Media streaming hardware/software discussion

dtbingle

Like a lot of people on here (just an assumption...), I have a plex media server running on my unRAID machine.  Works great.  On the frontend, I have a Pi 3 running a RasPlex build.  As far as the PMS on unRAID and RasPlex on the Pi, everything works very well for the most part.  Links up easily to my Harmony remote, plays all of my tv shows/movies without hiccups, and only consumes about 4 watts while powered up.

More time with this setup revealed quite a few limitations in Plex, mainly the small number of "unsupported channels".  What if I want to run Fox Sports Go, Pandora, Spotify, Amazon music, Youtube, Netflix, etc.  Some channels are available, but others aren't.  This leads to Kodi.  Kodi allows for much more customization and plugin support, however still requires app 'ports' and 3rd party development work to keep these plugins functional over time.

Usually I like to go the route of customization and building DIY rigs, but lately have been asking this question - is there any reason why you wouldn't just buy an "out-of-the-box" device with either Android TV OS (NVIDIA Shield) or iOS (AppleTV)?  Running either of these OS', gives you access to major app stores.  This means that any popular app is likely to already have been officially developed and released by the owning company.  Take Netflix or Pandora or Amazon Music for example.  When an update is released, it always has the potential to mess things up and require additional 3rd-party development or a port rework to keep it functioning in Kodi.  Why not just go to the app/play store and download the Plex/Kodi app in addition to your other apps.  That way you have easy access to stream your local media via Plex or Kodi and also have access to everything else released in the app store with full update support.  Before the time where every app imaginable was available, I understood the power of taking a service and unofficially turning it into a Kodi plugin, but now it seems like that gap is closing.

Thoughts?

That's been my strategy for a while, typically using Roku boxes.  I think it's worth investing in a high quality home server for local media.  Plex is nice in that it will use server resources to help accommodate whatever player you settle on.  But media players?  They're disposable.  Whenever the one you have doesn't get the channel you want, or play the latest and greatest format - it's time to eBay it and get another one  :P.

That's been my strategy for a while, typically using Roku boxes.  I think it's worth investing in a high quality home server for local media.  Plex is nice in that it will use server resources to help accommodate whatever player you settle on.  But media players?  They're disposable.  Whenever the one you have doesn't get the channel you want, or play the latest and greatest format - it's time to eBay it and get another one  :P.

This is basically my strategy. PMS for my media, Rokus for each TV to play plex and other channels. I also have an HTPC on each TV just because, but Roku simplifies things for my other users. It is all tied together with Logitech Harmony Hubs for remote control.

While the Plex app works fine on just about everything, OpenPHT has spoiled me.  That being said, you will be in the same boat as far as being limited to 'channels' if you install OPHT embedded.  However, if you install the OPHT client on a linux distribution or Windows (ugh), it opens up a LOT more possibilities.

John