Best case for an all-external drive system?

Rajahal

I'm specifically comparing the classic Cooler Master CM-590 (currently $70) versus the Antec 900 (currently on sale for $80 + $10 shipping).

I also love the Norco 4020, but I'm not sure I can justify the price, especially since I don't plan on going much past 9 or maybe 10 drives.

As for hot swap bays, I'm partial to the iStarUSA (I already have one of those, so I would buy 8 more), though there certainly are cheaper options.

I've got the Antec 1200 which I believe is just a bigger 900 and it's definitely not screwless to add/remove drives.  You can get a 5 in 3 or 4 in 3 drive cage that is screwless but you can do that with many cases.

By all-external, I mean all hot swap bays (hence screwless drive upgrade/replacement).

WeeboTech's CM-590 based server has been my dream build for some time.  Up until now I've been planning on getting a CM-590, but just today I noticed the Antec 900 on sale, and that it advertises 'External 9 x 5.25"' in its tech specs.

Glad I could inspire.  ;D  I'm actually outgrowing it now. I'm planning to build a 20 drive array in a CM stacker.

In any case the antec 900 or 1200 would suffice also. If I were doing it again today I might select the 1200.  I like that it has the larger fans and the power does not take up a 5.25" slot.

Archived