I got a christmas present - write error - drive broken ? :(

So some weeks ago I've successfully setup my unRaid server.

So far everything worked fine. Bought some new 3TB drives and stressed them with preclear. Everything went through without issues ... until today ...

I got a notifcation about some write errors on my disk.

mainmenuotuexa0r38.jpg

So as a newbie I tried restarting the server.

The first parity check stopped and failed after 2 min somehow.

So I did another reboot. At the moment the check is in progress.

I attached the SMART report of the drive and a screenshot.

Stupid questions - but what are the right next steps in this case ?

unraid-smart-20161226-1634.zip

SMART looks fine, server was rebooted so we can't see what happened, but instead of the read check might as well rebuild to the same disk instead.

I would swap/replace the SATA and power cables just rule them out before doing the rebuild, SATA cable especially as there are a couple of CRC errors, not normal on such a new disk.

Everyone else has given good advice, but I just thought I would comment on this in a more general way.

...Stupid questions - but what are the right next steps in this case ?

The first right step would have been to ask since you didn't really know what to do, and people have made mistakes in this situation.

Read this wiki and please ask if you have any questions about what happened or how to proceed:

What do I do if I get a red X next to a hard disk?

Everyone else has given good advice, but I just thought I would comment on this in a more general way.

...Stupid questions - but what are the right next steps in this case ?

The first right step would have been to ask since you didn't really know what to do, and people have made mistakes in this situation.

Read this wiki and please ask if you have any questions about what happened or how to proceed:

What do I do if I get a red X next to a hard disk?

Yeah well thanks for pointing that out ...

let me quote from the wiki

Just remember that you MUST obtain the syslog or diagnostics now, BEFORE you reboot.

::)

Also might be worth mentioning that the forum is full of threads where people have been helped through this situation and others that are worse. In case you don't know how to search the forum (no, it's not obvious) see the sticky linked in my sig. ;D

Yes i know :)

But as a newbie its a bit tricky + foreign language ... but you are absolutley right.

I swapped the cable (DATA and power) and followed the wiki and readded the disk.

At the moment the rebuild is in progress.

Lets see what happens :)