Monitor connected to unRAID not entering sleep mode

queeg

In my computer cabinet I just replaced my old 15inch crt monitor with a slightly less old 15inch lcd monitor.  It's not entering sleep mode with unRAID while the old crt did.  Is there some place in unRAID to make it send out the sleep signal to the monitor?

It's a Planar PE1500 and says EnergyStar on the back.

Does it turn off or go into sleep mode when the computer is turned off?

Also check your bios and see how it turns the monitor off. DPMS, sync blank or something like that.

Yes it sleeps when the computer is turned off.  I looked in the bios but I have no idea what to look for.

Motherboard is GA-MA74GM-S2.

The lcd monitor is connected to a KVM switch just like the crt monitor was.  Two machines on the switch.  One is unRAID, the other is a Winxp.  The crt monitor behaved identically for both machines.  The lcd monitor behaves differently for the unRAID machine.

The new monitor sleeps for Winxp like the crt one did.  When they sleep the monitor says no connection on the screen then the power light turns from green to yellow and it powers down until I move the mouse or press keyboard.  However, for unRAID the screen dims but the power light never changes from green to yellow and it's still pumping out same amount of heat as when screen is active. 

It's not something in the bios.  It's something in linux.  Any help would be appreciated.

I'm trying to modify the monitor suspend and turnoff timers but having a problem

These lines are in /etc/rc.d/rc.M

# Screen blanks after 15 minutes idle time, and powers down in one hour

# if the kernel supports APM or ACPI power management:

/bin/setterm -blank 15 -powersave powerdown -powerdown 60

I changed it to this...

/bin/setterm -blank 5 -powersave powerdown -powerdown 7

but when I reboot and look in the file they are changed back to the original values.

Is /etc/rc.d/rc.M getting created by the OS at boot time?  Why aren't my changes sticking?

Guest smnas

Hi queeg. I'd say it is because this file is executed in RAM from the bzimage file upon boot up, so any changes made to it will be lost when you shut it down. Tom/Joe L, is this correct? Thanks.

Hi queeg. I'd say it is because this file is executed in RAM from the bzimage file upon boot up, so any changes made to it will be lost when you shut it down. Tom/Joe L, is this correct? Thanks.

Exactly.

You should be able to put the same command at the end of your config/go script.  It will then be invoked after the system command in rc.d and hopefully put your monitor into the mode you desire.

Exactly.

You should be able to put the same command at the end of your config/go script.  It will then be invoked after the system command in rc.d and hopefully put your monitor into the mode you desire.

Thanks for that enlightenment smnas and Joe.  I learn something new every day at this forum.

I experimented with the setterm escape codes a bit.

I can set the monitor blank timeout by typing this on the console and it works...

root@Queeg:# echo -e "\e[9;n]"

where n is an interger for number of minutes.  It does the exact same thing as

root@Queeg:# setterm -blank n

but the powerdown sequence doesn't work...

root@Queeg:# setterm -powersave powerdown -powerdown 2

nor does this work

root@Queeg:# echo -e "\e[14;n]"

I'd appreciate if someone else would try them on their monitor so I can figure out if my monitor just doesn't respond to the codes.

Thanks

Aww, cmon.   ;D

Just run this at the console prompt on tty1 and let me know if your monitor powers down after a couple minutes.  The defaults are 15 and 60 when you want to set it back.  

setterm -blank 1 -powersave powerdown -powerdown 2