mini-itx board AMD passtrough

NoobSpy

He Guys,

Im new to unRaid and kinda rolled into it with the Linus ep. I was like hey this is exactly what i need. I did my homework because I noticed he used an extra gpu for booting up. I came here and read unRaid works headless. I was he must have gotten it wrong. Except that seemed to be true in a certain extend. I wanted to go with this board but it didn't support the m.2 I wanted to use for my cache so i went with this single slot gpu x16 mobo

Initially i went with a Nvidia card. But that doesnt work for some reason. I went out and bought a AMD card because I read on the forums that works.

Question can I passtrough my AMD:

02:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Oland PRO [Radeon R7 240/340] [1002:6613] (rev 87)

HVM: Enabled

IOMMU: Enabled

Maybe I misread on the forums but this should work except I get a black screen. Do I need to do something for unRaid to give up the use of that card? or am I doomed

Cheers,

NoobSpy

Did you happen to look at the VM FAQs?

There is a question that I think fits exactly your scenario: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=53435.msg514310#msg514310

Thank you for your reply I did everything including dumping of the bios. But all I get is a black screen.

I am just not knowledgeable on this enough to understand what is going. I dont understand why unraid is not really headless. Understand it needs to output the ip on the screen but why you cant boot afterwards without it if everything is set up. All I can do is buy a new board and start all over again. 

Anyone willing to help me out and tell me if VM passthrough is an option for me or i need to get me a new mobo for my xeon ?

I had a similar issue when I first started.

When your server boots, does the BIOS print on the display the card you want passed through is connected to?

I had to set in my BIOS for my onboard graphics to be the default display (where the BIOS and unraid print to) otherwise I could not passthrough my GPU.

I had a similar issue when I first started.

When your server boots, does the BIOS print on the display the card you want passed through is connected to?

I had to set in my BIOS for my onboard graphics to be the default display (where the BIOS and unraid print to) otherwise I could not passthrough my GPU.

Just had a look at the board you have @NoobSpy and you do have onboard graphics, so go in the bios and set the graphics to choose the onboard, as ehftwelve mentions, and connect a monitor to the vga port to see if unraid uses it.

If you still have problems passing through your GPU, try switching from ovmf to seabios (or other way around). You have to make a new VM for this.

Sorry for not reply sooner guys. Thank you for trying to help. But 2 days ago I got this to work. I read the FAQ and noticed I didnt see some fields.

It had to do with the advance slider and me not setting seabios > Linux. With AMD it just works.

Anyways my board doesnt have a build-in GPU. I went with the Asrock version because it had a m2 slot for my cache.