Persistent RAM Disk (Still Dangerous)

Ph9214

This guide http://www.observium.org/docs/persistent_ramdisk/ (which I will make a modified version of soon) can be used (without some parts) to make a persistent ram disk

[glow=red,2,300]***MAKE SURE YOU PUT THE BACKUP ON ONE OF YOUR ARRAY DRIVES !!!NOT!!! ANYWHERE ELSE WHICH INCLUDES THE VAR FOLDER MENTIONED IN THE TUTORIAL***[/glow]

I do NOT know if the mounting/creation config file will persist over reboots but the backup folder will stay if you put it on the array

Not sure if I get your meaning, but the /var folder is not on the boot USB, it is in RAM. The only folder on the boot USB is /boot. The disks and user shares are in /mnt. All other OS folders are in RAM. When you boot up, the OS folders are unpacked fresh from bzroot,bzimage into RAM. So, if you write to one of those OS folders, such as /var, then you are writing into a RAM disk of sorts.

Just curious what the use case is for this.  With the speeds of modern SSDs, and the typical uses of UnRAID, I don't see any advantage to even bothering with a RAM Disk vs. a high-speed cache drive.  Also, your first post says "This guide" => but there's no link to anything -- where is the actual guide?

sorry about that, I meant to say, don't put ANY files on a tempfs that is not backed up frequently (like every minute), I have experienced the horror of my batch file (in the home directory) disappearing after a reboot!

I have a Command Line plugin that backs up /root on system shutdown then restores it on startup. It's useful for bash history, ssh authorized keys, mc and htop settings and any scripts you have there. It also includes shellinabox, which is a web based terminal. And an awesome ascii lime and system info when you log in.

Just curious what the use case is for this.  With the speeds of modern SSDs, and the typical uses of UnRAID, I don't see any advantage to even bothering with a RAM Disk vs. a high-speed cache drive.  Also, your first post says "This guide" => but there's no link to anything -- where is the actual guide?

oops forgot the link :P and you are right, but just in case you had insane amounts of ram this could be useful, I thought it would also be intresting

sorry about that, I meant to say, don't put ANY files on a tempfs that is not backed up frequently (like every minute), I have experienced the horror of my batch file (in the home directory) disappearing after a reboot!

I have a Command Line plugin that backs up /root on system shutdown then restores it on startup. It's useful for bash history, ssh authorized keys, mc and htop settings and any scripts you have there. It also includes shellinabox, which is a web based terminal. And an awesome ascii lime and system info when you log in.

what is it?

what is it?

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=42683.msg406446.msg#406446

what is it?

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=42683.msg406446.msg#406446

thx I'll try that when I get home :)

oops forgot the link :P and you are right, but just in case you had insane amounts of ram this could be useful, I thought it would also be intresting

So did you forget it again  :)

I assume you meant to include it with this comment, but there's still no link  8) 8)

I assume you meant to include it with this comment, but there's still no link  8) 8)

You just missed it Gary, it's a RAM link, it's not persistent....  ;D

sorry I just updated the original post and didn't think about putting it in the reply :P

You just missed it Gary, it's a RAM link, it's not persistent....  ;D

;D ;D ;D