VPN Server/connection just for one application ?

Hey guys,

actually I'm very new to unraid so I hope this is the correct sub to ask this kind of question.

So my unRaid runs very nicely.

I got a windows pc (this one) and my unraid-server.

I want to use a VPN connection for chrome on my windows pc BUT only! for chrome. Nothing else.

How ? :-)

How can i route all the chrome traffic -> openVPN server on unRaid ? And only the chrome traffic ?

First of all I'm sorry for being not clear enough.

To make a long story short:

Windows --> VPN (for e.g. Airvpn) --> Internet

But I only want my browser on the windows pc to use the vpn connection. Not iTunes, not steam.

I know that there are addons for chrome that can be establish a connection (proxy?) via socks5 or something like that?

So the question is if I can use unraid as some kind of proxy server where the chrome addon can connect to?

Easiest way to accomplish that is install one of binhex's VPN enabled dockers. He bundles Privoxy as a part of the docker, which you would then point Chrome's proxy setting to the Privoxy proxy port at the unraid server address. His dockers are preconfigured for PIA, which is highly recommended, but can be configured for most openvpn compatible VPN services.

The standalone openvpn plugin and dockers that are currently available on unraid are not meant to be used as a connection to a commercial VPN, rather to be used as a private point to point VPN to allow remote management from your personal devices.

First of all I'm sorry for being not clear enough.

To make a long story short:

Windows --> VPN (for e.g. Airvpn) --> Internet

But I only want my browser on the windows pc to use the vpn connection. Not iTunes, not steam.

I know that there are addons for chrome that can be establish a connection (proxy?) via socks5 or something like that?

So the question is if I can use unraid as some kind of proxy server where the chrome addon can connect to?

OK, that makes more sense. Your subject said VPN Server when you really meant VPN client.

Easiest way to accomplish that is install one of binhex's VPN enabled dockers. He bundles Privoxy as a part of the docker, which you would then point Chrome's proxy setting to the Privoxy proxy port at the unraid server address. His dockers are preconfigured for PIA, which is highly recommended, but can be configured for most openvpn compatible VPN services.

The standalone openvpn plugin and dockers that are currently available on unraid are not meant to be used as a connection to a commercial VPN, rather to be used as a private point to point VPN to allow remote management from your personal devices.

Is there any specific addon for chrome that u can recommend in this setup?

Is there any specific addon for chrome that u can recommend in this setup?

No addon needed. Just change proxy in chrome advanced settings.

Does it matter which of binhex vpn apps i use for my purpose ?

Will for e.g. sabnzbdvpn interfere with my regular sabnzbd install ?

thanks for your help :-)

Merry x-mas

The normal rules of app conflict and interference apply, so don't assign duplicate port numbers, and keep the config folders separate. However... since you are paying for VPN access, why not use the app for it's designed purpose as well?