Power On Hours

Msan

A couple of days ago I added 2 Toshiba DT01ACA300 (3TB) Drives.

I ran 2 full cycles of preclear and they both passed just fine.

After the 2 cycles the Power On Hours where around 43 hours which seems correct.

A few days later I check again and the power on hours are around 2000 now???

I haven't done a cold reboot yet, but has anyone come across this before?

I've never seen that => S.M.A.R.T.  data is generally very reliable; and you certainly can't gain over 1900 hours in just a few days !!

Hopefully it's just a display glitch ... and the actual data is fine as reported by the drives.  I'd do a shutdown (not just a reboot); and then restart the system and see if the data looks more in line with what it should be [i.e. a few hundred hours by this point].

I've never seen that => S.M.A.R.T.  data is generally very reliable; and you certainly can't gain over 1900 hours in just a few days !!

Hopefully it's just a display glitch ... and the actual data is fine as reported by the drives.  I do a shutdown (not just a reboot); and then restart the system and see if the data looks more in line with what it should be [i.e. a few hundred hours by this point].

I will try that.. I'm just running another preclear on bot the drives right now..

I think I'd be a little concerned.  I have seen several cases of SMART corruption, can't remember any ongoing corruption associated with them, but seems worrying to me.  Because it's a report returned by the drive, I personally don't think it's a display problem, but possibly something more serious.  Seems to me it's either a bug in the SMART handling part of the firmware, which may or may not cause any further issues, or it's bad RAM on the drive, and that's troubling, could cause data corruption.  Do you mind showing us the before and after SMART reports?  I'd like to look for other changes, perhaps less obvious, and see if that offers any more clues.

I think I'd be a little concerned.

This, exactly. SMART is the only quantitative way we have of judging drive health long term in the array, so if you can't trust SMART, you are gambling with the data on your other drives if this drive decides to fail without warning.

It really sucks to think you have a good recovery going, only to get blindsided by another drive failing that gave no indication it was having issues. Either get to the point that you totally trust what this drive is telling you, or replace it with one you can trust.

Certainly agree that if it's not just a display glitch it's something to be concerned about.  Just not clear that this isn't either a display glitch, or possibly user error -- possibly clicking on the wrong drive for SMART info and not noticing that.

Msan => any chance you might have done that ??    Also, you said you had "added" the drives ... which I assumed meant you had added them to your array;  but your last post indicated you're pre-clearing them again.  Did you add them, and then remove them -- or did you just mean you had physically added them to your system, but not yet added them to the array?

Certainly agree that if it's not just a display glitch it's something to be concerned about.  Just not clear that this isn't either a display glitch, or possibly user error -- possibly clicking on the wrong drive for SMART info and not noticing that.

Msan => any chance you might have done that ??    Also, you said you had "added" the drives ... which I assumed meant you had added them to your array;  but your last post indicated you're pre-clearing them again.  Did you add them, and then remove them -- or did you just mean you had physically added them to your system, but not yet added them to the array?

I bought the 2 drives new, ran 2 preclear cycles and then added them to the array.

Noticed the SMART strangeness and decided to take them out of the array and run another preclear on them.

Once that is done and they pass, I will shutdown the server and then see if the SMART data goes back to normal..

Any chance you just clicked on the wrong drive for the SMART data and the one you looked at had the higher power-on hours count?

In any event, I'd note the hours today, and check again in a week or so to be sure all is well.

I guess it could be possible, I wouldn't rule it out.. PICNIC - Problem in Chair, Not in Computer.. LOL

But I'll still keep an eye on it..