Can I still set up a vm with no video device?

xxredxpandaxx

I just upgraded to a xeon cpu and I don't have a pcie extender long enough for my case yet for my graphics card. I was wondering if you can set up a vm without a card or onboard graphics. I can remote desktop into my new hardware without any of this but didn't know if it would work with the vm.

Sure, out of the 4 VM's I have running simultaneously, only 1 has a real video card assigned. The rest are set to VNC.

I just upgraded to a xeon cpu and I don't have a pcie extender long enough for my case yet for my graphics card. I was wondering if you can set up a vm without a card or onboard graphics. I can remote desktop into my new hardware without any of this but didn't know if it would work with the vm.

I have heard of people setting up a computer without onboard graphics by plugging in a graphics card setting up the os then removing it and then RDPing into the server, without a gpu GPU.

How did you setup unRAID without a GPU. Did you have one when it was set up and took it out?

Did you have to adjust the bios to ignore all errors on post first to get it to boot. As most motherboards won't post without some sort of GPU?

I have heard of people setting up a computer without onboard graphics by plugging in a graphics card setting up the os then removing it and then RDPing into the server, without a gpu GPU.

How did you setup unRAID without a GPU. Did you have one when it was set up and took it out?

Did you have to adjust the bios to ignore all errors on post first to get it to boot. As most motherboards won't post without some sort of GPU?

I have a GPU that I used, I just couldn't shut the case with it plugged in. Also I'm just running windows right now on it to convert my videos to HEVC. I will make it my unraid server when I'm done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived