How to manage my Adaptec raid controller from command line?

Hi everyone,

I have an Adaptec 51245 controller for my drives. It works very well, but I have a problem : when I swap a disk, even though it supports hot swapping, I need to reboot in order open up the Adaptec Raid Configuration utility from boot to tag the drive as JBOD so it can be used by unRAID. Do you know if it is possible to install the Adaptec Raid Configuration utility in order to do that from command line without rebooting?

http://storage.microsemi.com/en-us/support/raid/sas_raid/sas-51245/

They list downloads for Redhat, Debian, Ubuntu and others but nothing for Slackware.

Thanks for any help, I don't want to start installing stuff and messing a completely working setup :)

• 2 years later...

I am using the drives as JBOD. You need to tell the controller that the disks are JBOD using the controller's software at boot time, or through arcconf. It works very well still. Currently upsizing a drive as we speak :)

I keep the drives always spinning, less stop and start means less possible failure. The chassis is well cooled so heat is no issue

• 2 years later...