg file and rebooting. I rebooted twice to account for a bug in my version of unRaid, 6.3.0-rc5. This may be fixed by now but its just for precaution.

After this, navigate to the VMs tab in the Web GUI and select your Windows VM, select 'Edit', and make sure under "Other Devices" at the bottom that USB controller is selected. You will know if the USB controller you desire is stubbed correctly, because it should no longer be recognized by unRaid and you should not see it in this Edit section.

Lastly, a resync of the Xbox One Controller and the Xbox One Wireless Adapter was needed. Before this I manually reinstalled the drivers for the Wireless Adapter, but this step may not be necessary.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

Kyouten

• 3 years later...

Hey,

thanks for the info.

I have a different kind of problem. I am able to see the Xbox One Wifi Adapter device in Windows, but unable to sync it with the actual Xbox Controller inside VM Windows. Did you have that kind of an issue? The adapter and controller work fine on any other non VM computer.

So, once you got the Windows to show the actual Wifi adapter, you were able to connect the controller to it without any issues?

Any ideas?

Thanks

• 4 months later...
On 1/21/2021 at 5:02 AM, salaroli said:

Hi!

I'm having the same issue as Maruco

The dongle seems to be working fine (the LED is flashing when you click to sync) but I cannot sync any xbox one controller with it, but It works on non VM machine

Anyone know why this may be happening?

Thanks!

I tested mine out--works fine.  Was able to sync to a wireless controller and play a game.  The adapter is connected the USB adapter on my video card.