Question regarding unraid and external GPU support

dieselpwr3d

I'm looking at getting a hold of a server soon, and am extremely interested in moving everything to one system with VMs for Windows (among others).  My main thing is this, it is hard to get a server that has the space and ability to put a regular graphics card in it without some sort of modification or spending more than I can.  I wanted to know what the chances, or if anyone has already done this, of using something like the Razer Core to power the external GPU and pass it in to the server for use with a VM.

My gut tells me this is possible, but I don't want to spend money on a maybe.  Ultimately, I could build myself a server that would do everything I need it to from scratch, but was wondering about this possibility as well.

Any thing that you guys can share as far as insight goes would be appreciated.

Thanks!

I've been looking around at various different servers on ebay.  I've found several that I'd like to get, but they seem to typically be in 2u cases.  Because of this, space is at a premium inside the case, and am unsure about fitting my 970 in the 2u chassis I have found .  I might have to abandon this route and build my own from various parts, but I was curious if anyone had attempted this before or knew if it was even possible.

Do you already have a rack setup?  If not, why not just build your server in a tower case?  If you're using a larger server mobo, there are plenty of options for that too, without having to go with a server case.  Then you'd have more than enough room for your card.  I have a 2-fan 1070 in my Define R4 without any issues (see pics below).  My case wouldn't fit a 3-fan card without removing the hard drive chassis (obviously not an option for me), but there are plenty of tower cases out there that can fit a 3-fan card with ample space, and still plenty of room for a server mobo, drives, etc.

Just a thought.  Happy building!

9V_HffrVBvwE_FFKAGeG9DXjA8TkAK8jpq-yfCX803h4vAufYsI4WbNSBLX14nWk8XHaNgoaa57GhCQ8l_4lk9VWu3IxseZS3Lk9nsAEsJfb4Q9JPhPlrNeXRrp_S9kh9U_6obycM_ojWZYlqJLuwooPqASNsXStv2ASdIHo9LNrMeJD4JWSWRxm1bXKOhQ0yr0oNVKxteVjIWrdWdaV-_wY1T7V0GLyH0QohO4oPsdP4kcNmrKCrOZRGQSoqIxYxhYYcOMGjWUpJzC_3EhQNpLqu6U7Tf1bvIqesoEkwQgKYYdNApAigIRI84GI0CWvo051iGIZAqaZWFA1oQNSW22tpEP-pmmto8zAn2jp1n4Xyyrc50l4EwfY3heb2GBvqGqRh11XD-ycxSDaQ_9XnHQD6IksRwF97tdTLGjNIiHJ3Xk_nytsMwL09Hnqtsr_ddrJiQgPt-ChQ65AOWmNKzigaM_843ghwbXOfqSmkxJIuVBJ74OvIxlptN1kLvO17r1Z_FZ7ZNRi8Uq6jBfKvdzbVpj0MtNbc_oYAMWD7VrE5nJAl1OIuA2BZKqXMn7BQBJ9iUWgUDe6AkUm1C5OMBCbkgfzssq2X1N0jHCziqOPLu7EUcc1toK-vLsnLHoaP2Uwvlzm7dA28cX5cHR5YIgf0IGVSG4wk08EgBIM8Ko=w779-h438-no

9d_qAvEe-x3Q1UxkhCJ0l8AjeblMQ8UNC3MYTUfWz27OvqEjv3RXaYoqiJps86hSNleX-kFyC5hC4bc-X31pi9HaEnoGJF7aV2aduVZ8a8d-8emBjA7MNjPbQXkzZ99tZwE0J_bItBp7StLE83dJheeKtIcq2ESjU-Ar4N6LwMo7WryAZp8a3v9c_-LHTIeMKYLvJdDdFqIsOS4RdBZa2XeyEFzcIUJvbN4-oODx7MXEc0fVLRj_XFTuFIo8kuPifNUfOz7rkRRrHlUcHw07BnKn1FlcquSe5e2U7Ae78dOqL-29RfYRI2wqzvYvMtqTIT_qWBCZULeN90f3gcqooBPLGN7QYM0ma8srhZnaMB8ZeheDEDx1BeDrQ6eO3otb-0zN0W2iue5arggatRb91V6C52kpvV7jJaRMX5FT4zDvvsaZA_wXAi-O8sV0Pye26XoO8blejUK8hS0v9LPwQNl8xBYVcfra2MpdyX5D_FsvmWRqjeR67dVn8pFSB_gs_LDwOA5_1QeCqfKeGmXOB6bvMnjaFY79_Xe29xkhxUa3x6HoGYY8tBylRx7pdUrUrzyFd2LzzoCzKQeKVPZAtnstRi4Cz0CkJTA_ah-P0dktY3mt1yGb0Z2NVx2mWLdK3lkKe3Nkl9smbCM6ViXIgcS-94kYnu5RfP-uFnlEpmM=w779-h438-no

Your pictures came up with errors for me.  I am definitely considering building my own, but was curious if it was even feasible to do what I was envisioning.  I had found some great deals on ebay for several dual 10 core systems with lots of ram that would have been perfect if not in a 2u case that would have prevented me from putting in my graphics cards.

While I do not have a rack yet, it is in the plans - as I have a rack mount switch and router, one rack mount server as of now and would like to mount everything away nice and neat. Back to the drawing board.

Your pictures came up with errors for me.  I am definitely considering building my own, but was curious if it was even feasible to do what I was envisioning.  I had found some great deals on ebay for several dual 10 core systems with lots of ram that would have been perfect if not in a 2u case that would have prevented me from putting in my graphics cards.

While I do not have a rack yet, it is in the plans - as I have a rack mount switch and router, one rack mount server as of now and would like to mount everything away nice and neat. Back to the drawing board.

Ugh, stupid Google Photos.  I always forget to make the pics public before posting them.  They should be fixed now.

If you're already all set up for a rack-based system, then I see your want for a server case.  I'd probably want the same thing.  If you're finding a fantastic deal on equipment on eBay, then you might have to buy a server case separately, and move the hardware to it.  That option would still be a heck of a lot cheaper than that external Razer core enclosure.  Isn't that thing over $200 just for the enclosure?  Not to mention it could be a bottleneck in a couple years when you need to upgrade to whatever the new standard is, like if they mess with the pci-e spec again or something like that.

The only problem with systems that are manufactured is that they usually use proprietary board configs that don't translate well in to an off brand case.  Going to have to do some more searching it seems, so I can mount the graphics card properly.

Yeah, very true.  That's the benefit and drawback of buying server rack equipment on ebay I guess.  I know I was tempted for a while, but ended up building my own, for these primary reasons:

1. Easier to customize/modify/upgrade

2. Can build with the most up-to-date CPU/RAM technologies/sockets, better for futureproofing

3. Cooler and quieter (if built correctly)

4. Much more power efficient.  Older server equipment are usually total power hogs.

With the $200 savings from not buying that Razer Core, I'm sure you could build a system at a similar price, compared to buying a used rig on Ebay, and it would almost certainly be cooler, quieter, and more efficient.  Possibly faster as well.