Moving server to new hardware

Absolutely, hopefully there wont be any issues with the backplane, won't know that until I move all the drives, but I can test pretty much everything else. The system comes with this motherboard DA0S50MB8D which is a dual Xeon board, can't tell what the onboard NICS are but if they don't work I can throw a PCIe network card in.

Absolutely, hopefully there wont be any issues with the backplane, won't know that until I move all the drives, but I can test pretty much everything else. The system comes with this motherboard DA0S50MB8D which is a dual Xeon board, can't tell what the onboard NICS are but if they don't work I can throw a PCIe network card in.

You can partially test the backplane by using a spare drive with the trial unraid license. Preclear it as a (low) stress test on the communication path from drive to motherboard, assign it as a data drive, write to it, read from it.

Power down and swap it to another bay, repeat as much of the testing as needed to make you feel comfortable with as many drive bays as you need initially.

An older small drive would be ideal for testing, as long as you know for sure the bays are good for larger than 2.2TB.

• 1 year later...

Hello I too have a similar question

I will be moving my smaller unraid system from a computer case using an i5 3GHz 16GB ram and four 3.5" drives to a 2U server with dual Xeon E5 with a total of 24 threads, 56GB ram and uses 2.5" drives....so needless to say the shares wont be coming over just the USB boot drive with unraid and my two 256GB SSD cache drives.

I was thinking that I would boot up in new server and select new config keeping my cache only configured. choosing the currently single 1TB 2.5" in there and starting up the array.

the data on my current shares is already backed up and is not critical

whats stored from appdata on my cache drives is critical 

thoughts?

***edit. well took the plunge everything went pretty smoothly. having an issue with the homebridge docker but i dont thinks its due to the move of servers its just the Philips hue plugin not working.

Edited by Can0nfan