What size parity drive

Southbark

The parity drive needs to be at least as large as your largest data drive. Your data drives are 3TB so your parity should be at least 3 TB.

Know that when you add a new drive in the future you cannot use a drive larger then your parity drive. So lets say you want to expand your array in the future and you want to add a 6TB data drive, then you would need to add 2 6TB drives, one for parity and one for data. Your current parity drive you can then reuse as a data drive.

As far as 1 or 2 parity drives is concerned, that is up to you. With one parity drive one disk can fail and you loose nothing. With two parity drives you can loose two.

As far as 1 or 2 parity drives is concerned, that is up to you. With one parity drive one disk can fail and you loose nothing. With two parity drives you can loose two.

How do you lose 2 drives if one fails?

Can I buy just one big parity drive 6 or 8 tb to cover the whole system? For future upgrades

What he meant is that if you have 2 parity drives, you can have 2 disks fail simultaneously and you still loose nothing.

Can I buy just one big parity drive 6 or 8 tb to cover the whole system? For future upgrades

If you have a 6TB parity drive then you can use any number of data disks* but no single data drive can be larger than 6TB. Similarly with 8TB parity, any number of data disks but none larger than 8TB. So the size of the parity drive doesn't limit how much storage you can have, it just limits how large any single drive in your storage can be. Of course there are other limits such as number of ports, number of drive bays, number of connections allowed by your license.

*Technically there is some limit to the number of disks you can assign to the array even with a PRO license. (is it still 26?)

You might want to read this:

http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php/UnRAID_6/Overview#Parity-Protected_Array

A single parity drive can protect any number of data drives, up to the 28 drive limit of a Pro license (mind you, I'd have added the 2nd parity drive long before then :) ).  The parity drive doesn't need to get bigger as you add more drives - it just needs to be as big as your biggest data drive.  If you'd like to add 6TB or 8TB data drives in the future then by all means, invest in a 6TB or 8TB parity drive now.

• 2 years later...
13 minutes ago, Raja Ray said:

If I want to use two parity disk and three data disk than data will be safe or not..? 

Parity disk(s) protect against disk failures,  They DO NOT contain a backup of the data.  If you have two parity disks and three data disks in your array, two of the three data disks (or one parity and one data disk) could fail at the same time and the data will be rebuilt on replacement disks when they are added to the array.

You still need to make backups of your important data to storage outside of the array such as external drive(s) a backup server, the cloud, etc.

29 minutes ago, Raja Ray said:

Whats Size I will use for cache disk for NAS?  

I depends on what you will use it for.  Will you cache writes to the array? Store your docker applications in appdata on the cache drive? Save downloads to cache?

You need to decide what you will use the cache drive for and size it appropriately for those needs.  Most have cache drives (if they are SSDs which is recommended) between 250GB to 1TB in size.  You may also have more than one cache drive in a cache pool.

• 4 years later...

What I don't see anything talked about is time.

If you are putting in large drives 10-18TB and have an 18TB parity drive it will take months for the parity to be created. If you lose a drive, (which I have not yet) I assume it will take just as long to rebuild the files. For things like family pictures, maybe you can wait months. For things like VM's or web application files, you need those back IMMEDIATELY. So best thing to do is create multiple backups of the files, and a cloud offiste backup too. 

If anything is writing to the array drives it slows down the parity build significantly to keep the array accesses as quick as possible. Click the blue lines icon at the top right of your large screenshot to show drive speeds instead of access counts. That may help you figure out what is accessing the array.

• 4 weeks later...

I ended up turning off all the writes (downloads) to the array while parity was building. For the size of the array it took 2 days to build. Strangely, the parity build would crash any dockers, even though they were on the cache drive. So I also had to disable docker during the parity build. If there were a rebuild of parity, I would not want to have to stop Docker. This is keeping me from using it in a production environment.