Cursor dissappears in VNC

thany

When I open a VNC connection to a VM from within the web interface, the cursor on that VNC session disappears. In the settings of the VNC window, the setting "local cursor" is ticked, but also greyed out. When I disconnect VNC, "local cursor" is still greyed out and ticked. To be clear: I'm not getting a local cursor AND I'm not getting a remote cursor.

I've tested this on IE11 and Edge.

This is not a random question, this is a defect. A very small one, i.e. it doesn't crash the server or destroy data, but it's miserably inconvenient when I really don't have another option than to access a VM through VNC.

TLDR:

This is a bug.

This is *not* a support question.

All the information is in the post.

If you're unhappy with bug report, go stick em where the sun don't shine, because I don't like it being treated this way by commerical company, as a paying user, when I try to submit a bug and put time and effort in it.

Take it, fix the bug and make the OS better, or leave it and keep this stupid simple bug in there. Up to you.

All the information is in the post.

If you're unhappy with bug report, go stick em where the sun don't shine, because I don't like it being treated this way by commerical company, as a paying user, when I try to submit a bug and put time and effort in it.

Take it, fix the bug and make the OS better, or leave it and keep this stupid simple bug in there. Up to you.

All of the moderators on the forum are just users like yourself who are volunteering their time and experience to help others. A good attitude will go a long way in getting these volunteers to help you.

And the reason I said this

Before you go posting in Defect Reports again with some random question, please read the Guidelines for Defect Reports stickied in that subforum.

is because I had already had to move at least one other thread you started in Defect Reports.

It can be difficult for new users to determine where the problem is and often their problem can be fixed by changing something about their configuration, instead of releasing another version of the software. This can be true even if more than one user reports a similar problem.

Maybe this particular problem is a defect and maybe it isn't. I don't know of other users reporting a similar problem, but maybe they have. You might try searching the forum to see. Maybe there is a solution already out there.

See How to Search sticky linked in my sig.

Also, I would be happy to get rid of everything except your initial post in this thread since the rest of this isn't really contributing anything to the community. I will probably do so unless you object.

• 2 weeks later...

This is a simple javascript problem. Hiding the cursor is browser-specific. It hasn't got anything to do with cache or adblocking.

Besides, I was doing this on a virgin pc, and I haven't ever had a previous unraid version installed anywhere. So cache couldn't possibly pose a problem.

• 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

As I had to revisit recreating my Ubuntu 16 VM, then while I was at it, decided to upgrade to Ubuntu 18, I noticed the missing cursor bug was still present with UnRAID 6.7.2; two years after I reported this error in this forum (I had been using Xorg and Microsoft RDP and hadn't touched UnRAID's VNC Remote since my first reporting).

Thany mentioned this is a Javascript/browser issue, so I'm now confused.  Since this issue still exists and effects other users, is this truly a simple Javascript/browser issue that can be corrected by a preference setting?  Or this really an UnRAID bug?

This has been an issue with me when I have a touchscreen in the mix.  Works fine from a system without a touchscreen.  My solution every time I set up a new VM is to use a non-touch computer to get in via VNC, then set up chrome remote desktop, which doesn't have the cursor issue.  Then I can use any system I want.  Not a solution. but it hasn't bothered me since.