[6.2.4] TV shows being written to cache, user share not configured to use cache

miccos

It's sickbeard not sonar and I have showed screen shots of my settings, they all point to the share.

There is no cache option in sickbeard and yet when I turn 'use cache' ON on the share and run the mover it moves the files to where they should be. The files even though on the cache are counted towards the share and show a file on the share as well. There is no settings in sickbeard to 'use cache' all this functionality is coming from unraid.

I do appreciate everyone's help

thanks

You have previously mentioned that you use SAB and Sickbeard .... So where is SAB configured to download to?

I am wondering if it is SAB that is configured to download to the cache drive, and Sickbeard is just performing a move operation from where ever SAB has downloaded the file which leaves the file on the cache disk.

[Note I don't use, and never have used, either SAB or Sickbeard so I could be completely misunderstanding how they are configured.]

SAB goes to a folder on the cache under its own folder structure, ...\Completed

Sickbeard monitors this folder and is supposed to move the show from  ...\Completed to \mnt\user\TV series.

It has been the same setup for 3-4 years, all this has only started happening within the last month or so.

i suspect that this change in behaviour started to happen when support for linking files was added to user shares .... This means that the move operation is now done by linking the file to the new names and then the link to the old name is removed;  the by product is that the file remains on the same disk .... In your case the cache drive ... And is a very efficient operation as it just involves updating a few directory entries and the file contents are never actually moved.

Previously the link operation would have failed and the move would have instead been done by physically copying the file which would have resulted in your old behaviour of the file moving from the cache drive onto the data disk.

How do I check if this is the case??

support for linking files was added to user shares

When I run the mover it deletes the files from the cache.

This means that the move operation is now done by linking the file to the new names and then the link to the old name is removed;  the by product is that the file remains on the same disk .... In your case the cache drive .

i suspect that this change in behaviour started to happen when support for linking files was added to user shares .... This means that the move operation is now done by linking the file to the new names and then the link to the old name is removed;  the by product is that the file remains on the same disk .... In your case the cache drive ... And is a very efficient operation as it just involves updating a few directory entries and the file contents are never actually moved.

Mover doesn't work like that.  (And if it did, it would be rather pointless) It physically moves the file.  If anything its actually far more inefficient since hardlink support came into effect with 6.2

The responses here are centered around "OP has something misconfigured", but I am hitting this too.  I just noticed a similar problem this morning with my Crashplan share -- It appears there was a bug introduced somewhere here.  The common modality is docker, but that doesn't necessarily mean that's the source.

I use the Crashplan docker, and my Crashplan share is not, and has not recently been, configured to write to the cache drive.  In the unraid server UI, I have "included disks=disk4" and "use cache = no" for my Crashplan share to keep all of my backups contained on one disk, and that's it.

The docker is passed a mountpoint of /mnt/user/ -- nowhere do I give it any method where the docker or the app would even be capable of writing to the cache drive, and yet I have ~250GB of recently-written files in /mnt/cache/Crashplan.  It's got to be from the underlying unraid mechanism that determines where to write files.

root@nickserver:/mnt/user# du -hs /mnt/cache/Crashplan/
278G    /mnt/cache/Crashplan/
root@nickserver:/mnt/user# du -hs /mnt/disk4/Crashplan/
713G    /mnt/disk4/Crashplan/
root@nickserver:/mnt/user# du -hs /mnt/user/Crashplan/
1.4T    /mnt/user/Crashplan/
root@nickserver:/mnt/user# du -hs /mnt/user0/Crashplan/
1.2T    /mnt/user0/Crashplan/

# ls -lh /mnt/cache/Crashplan/503826726370413061/cpbf0000000000013241371
total 2.4G
-rw-rw-rw- 1 nobody users   23 Oct 13 20:44 503826726370413061
-rw-rw-rw- 1 nobody users 2.4G Dec 11 15:37 cpbdf
-rw-rw-rw- 1 nobody users 1.8M Dec 12 11:51 cpbmf

There are still files being correctly written to /mnt/disk4/Crashplan though, so the failure is apparently intermittent.  Unraid should not be writing files to /mnt/cache/Crashplan, ever, and the docker/app/me aren't doing it manually.

Attached screenshots show docker and share configuration

Screenshot_2016-12-16_08_53_20.png.b95a02369e2144eedbaa762de9c3c88b.png

Screenshot_2016-12-16_08_51_01.png.7138d47a6de993a46f263cf8d1abbb68.png

Investigating further, I see the same issue on a share (/mnt/user/Nick) which is only ever accessed over SMB or commandline, which I definitely would not have manually specified /mnt/cache/Nick.  Share "Nick" is set "cache=no, excluded disks=disk1".

Plenty of space on the array and on the individual relevant array drives for both these shares

root@nickserver:/mnt/user# df -h /mnt/user
Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
shfs             23T   19T  4.3T  82% /mnt/user
root@nickserver:/mnt/user# df -h /mnt/disk*
/dev/md1        1.4T   22G  1.4T   2% /mnt/disk1
/dev/md10       2.8T  2.6T  175G  94% /mnt/disk10
/dev/md11       1.9T  1.5T  337G  82% /mnt/disk11
/dev/md12       1.9T  1.5T  338G  82% /mnt/disk12
/dev/md4        1.9T  1.5T  403G  79% /mnt/disk4
/dev/md5        1.9T  1.7T  174G  91% /mnt/disk5
/dev/md6        1.9T  1.7T  175G  91% /mnt/disk6
/dev/md7        2.8T  2.6T  161G  95% /mnt/disk7
/dev/md8        2.8T  2.6T  171G  94% /mnt/disk8
/dev/md9        2.8T  2.6T  175G  94% /mnt/disk9
root@nickserver:/mnt/user# df -h /mnt/user0
shfs             22T   18T  3.4T  85% /mnt/user0

Mover doesn't work like that.  (And if it did, it would be rather pointless) It physically moves the file.  If anything its actually far more inefficient since hardlink support came into effect with 6.2

I wasn't clear enough ... my statement was about how the file is moved/renamed between SAB and Sickbeard, not how mover copies the file from the cache disk to the data disk.

I wasn't clear enough ... my statement was about how the file is moved/renamed between SAB and Sickbeard, not how mover copies the file from the cache disk to the data disk.

Actually doesn't even matter there either.  Because /mnt/user/TV Shows and /mnt/user/Downloads are different mount points, the system will always do a copy / delete.  No linking involved.

But, that might be the key here.  Vast majority of users add multiple paths to a docker app instead of just passing in /mnt/user

So now you've got a single mount point passed through to a docker app that ultimately contains multiple mount points.  I would surmise that the docker system is puking at that and just doing the rename instead of actually following the rules for following mounts.

Solution is to pass separate mounts to all the docker apps involved of /downloads and /tv and make all the internal references point to them and ditch the mapping of /mnt or /mnt/user

If this works, then its probably also @Nick5429's issue as he also is apparently passing through /mnt/user and then its an actual issue with docker, not unRaid per se.

then its an actual issue with docker, not unRaid per se.

Perhaps my posts should be split off to a new post/defect report (mods??) with a reference from this thread as additional data point -- but there's no way my report (or this, presuming the same problem) is a "docker issue". Docker hadn't been given any reference to the cache drive. 

Unraid is the only thing that could have made the decision to write to /mnt/cache/<SHARE>

Also, I noted the same problem on a share that docker has never touched

Pretty sure last time this was discussed it was considered "by design" and not a defect, although I must admit that my memory is far from perfect. ^^

If a file on a user share is moved locally it will not be moved to another disk, only moved within the same disk. With operations conducted directly on the server this covers all of /mnt/user, as opposed to over the network where it only applies to moves within the same share. This is why the cache location from one share locally can "leak" to another.

Copy and delete the files rather than move them.

Actually doesn't even matter there either.  Because /mnt/user/TV Shows and /mnt/user/Downloads are different mount points, the system will always do a copy / delete.  No linking involved.

But, that might be the key here.  Vast majority of users add multiple paths to a docker app instead of just passing in /mnt/user

So now you've got a single mount point passed through to a docker app that ultimately contains multiple mount points.  I would surmise that the docker system is puking at that and just doing the rename instead of actually following the rules for following mounts.

Solution is to pass separate mounts to all the docker apps involved of /downloads and /tv and make all the internal references point to them and ditch the mapping of /mnt or /mnt/user

If this works, then its probably also @Nick5429's issue as he also is apparently passing through /mnt/user and then its an actual issue with docker, not unRaid per se.

I have tried it with my TV_Shows share set to use cache and not use it and it works correctly both ways for me.

I only pass through the lower level directory to my dockers. No /mnt or /mnt/user gets passed through. For example Sickbeard uses,

/downloads -> /mnt/cache/appdata/Downloads/

/tv -> /mnt/user/TV_Shows/

/config -> /mnt/cache/appdata/Sickbeard/

then its an actual issue with docker, not unRaid per se.

Perhaps my posts should be split off to a new post/defect report (mods??) with a reference from this thread as additional data point -- but there's no way my report (or this, presuming the same problem) is a "docker issue". Docker hadn't been given any reference to the cache drive. 

Unraid is the only thing that could have made the decision to write to /mnt/cache/<SHARE>

Also, I noted the same problem on a share that docker has never touched

Toggle some setting on the share settings.  Have seen off and on with unRaid upgrades where for some reason it messes up reading the settings even though it displays it correctly.
  • 2 weeks later...