Linux/unRAID CPU Stress Test?

kizer

I'm looking at dropping in a new CPU/RAM into my machine soon. Is there or does anybody know of a CPU stress test we can run in unRAID to see the changes of our hardware?

I know about CPU Benchmarks and the figurative numbers, but wanted to see how things ran real world from our console.

Sure one could install HandBrake or something of the sort and see how long something takes to encode and record the results, but wandered if there is something that is easily installed, configured and ran.

• Like 1

The Linux version of Prime95 is a good idea.  Not sure a VM running a stress test would really do what you want, as most hypervisors won't actually let a VM use 100% of a CPU, even if you assign all of the cores.  Haven't tried this in UnRAID, but have done it in Hyper-V, VMWare, etc. and even if the VM is "pegged" on the CPU usage, my "real" machine doesn't come close to 100% -- so it's not a real test of the CPU.

... I'm also not a "Linux guy", so I'm not sure how you would install the Linux version of Prime95 in UnRAID.  You could, of course, just boot your system to a LiveCD version of Linux and run Prime95 from that => do it with the old CPU and then again with the new CPU to get the results.

On the other hand, what's wrong with simply comparing the PassMark ratings of your old and new CPU ??  These aren't just "... figurative numbers ..." ==> they are based on real-world tests of the CPU performance.    I suspect they show exactly what you'd see if you compared, for example, the Prime95 results.

... I'm also not a "Linux guy", so I'm not sure how you would install the Linux version of Prime95 in UnRAID.  You could, of course, just boot your system to a LiveCD version of Linux and run Prime95 from that => do it with the old CPU and then again with the new CPU to get the results.

On the other hand, what's wrong with simply comparing the PassMark ratings of your old and new CPU ??  These aren't just "... figurative numbers ..." ==> they are based on real-world tests of the CPU performance.    I suspect they show exactly what you'd see if you compared, for example, the Prime95 results.

Nothing to install.

Extract mprime from http://www.mersenne.org/ftp_root/gimps/p95v2810.linux64.tar.gz and save it on the flash drive

then

cd /boot
mprime 

and answer the questions and then watch your cpu utilization and temperatures climb on unRaid's dashboard.  Text files are created at the end indicating the results

• Like 2

Nothing to install.

Extract mprime from http://www.mersenne.org/ftp_root/gimps/p95v2810.linux64.tar.gz and save it on the flash drive

then

cd /boot
mprime 

and answer the questions and then watch your cpu utilization and temperatures climb on unRaid's dashboard.  Text files are created at the end indicating the results

Thanks for the tutorial => Now I've got to go stress test my servers  :) :)

Nothing to install.

then

cd /boot
mprime 

Thanks for the tutorial => Now I've got to go stress test my servers  :) :)

There's also a reward if you find a mersenne prime containing 100,000+ digits ($50K)

Sorry not exactly what I meant. I just meant testing my system the way it current sits in my current configuration.

Test my machine as it sits

Test my machine with more RAM

Test my machine with its new Processor

Just want to beat it up some and watch some real world results as they happen. ;)

Hmmmm, I see CPU load on my DashBoard, but no Temp. Lol

Figured it out.

Installed Nerd Pack

Installed Perl

Dynamix System Temp

How accurate is it? Not Sure, but It's providing a number now at 39.5C while testing my little Sempron 140. After the test I'll check the Proc Temp again and see if it drops and by how much.

I have an Athlon x4 630 I want to drop into this soon and I wanted to get some base temp's before/after I install the processor and see what kind of speeds in processing things I might possibly get.

I did the Torture Test before so I could get a temp on Beating up my CPU (Sempron 140) for a bit. I'd Guess I ran it for 30+Minutes. Then following that I simply ran the BenchMark Mode Times are at the Bottom. My CPU temp according to Dynamix was 39.5 AVG during Torture Mode and 5Minutes later back down to 32C when it wasn't doing much of anything.

This is the results it gives you when you select BenchMark.

[Wed Dec 14 14:50:02 2016]
Self-test 640K passed!
Self-test 8K passed!
[Wed Dec 14 14:58:12 2016]
Self-test 720K passed!
Self-test 12K passed!
[Wed Dec 14 15:04:54 2016]
Self-test 800K passed!
Self-test 20K passed!
[Wed Dec 14 15:11:47 2016]
Self-test 896K passed!
Self-test 28K passed!
[Wed Dec 14 15:18:35 2016]
Self-test 1024K passed!
Self-test 40K passed!
[Wed Dec 14 15:25:06 2016]
Self-test 1152K passed!
Self-test 56K passed!
[Wed Dec 14 15:32:12 2016]
Self-test 1280K passed!
Self-test 72K passed!
[Wed Dec 14 15:40:10 2016]
Self-test 1440K passed!
Self-test 84K passed!
[Wed Dec 14 15:47:11 2016]
Self-test 1600K passed!
Self-test 112K passed!
[Wed Dec 14 15:54:22 2016]
Compare your results to other computers at http://www.mersenne.org/report_benchmarks
AMD Sempron(tm) 140 Processor
CPU speed: 2700.21 MHz
CPU features: 3DNow!, SSE, SSE2
L1 cache size: 64 KB
L2 cache size: 1 MB
L1 cache line size: 64 bytes
L2 cache line size: 64 bytes
L1 TLBS: 48
L2 TLBS: 512
Prime95 64-bit version 28.10, RdtscTiming=1
Best time for 1024K FFT length: 18.186 ms., avg: 19.618 ms.
Best time for 1280K FFT length: 23.384 ms., avg: 26.839 ms.
Best time for 1536K FFT length: 28.782 ms., avg: 81.443 ms.
Best time for 1792K FFT length: 34.947 ms., avg: 37.408 ms.
Best time for 2048K FFT length: 38.210 ms., avg: 38.742 ms.
Best time for 2560K FFT length: 48.750 ms., avg: 48.882 ms.
Best time for 3072K FFT length: 59.859 ms., avg: 81.591 ms.
Best time for 3584K FFT length: 72.605 ms., avg: 88.856 ms.
Best time for 4096K FFT length: 79.375 ms., avg: 124.750 ms.
Best time for 5120K FFT length: 101.761 ms., avg: 110.487 ms.
Best time for 6144K FFT length: 127.423 ms., avg: 148.645 ms.
Best time for 7168K FFT length: 155.643 ms., avg: 268.390 ms.
Best time for 8192K FFT length: 172.966 ms., avg: 194.296 ms.
Quitting GIMPS.

sempron140-4-GB.txt

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...