Login Credentials required all of a sudden

visdomr

Out of no where (nothing has changed since last time I logged in) my unraid server is now requiring a user name and password.

Except, the user name and password I set for myself (that isnt a sudo user) isnt working. And root doesnt have a password by default thus wont let me login.

did I miss something? This is visiting both the local and wan ip of the server.

Thank you in advance for any and all help!

... This is visiting both the local and wan ip of the server.

Your server shouldn't have a WAN IP. Maybe you've been hacked.

I assigned it one. I have a static WAN IP that I use for it.

So your server is freely accessible for everyone on the world wide web?

Setup has not been completely finished yet. so yes, that was one of the things I was trying to fix until I got blocked out with this login prompt issue.  the server has been "live" on the WAN IP for only 3 days. I havent noticed any abnormal traffic on my firewall though, and no traffic besides myself connecting to that specific IP.

I'm not sure if I'm describing the same issue as you, visdomr, but I went to use PuTTY to log in to my unRAID server, and 'root/<none>'—which worked last week—doesn't work today.

That is one of the side effects I am having. my ssh cred with root doesnt work now. my normal login i made for myself works still though. but now the webGUI asks for login info when it didnt use to.

Setup has not been completely finished yet. so yes, that was one of the things I was trying to fix until I got blocked out with this login prompt issue.  the server has been "live" on the WAN IP for only 3 days. I havent noticed any abnormal traffic on my firewall though, and no traffic besides myself connecting to that specific IP.

What are you using for a firewall? Normally your router is only a firewall for your LAN, but you said you had put your unRAID server on WAN. Where are you looking to see the traffic on that IP?

What are you using for a firewall? Normally your router is only a firewall for your LAN, but you said you had put your unRAID server on WAN. Where are you looking to see the traffic on that IP?

PFSense firewall, i forwarded one of my static WANs to the servers local IP. I check the log for any connections that involve that local IP.

99% sure somebody out there on the internet now owns your server.

Looks like that 1% was correct.

I removed a few files that limetech support emailed me instructing me to do, and I can now get back into my server. I'm currently setting up a VPN and keeping that WAN closed. Thank you for those who did try to help.