View CPU thead pairs from VM template ...edit... now implemented :)

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

This would be a very useful and nice addition to the user interface!. I would also love to see a check box that switches the CPU allocation method so you simply have all the logical CPU's displayed but none of the thread CPU's displayed. All you would need to do then is click on a single CPU and due to the current mode it would automatically select the corresponding correct matched thread CPU. Would be very nice indeed.

• Upvote 2

A couple of things to take this a step or two further...

• Auto 'tick' the cpu thread pair when you choose CPUs
  • NUMA node management so memory is assigned from the same NUMA node as the selected CPU(s) (Dual CPU system problems!)
  • Building on the second point... a flag if you're passing hardware which isnt on PCIe lanes attached to the CPUs?.. not sure if thats even possible though? 

• Upvote 1

Limetech / JonP: Another Plus one for Spaceinvader's request.   Would seem a pretty simple addition (fine if it's in advanced mode if you have concerns it makes the screen too busy, etc.)

As a Noob, I was previously not aware this hinders performance and is not recommended to assign non-matched threads to isolate the CPU to the VM properly.

Thx

• 3 weeks later...
15 hours ago, 1812 said:

need emulator pin assignment... then it's perfect. :D

I don't know @1812 if assigning emulatorpin from the GUI would be good. Don't you think many users may not know how to correctly use this function so having it in the GUI could be counter productive?

Maybe to be able to have a checkbox in the GUI , which says use emulator pin. Then opens a text box to be able to add the vcpus you want for this function manually. That way anyone who didn't know how to use it wouldn't use it without researching it.

Otherwise, I could imagine people maybe clicking all the vcpus etc.

Edited by gridrunner
7 hours ago, gridrunner said:

I don't know @1812 if assigning emulatorpin from the GUI would be good. Don't you think many users may not know how to correctly use this function so having it in the GUI could be counter productive?

Maybe to be able to have a checkbox in the GUI , which says use emulator pin. Then opens a text box to be able to add the vcpus you want for this function manually. That way anyone who didn't know how to use it wouldn't use it without researching it.

Otherwise, I could imagine people maybe clicking all the vcpus etc.

what you describe would be the same as someone not knowing what they are doing with vcpu assignments and putting their vm on all the cores or including core 0 in their selection. Both are more than basic knowledge of vm creation and occur regularly.

To mitigate someone using all, a simple "you should only need to assign 1-2 cores that are not the same as your vm" would solve the problem, and hiding it under the advanced toggle.

13 hours ago, 1812 said:

what you describe would be the same as someone not knowing what they are doing with vcpu assignments and putting their vm on all the cores or including core 0 in their selection. Both are more than basic knowledge of vm creation and occur regularly.

To mitigate someone using all, a simple "you should only need to assign 1-2 cores that are not the same as your vm" would solve the problem, and hiding it under the advanced toggle.

@1812 @bonienl

I see what you are saying but i think it would be better to type the cores in.
We can see the pairings in the template then just write the numbers separated with a comma in the box.

If nothing is entered the function isnt used. I just think The template would be too busy with another check box to assign too.

We just need the emulator pin really only to just not be removed when editing templates. IMO ;-)

5954f0a5a34a3_cpupairscopy.thumb.png.0375f081a8f36b3c10a464eed2b5064f.png

2 minutes ago, gridrunner said:

We just need custom xml edits to just not be removed when editing templates. IMO ;-)

fixed your statement.

also, I agree on the line vs check box. what you have there looks good and functional.

Edited by 1812
  • Upvote 1