OK, this looks bad. What do I do next?

Karyudo

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to be clear, it's OK to copy from the 'disk5' share created under UD to a user share, correct?

Next annoying problem: How do I get past the "Network Credentials" login page that pops up in Windows 10 when I click on the disk5 share? My usual username and password doesn't work; neither does root/<none>. Or any number of other combinations. What's this damn thing looking for??

You can always copy from a UD share to an array disk or user share, problem is between disk and user shares inside the array.

As for the credentials, go to settings -> unassigned device settings and check "smb security", if enable disable it and click apply, if disable enable, apply, disable, apply, it should work after that.

Between my last post and yours, I restarted my Windows machine. Navigated to a share, entered *the exact same* credentials one more time, et voila: success. Makes no sense to me, but whatever.

I just tried copying something from disk5 to the array's Videos share, and it already exists. I tried playing the file from the array, and it works. Why is that the case? Why aren't the files on disk5 unique? I thought all files on disk5 would be missing completely from the array. Can you explain what's on disk5 vs. what's on the array, and how best to make sure I keep the working copy of each file (without having to manually sift through 2TB of duplicates)?

Copying completed: just one problem file out of 2TB. Not sure which file; don't care that much, since it turns out they were all recently downloaded.

Looking at the Main tab, though, it sure looks as though everything I've just copied has turned up on the old Disk 5! HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE?!

I guess that has to be fixed first. But then what's next? Move to XFS, then redo parity? Or redo parity and then move to XFS?

This doesn't make any sense at all to me. I didn't do anything dumb when copying—I followed your instructions exactly. The 'restored' directory we created was created without any Disk 5 in place! And I mounted the old Disk 5 in Unassigned Devices, not as part of the array! What part of this doesn't unRAID understand?!? If anything screwed up here, it's unRAID.

Yes, the other two unassigned disks are the unsuccessful disk5 rebuild (-LCHC) and a parity replacement (-MZHK).

Shut down. Disconnected (SATA, power) old Disk 5. Restarted array. The 'restored' directory is there, but not all of the sub-directories or all of the files. Some are, but some aren't. Another screenshot is attached.

I'm satisfied that I can get almost all of the files off the old Disk 5 when I want to, but I guess the BTRFS weirdness should be solved first? Unless there's a way to force a copy onto other-than-old-Disk-5 array space?

Image_789.png.06ac104b8db700b48a70f176d95a19e8.png

This is what I would do:

-stop array

-tools -> new config (select keep current assignments)

-reassign new parity and new disk5, double check all assignments.

-click on disk5

-change filesystem to xfs

-start array to begin parity sync

-format disk5 (make sure it's the only disk listed next to the format button)

When sync is done and the array is protected reconnect old disk5 with the UD plugin and copy all the data to the array, since new disk 5 is now xfs there shouldn't be any more issues.

Then if you want you can proceed with converting the other disks to xfs, disk6 is easy because it's almost empty, the others will take more time.

Although I don't recommend btrfs for data disks in your case I think that parity was corrupted when the disks/controller crashed, it's a shame you don't have the syslog, because it's the only logical explanation for the rebuilt disk having all 3 superblocks failing crc and making recovery impossible.

Parity rebuild started. (Note: When I did the New Config, there was no explicit, simple "Keep current assignments" option. In the sub-menu of checkboxes for "Keep current assignments," I selected "All.")

New (-LCHC) Disk 5 installed, formatted XFS.

But what's the orange triangle beside Disk 5 doing there, saying "Device contents emulated"? I thought the point of formatting (especially formatting XFS rather than BTRFS) was to blow away whatever Disk 5 history there was?

Image_790.png.e21c0ffc5e81492a97de9b5a5f129742.png

You didn't click apply on new config, instead it's rebuilding disk5 again (and syncing parity).

Since parity2 can't be trusted you can cancel and do the new config, but if you prefer you can leave it like that, parity1 will be good, if there are errors on parity2 they will be corrected after the first parity check.

Interesting. Figured something out:

You know why I didn't click on 'Apply'? Because it was greyed out. Do you know why it was greyed out? Because I hadn't clicked on the checkbox for 'Yes, I want to do this.' Do you know why I didn't click on 'Yes, I want to do this'? Because I didn't see it. Do you know why I didn't see it? Because it was covered up by the secondary checkbox for 'Keep existing configuration.' Do you know why it was covered up by the secondary checkbox? Because I didn't click on '...close' at the bottom of the checkbox. Do you know why I didn't click on the '...close' at the bottom of the checkbox? Because I didn't know I needed to. Do you know why I didn't know I needed to? Because the interface design for this task is poor.

It's pretty dumb to cover up an important part of the UI ("Yes, I want to do this") with what looks like a wholly optional step ("...close"). Especially when there's an ambiguously-titled button ("Done") to click that doesn't then actually apply changes.

Image_791.png.de5e4ac4dffe098cba3a31707ad74a1f.png

Image_792.png.671e4f7cfe1d5b03acbac359baf977db.png

Image_793.png.7c81dbe01515f00a414d1ef0e96d1f80.png

OK, this looks better, I think. Both parity drives rebuilding, Disk 5 with a nice green dot.

I didn't get a chance to re-format Disk 5 during this cycle. Clicking on 'View' shows nothing on the drive, though. I imagine by canceling the original parity check and rebuild, that leaves Disk 5 back where it was immediately following the XFS format step?

Image_794.png.b34d3b55ff185e7f475a5757802b52e5.png