Increase the speed that SABnzbd unpacks download with cache disk?

cbtiger

Is there any way to increase the speed at which SABnzbd unpacks completed downloads? Right now SABnzbd downloads everything directly to my array (I don't have a cache disk yet) and I'm just impatient and want everything to go faster  ;D.

I have a 256GB SSD coming in the mail to add as a cache disk. If I have SABnzbd download the files to that and then transfer them to the array, will that increase the speed?

Once you have installed the SSD as a cache drive and set your sabnzb docker on the cahe drive and set then set your array share (final destination for the nzb results) to "use cache", it will unpack on the SSD and be immediately available as if it was already on the array. The file(s) actually get moved to the array based on the Mover schedule.

• 2 years later...

Follow up question to this. I know the file would download to cache, then unpack to cache, so does that mean that if you had data moved to array daily, that you would need close to twice the download size of cache space for a particular download? As in even though the downloaded file gets deleted after it is unpacked, that space was used on cache, as well as unpacked file.. ?

4 hours ago, Iceman24 said:

Follow up question to this. I know the file would download to cache, then unpack to cache, so does that mean that if you had data moved to array daily, that you would need close to twice the download size of cache space for a particular download? As in even though the downloaded file gets deleted after it is unpacked, that space was used on cache, as well as unpacked file.. ?

Yes.  While an unpack is in progress you will need space for both the packed and unpacked versions of the download.  Once the unpack completes then presumably the app doing this will delete the packed version to free up the space it was occupying.

• Upvote 1