RobJ

Windows issues with unRAID

131 posts in this topic Last Reply

I now know what the issue is and a temporary way of fixing it but in the long run i would really like to see the unraid team recreate the issue on their end and fix it, perhaps upgrading SMB on the unraid would be something to do?

Here's a thread explaining the issue:

On 8/29/2019 at 10:12 AM, Frank1940 said:

For anyone who has never ending problems with SMB and Window 10, If you are using WIN10 PRO (or above), you can use NFS instead of SMB.  You will need to be somewhat comfortable in the use of the command line in Windows (called Command Prompt in WIN10).  Note that this will require that you mount your NFS share(s) as a mapped drive(s) in Windows.  If you want to minimize the number of mapped drives, I would suggest using   /mnt/user0  as the mount point.  The following article describes the steps that are necessary.

https://graspingtech.com/mount-nfs-share-windows-10/

I have not yet tried this but it seems fairly straight forward.  Enabling the NFS services will add another command to the Windows shell-- mount which is used to setting up the mapped drive on your Windows computer.  Note that in the instructions, it is setting up the anonymous user as root which could be a potential security risk.  

I decided to give this a go and was able to successfully mount to my NFS share for Plex. In doing some testing, though, I'm noticing that both SMB and NFS have pretty bad (relative) scan times when it comes to my Plex libraries (around 2-10 Mbps in my Windows network throughput graph).

On my Windows machine (PMS), I've tried changing the mount to use nolock and have also tried TCP / UDP / TCP + UDP for the NFS client.

On my unRAID server, I've tried Auto / Yes for the the Tunable (enable Direct IO) setting.

The machines are connected via ethernet on the same network.

My shares are running using 5400 RPM 6 GB/s spin disks, and my Plex library is structured like this:

/mnt/user/plex/movies/{movie_name} (movie_year}/{movie_name}.{ext}

Using Crystal Disk Mark, I'm able to get decent synthetic scores (30MB/s NFS vs 63MB/s SMB sequential read), so I'm not entirely sure what's causing the slow scanning. (I also was expecting NFS to generally outperform SMB, but it was only better in random read / write, while SMB was better in sequential)

Does anyone have any advice on how I can beef up my connection so that I'm able to push more than a few Mbps?

Edited by Ezro

Recent convert from a Server 2016 Essentials server to Unraid and I am getting the "Multiple connections to a server or shared resource by the same user, using more than one user name are not allowed" issue on my password-protected share.

This wasn't an issue with the shares on the 2016 Essentials box. I could authenticate to a share using domain\user even though I sign into my PC as a Microsoft account and I wasn't joined to AD.

Interestingly, if I change the permissions on the share from read/write to read-only, then back to read/write, I can authenticate and get access once, then back to the error.

1 hour ago, tojoski said:

Recent convert from a Server 2016 Essentials server to Unraid and I am getting the "Multiple connections to a server or shared resource by the same user, using more than one user name are not allowed" issue on my password-protected share.

Have you read either of the threads you posted in?

9 hours ago, trurl said:

Have you read either of the threads you posted in?

Yes, both of them.  It's just frustrating.

Creating a user account on Unraid to match the account on the Windows 10 box is not a great solution.
And since its a Microsoft account, I don't think it's even possible on the Unraid side.

On 11/13/2019 at 12:42 AM, Ezro said:

I decided to give this a go and was able to successfully mount to my NFS share for Plex. In doing some testing, though, I'm noticing that both SMB and NFS have pretty bad (relative) scan times when it comes to my Plex libraries (around 2-10 Mbps in my Windows network throughput graph).

On my Windows machine (PMS), I've tried changing the mount to use nolock and have also tried TCP / UDP / TCP + UDP for the NFS client.

On my unRAID server, I've tried Auto / Yes for the the Tunable (enable Direct IO) setting.

The machines are connected via ethernet on the same network.

My shares are running using 5400 RPM 6 GB/s spin disks, and my Plex library is structured like this:

/mnt/user/plex/movies/{movie_name} (movie_year}/{movie_name}.{ext}

Using Crystal Disk Mark, I'm able to get decent synthetic scores (30MB/s NFS vs 63MB/s SMB sequential read), so I'm not entirely sure what's causing the slow scanning. (I also was expecting NFS to generally outperform SMB, but it was only better in random read / write, while SMB was better in sequential)

Does anyone have any advice on how I can beef up my connection so that I'm able to push more than a few Mbps?

i'm not up on all your posts, but have you tried just making the unraid server also the plex server via docker?