**VIDEO GUIDE** Install a custom LibreElec VM complete with Emulation Station

SpaceInvaderOne

Hi guys. I have made a video about how to install LibreElec without using the limetech template.

The version installed in this video is a custom build complete the emulation station and retro arch built in. This as well as chrome and spotify. In this video you will see how to fix the audio problems that can bug some of us,  with Libre or Open Elec.

Hope you find it useful.

Install a custom LibreElec complete with emulation station and other apps on unRAID

• Like 3

I haven't wanted to install LibreElec until now.

Is finding the game roms difficult?

Not difficult, but it violates copyright laws in many jurisdictions. Any discussions in this forum will likely be removed because of that.

Yes we cant discuss about roms here. As well as emulation there are some other cool things in the build.

I find having google chrome in Kodi useful.

Here is a list from the devs page about what this build contains

- Based on LibreELEC 8.0

- Kodi 17 Krypton

- Emulationstation (Herdinger fork with fixes from RetroPie)

- sselph's CLI scraper included (not automatically used)

- RetroArch (Generic build has all cores from buildbot, RPi has most of the updated ones compiled in) with Vulkan support (only Intel for now)

- VICE C64 emulator

- Amiga emulators (uae4arm-rpi for RPi or FS-UAE for Generic)

- Dolphin Wii/GameCube emulator

- ResidualVM (Grim Fandango and Escape from Monkey Island engine)

- Dosbox extended SDL2 fork

- Shortcut to Emulationstation and RetroArch from Kodi homescreen (Estuary mod, no launcher addon required)

- Bluetooth for RPi3 works out of the box (after enabling in LE settings) - tested with DS4

- F2FS/BTRFS/XFS file system support

- UNFS3 NFS server (/storage and /media exported rw to any IP by default)

- OpenVPN server

- Transmission BitTorrent, SABnzbd, Sonarr (needs Mono addon) and Plex Media Server

- QEMU (statically linked binary to enable running ARM Docker containers on x86_64)

- DRI3 enabled by default on Intel (gives you tear free video in browsers)

- Google Chrome

- Spotify

- Blu-ray playback (requires MakeMKV addon)

• 2 months later...
On 29/03/2017 at 10:55 PM, Keyser Soze said:

Excellent guide!!!

However, is there a way to copy the standard unraid openelec image's feature of storing the profile data outside of the image/vm into the appdata share folder?

Thanks!

Thanks Keyser, glad you like the guide. But no thats not something I have tried to do. Why not just backup the vdisk if you worry about loosing the data?

• 5 months later...

Hey grid, awesome guide!

Wanted to say that I got everything setup the way you mentioned and even got my DS4 controllers connected via my passed through BT dongle. Sound seems to work for some ROMs, but not others. Im guessing thats probably just an ES or ROM file issue. Keyboard inputs seemed to work, but I did run into a bit of an issue that I have a question for you on. Were you able to actually use your DS4s inside any of the emulated games? Both of my DS4s work flawlessly outside the emulator in Kodi. Their buttons, sticks, touch pad, etc. all fine. I can open the emulator menu and configure the controllers with every button being recognized there as well. However, every ROM I open since adding the controllers, I end up with no input working. Even the keyboard won't input anymore, making me have to force stop the VM. I'm curious as to how you faired in this area and if you have any suggestions for me.

Thanks mate!

From what I found, it seems that the controller is working in ES. Pressing F1 while a ROM is running though brings up the RetroArch (think thats what its called) menu. Its there that for some reason in my case that the controller is going crazy. Disconnect the controller and the keyboard works fine, connect the controller and it gets like quadruple inputs per button press.

Not sure about the amiga stuff though, sorry.

• 3 months later...

Hi, thanks for once again a fabulous guide. I followed everything from your video and got it installed and running well.

I just have a little trouble with my mouse. I use a logitech combo wireless keyboard+mouse that I pass-through to the libreelec vm. 

Inside the main kodi interface, both these devices work perfectly.

Once I open chrome, on any mouse movement, the screen flickers and shows screen artifacts, and abruptly the mouse cursor goes missing. The moment I stop using the mouse, the screen is back to normal. Any idea how can I solve this issue?

• 7 months later...

Thanks for the guide.   Thought I got it all installed correctly, but when I select a rom, it acts like it's going to load it, but then just returns to the rom selection screen.

Here's my es_log.txt:

lvl2:     EmulationStation - v2.8.0rp-dev, built Aug 16 2018 - 00:23:07
lvl2:     Parsing XML file "/storage/.emulationstation/resources/mamenames.xml"...
lvl2:     Creating surface...
lvl2:     Created window successfully.
lvl2:     Checking available OpenGL extensions...
lvl2:      ARB_texture_non_power_of_two: ok
lvl2:     Loading system config file /storage/.emulationstation/es_systems.cfg...
lvl1:       Warning from theme "/etc/emulationstation/themes/es-theme-carbon/theme.xml"
  (from included file "/etc/emulationstation/themes/es-theme-carbon/carbon.xml")
    could not find file "" 
lvl1:       Warning from theme "/etc/emulationstation/themes/es-theme-carbon/theme.xml"
    could not find file "./art/controller/${system.theme}.svg" (which resolved to "/etc/emulationstation/themes/es-theme-carbon/art/controller/n3ds.svg") 
    could not find file "./art/logo/${system.theme}.svg" (which resolved to "/etc/emulationstation/themes/es-theme-carbon/art/logo/n3ds.svg") 
    could not find file "./art/logo/${system.theme}.svg" (which resolved to "/etc/emulationstation/themes/es-theme-carbon/art/logo/n3ds.svg") 
    could not find file "./art/controller/${system.theme}.svg" (which resolved to "/etc/emulationstation/themes/es-theme-carbon/art/controller/n3ds.svg") 
lvl1:     System "n3ds" has no games! Ignoring it.
lvl1:       Warning from theme "/etc/emulationstation/themes/es-theme-carbon/amiga/theme.xml"
  (from included file "/etc/emulationstation/themes/es-theme-carbon/amiga/../carbon.xml")
    could not find file "" 
lvl1:     System "amiga" has no games! Ignoring it.
lvl1:       Warning from theme "/etc/emulationstation/themes/es-theme-carbon/c64/theme.xml"
  (from included file "/etc/emulationstation/themes/es-theme-carbon/c64/../carbon.xml")
    could not find file "" 
lvl1:     System "c64" has no games! Ignoring it.
lvl1:       Unknown platform for system "fba" (platform "fba" from list "fba")
lvl1:       Warning from theme "/etc/emulationstation/themes/es-theme-carbon/fba/theme.xml"
  (from included file "/etc/emulationstation/themes/es-theme-carbon/fba/../carbon.xml")
    could not find file "" 
lvl1:     System "fba" has no games! Ignoring it.
lvl2:     Parsing XML file "/storage/.emulationstation/gamelists/mame/gamelist.xml"...
lvl1:       Warning from theme "/etc/emulationstation/themes/es-theme-carbon/mame/theme.xml"
  (from included file "/etc/emulationstation/themes/es-theme-carbon/mame/../carbon.xml")
    could not find file "" 
lvl2:     Parsing XML file "/storage/.emulationstation/gamelists/nes/gamelist.xml"...
lvl1:       Warning from theme "/etc/emulationstation/themes/es-theme-carbon/nes/theme.xml"
  (from included file "/etc/emulationstation/themes/es-theme-carbon/nes/../carbon.xml")
    could not find file "" 
lvl1:       Warning from theme "/etc/emulationstation/themes/es-theme-carbon/n64/theme.xml"
  (from included file "/etc/emulationstation/themes/es-theme-carbon/n64/../carbon.xml")
    could not find file "" 
lvl1:     System "n64" has no games! Ignoring it.
lvl1:       Warning from theme "/etc/emulationstation/themes/es-theme-carbon/psx/theme.xml"
  (from included file "/etc/emulationstation/themes/es-theme-carbon/psx/../carbon.xml")
    could not find file "" 
lvl1:     System "psx" has no games! Ignoring it.
lvl1:     Error - folder with path "/storage/roms/unraid/ps2" is not a directory!
lvl1:       Warning from theme "/etc/emulationstation/themes/es-theme-carbon/ps2/theme.xml"
  (from included file "/etc/emulationstation/themes/es-theme-carbon/ps2/../carbon.xml")
    could not find file "" 
lvl1:       Warning from theme "/etc/emulationstation/themes/es-theme-carbon/ps2/theme.xml"
    could not find file "./art/controller.svg" (which resolved to "/etc/emulationstation/themes/es-theme-carbon/ps2/art/controller.svg") 
    could not find file "./art/controller.svg" (which resolved to "/etc/emulationstation/themes/es-theme-carbon/ps2/art/controller.svg") 
lvl1:     System "ps2" has no games! Ignoring it.
lvl1:       Warning from theme "/etc/emulationstation/themes/es-theme-carbon/psp/theme.xml"
  (from included file "/etc/emulationstation/themes/es-theme-carbon/psp/../carbon.xml")
    could not find file "" 
lvl1:     System "psp" has no games! Ignoring it.
lvl1:       Warning from theme "/etc/emulationstation/themes/es-theme-carbon/snes/theme.xml"
  (from included file "/etc/emulationstation/themes/es-theme-carbon/snes/../carbon.xml")
    could not find file "" 
lvl1:     System "snes" has no games! Ignoring it.
lvl1:       Warning from theme "/etc/emulationstation/themes/es-theme-carbon/zxspectrum/theme.xml"
  (from included file "/etc/emulationstation/themes/es-theme-carbon/zxspectrum/../carbon.xml")
    could not find file "" 
lvl1:     System "zxspectrum" has no games! Ignoring it.
lvl1:       Warning from theme "/etc/emulationstation/themes/es-theme-carbon/gba/theme.xml"
  (from included file "/etc/emulationstation/themes/es-theme-carbon/gba/../carbon.xml")
    could not find file "" 
lvl1:     System "gba" has no games! Ignoring it.
lvl1:       Warning from theme "/etc/emulationstation/themes/es-theme-carbon/saturn/theme.xml"
  (from included file "/etc/emulationstation/themes/es-theme-carbon/saturn/../carbon.xml")
    could not find file "" 
lvl1:     System "saturn" has no games! Ignoring it.
lvl1:       Warning from theme "/etc/emulationstation/themes/es-theme-carbon/dreamcast/theme.xml"
  (from included file "/etc/emulationstation/themes/es-theme-carbon/dreamcast/../carbon.xml")
    could not find file "" 
lvl1:     System "dreamcast" has no games! Ignoring it.
lvl1:       Warning from theme "/etc/emulationstation/themes/es-theme-carbon/nds/theme.xml"
  (from included file "/etc/emulationstation/themes/es-theme-carbon/nds/../carbon.xml")
    could not find file "" 
lvl1:     System "nds" has no games! Ignoring it.
lvl1:       Warning from theme "/etc/emulationstation/themes/es-theme-carbon/genesis/theme.xml"
  (from included file "/etc/emulationstation/themes/es-theme-carbon/genesis/../carbon.xml")
    could not find file "" 
lvl1:     System "genesis" has no games! Ignoring it.
lvl1:       Warning from theme "/etc/emulationstation/themes/es-theme-carbon/gc/theme.xml"
  (from included file "/etc/emulationstation/themes/es-theme-carbon/gc/../carbon.xml")
    could not find file "" 
lvl1:       Warning from theme "/etc/emulationstation/themes/es-theme-carbon/gc/theme.xml"
    could not find file "./art/controller.svg" (which resolved to "/etc/emulationstation/themes/es-theme-carbon/gc/art/controller.svg") 
    could not find file "./art/controller.svg" (which resolved to "/etc/emulationstation/themes/es-theme-carbon/gc/art/controller.svg") 
lvl1:     System "gc" has no games! Ignoring it.
lvl1:       Warning from theme "/etc/emulationstation/themes/es-theme-carbon/pc/theme.xml"
  (from included file "/etc/emulationstation/themes/es-theme-carbon/pc/../carbon.xml")
    could not find file "" 
lvl1:     System "pc" has no games! Ignoring it.
lvl2:     Parsing XML file "/storage/.emulationstation/gamelists/wii/gamelist.xml"...
lvl1:       Warning from theme "/etc/emulationstation/themes/es-theme-carbon/wii/theme.xml"
  (from included file "/etc/emulationstation/themes/es-theme-carbon/wii/../carbon.xml")
    could not find file "" 
lvl1:       Warning from theme "/etc/emulationstation/themes/es-theme-carbon/wii/theme.xml"
    could not find file "./art/controller.svg" (which resolved to "/etc/emulationstation/themes/es-theme-carbon/wii/art/controller.svg") 
    could not find file "./art/controller.svg" (which resolved to "/etc/emulationstation/themes/es-theme-carbon/wii/art/controller.svg") 
lvl1:       Warning from theme "/etc/emulationstation/themes/es-theme-carbon/wonderswan/theme.xml"
  (from included file "/etc/emulationstation/themes/es-theme-carbon/wonderswan/../carbon.xml")
    could not find file "" 
lvl1:     System "wonderswan" has no games! Ignoring it.
lvl1:       Warning from theme "/etc/emulationstation/themes/es-theme-carbon/auto-allgames/theme.xml"
  (from included file "/etc/emulationstation/themes/es-theme-carbon/auto-allgames/../carbon.xml")
    could not find file "" 
lvl1:       Warning from theme "/etc/emulationstation/themes/es-theme-carbon/auto-favorites/theme.xml"
  (from included file "/etc/emulationstation/themes/es-theme-carbon/auto-favorites/../carbon.xml")
    could not find file "" 
lvl1:       Warning from theme "/etc/emulationstation/themes/es-theme-carbon/auto-lastplayed/theme.xml"
  (from included file "/etc/emulationstation/themes/es-theme-carbon/auto-lastplayed/../carbon.xml")
    could not find file "" 
lvl1:       Warning from theme "/etc/emulationstation/themes/es-theme-carbon/custom-collections/theme.xml"
  (from included file "/etc/emulationstation/themes/es-theme-carbon/custom-collections/../carbon.xml")
    could not find file "" 
lvl2:      req sound [basic.launch]
lvl2:        (missing)
lvl0:     AudioManager Error - Unable to open SDL audio: ALSA: Couldn't open audio device: No such file or directory

lvl2:     Attempting to launch game...
lvl0:     VolumeControl::init() - Failed to find mixer elements!
lvl2:         /usr/bin/retroarch.start -L /tmp/cores/quicknes_libretro.so /storage/roms/unraid/nes/alter_ego/Alter_Ego.nes
lvl2:     Creating surface...
lvl2:     Created window successfully.
lvl0:     VolumeControl::init() - Failed to find mixer elements!

Videos seem to play fine, but can't get a game to load.

Any thoughts?

Edited by brainbone
On 8/29/2018 at 4:53 AM, brainbone said:

Thanks for the guide.   Thought I got it all installed correctly, but when I select a rom, it acts like it's going to load it, but then just returns to the rom selection screen.

Here's my es_log.txt:

Videos seem to play fine, but can't get a game to load.

Any thoughts?

Seems like i got the same error. At least the problem is the same and my log looks quite similar.

Any help?

lvl2: 	EmulationStation - v2.8.0rp-dev, built Aug 16 2018 - 00:23:07
lvl2: 	Parsing XML file "/storage/.emulationstation/resources/mamenames.xml"...
lvl2: 	Creating surface...
lvl2: 	Created window successfully.
lvl2: 	Added known joystick Microsoft X-Box One pad (Firmware 2015) (instance ID: 0, device index: 0)
lvl2: 	Checking available OpenGL extensions...
lvl2: 	 ARB_texture_non_power_of_two: ok
lvl2: 	Loading system config file /storage/.emulationstation/es_systems.cfg...
lvl1: 	  Warning from theme "/etc/emulationstation/themes/es-theme-carbon/theme.xml"
  (from included file "/etc/emulationstation/themes/es-theme-carbon/carbon.xml")
    could not find file "" 
lvl1: 	  Warning from theme "/etc/emulationstation/themes/es-theme-carbon/theme.xml"
lvl1: 	System "n3ds" has no games! Ignoring it.
lvl1: 	  Warning from theme "/etc/emulationstation/themes/es-theme-carbon/amiga/theme.xml"
  (from included file "/etc/emulationstation/themes/es-theme-carbon/amiga/../carbon.xml")
    could not find file "" 
lvl1: 	System "amiga" has no games! Ignoring it.
lvl1: 	  Warning from theme "/etc/emulationstation/themes/es-theme-carbon/c64/theme.xml"
  (from included file "/etc/emulationstation/themes/es-theme-carbon/c64/../carbon.xml")
    could not find file "" 
lvl1: 	System "c64" has no games! Ignoring it.
lvl1: 	  Unknown platform for system "fba" (platform "fba" from list "fba")
lvl1: 	  Warning from theme "/etc/emulationstation/themes/es-theme-carbon/fba/theme.xml"
  (from included file "/etc/emulationstation/themes/es-theme-carbon/fba/../carbon.xml")
    could not find file "" 
lvl1: 	System "fba" has no games! Ignoring it.
lvl1: 	  Warning from theme "/etc/emulationstation/themes/es-theme-carbon/mame/theme.xml"
  (from included file "/etc/emulationstation/themes/es-theme-carbon/mame/../carbon.xml")
    could not find file "" 
lvl1: 	System "mame" has no games! Ignoring it.
lvl2: 	Parsing XML file "/storage/.emulationstation/gamelists/nes/gamelist.xml"...
lvl1: 	File "/storage/roms/nes/Super Mario Bros 3 (E).nes" does not exist! Ignoring.
lvl1: 	  Warning from theme "/etc/emulationstation/themes/es-theme-carbon/nes/theme.xml"
  (from included file "/etc/emulationstation/themes/es-theme-carbon/nes/../carbon.xml")
    could not find file "" 
lvl1: 	System "nes" has no games! Ignoring it.
lvl2: 	Parsing XML file "/storage/.emulationstation/gamelists/n64/gamelist.xml"...
lvl1: 	File "/storage/roms/n64/Star Wars - Shadows of the Empire (U) (V1.2) [!].z64" does not exist! Ignoring.
lvl1: 	  Warning from theme "/etc/emulationstation/themes/es-theme-carbon/n64/theme.xml"
  (from included file "/etc/emulationstation/themes/es-theme-carbon/n64/../carbon.xml")
    could not find file "" 
lvl1: 	  Warning from theme "/etc/emulationstation/themes/es-theme-carbon/psx/theme.xml"
  (from included file "/etc/emulationstation/themes/es-theme-carbon/psx/../carbon.xml")
    could not find file "" 
lvl1: 	System "psx" has no games! Ignoring it.
lvl1: 	  Warning from theme "/etc/emulationstation/themes/es-theme-carbon/ps2/theme.xml"
  (from included file "/etc/emulationstation/themes/es-theme-carbon/ps2/../carbon.xml")
    could not find file "" 
lvl1: 	  Warning from theme "/etc/emulationstation/themes/es-theme-carbon/ps2/theme.xml"
lvl1: 	System "ps2" has no games! Ignoring it.
lvl1: 	  Warning from theme "/etc/emulationstation/themes/es-theme-carbon/psp/theme.xml"
  (from included file "/etc/emulationstation/themes/es-theme-carbon/psp/../carbon.xml")
    could not find file "" 
lvl1: 	System "psp" has no games! Ignoring it.
lvl2: 	Parsing XML file "/storage/.emulationstation/gamelists/snes/gamelist.xml"...
lvl1: 	File "/storage/roms/snes/Super Mario World (U) [!].smc" does not exist! Ignoring.
lvl1: 	  Warning from theme "/etc/emulationstation/themes/es-theme-carbon/snes/theme.xml"
  (from included file "/etc/emulationstation/themes/es-theme-carbon/snes/../carbon.xml")
    could not find file "" 
lvl1: 	System "snes" has no games! Ignoring it.
lvl1: 	Error - folder with path "/storage/roms/zxspectrum" is not a directory!
lvl1: 	  Warning from theme "/etc/emulationstation/themes/es-theme-carbon/zxspectrum/theme.xml"
  (from included file "/etc/emulationstation/themes/es-theme-carbon/zxspectrum/../carbon.xml")
    could not find file "" 
lvl1: 	System "zxspectrum" has no games! Ignoring it.
lvl2: 	Parsing XML file "/storage/.emulationstation/gamelists/gba/gamelist.xml"...
lvl1: 	File "/storage/roms/gba/Legend of Zelda, The - A Link To The Past Four Swords (U) [!].gba" does not exist! Ignoring.
lvl1: 	  Warning from theme "/etc/emulationstation/themes/es-theme-carbon/gba/theme.xml"
  (from included file "/etc/emulationstation/themes/es-theme-carbon/gba/../carbon.xml")
    could not find file "" 
lvl1: 	System "gba" has no games! Ignoring it.
lvl1: 	  Warning from theme "/etc/emulationstation/themes/es-theme-carbon/saturn/theme.xml"
  (from included file "/etc/emulationstation/themes/es-theme-carbon/saturn/../carbon.xml")
    could not find file "" 
lvl1: 	System "saturn" has no games! Ignoring it.
lvl1: 	  Warning from theme "/etc/emulationstation/themes/es-theme-carbon/dreamcast/theme.xml"
  (from included file "/etc/emulationstation/themes/es-theme-carbon/dreamcast/../carbon.xml")
    could not find file "" 
lvl1: 	System "dreamcast" has no games! Ignoring it.
lvl2: 	Parsing XML file "/storage/.emulationstation/gamelists/nds/gamelist.xml"...
lvl1: 	File "/storage/roms/nds/0023 - Star Wars Episode III - Revenge of the Sith (E)(Trashman).nds" does not exist! Ignoring.
lvl1: 	  Warning from theme "/etc/emulationstation/themes/es-theme-carbon/nds/theme.xml"
  (from included file "/etc/emulationstation/themes/es-theme-carbon/nds/../carbon.xml")
    could not find file "" 
lvl1: 	System "nds" has no games! Ignoring it.
lvl1: 	  Warning from theme "/etc/emulationstation/themes/es-theme-carbon/genesis/theme.xml"
  (from included file "/etc/emulationstation/themes/es-theme-carbon/genesis/../carbon.xml")
    could not find file "" 
lvl1: 	System "genesis" has no games! Ignoring it.
lvl1: 	  Warning from theme "/etc/emulationstation/themes/es-theme-carbon/gc/theme.xml"
  (from included file "/etc/emulationstation/themes/es-theme-carbon/gc/../carbon.xml")
    could not find file "" 
lvl1: 	  Warning from theme "/etc/emulationstation/themes/es-theme-carbon/gc/theme.xml"
lvl1: 	System "gc" has no games! Ignoring it.
lvl1: 	  Warning from theme "/etc/emulationstation/themes/es-theme-carbon/pc/theme.xml"
  (from included file "/etc/emulationstation/themes/es-theme-carbon/pc/../carbon.xml")
    could not find file "" 
lvl1: 	System "pc" has no games! Ignoring it.
lvl1: 	  Warning from theme "/etc/emulationstation/themes/es-theme-carbon/wii/theme.xml"
  (from included file "/etc/emulationstation/themes/es-theme-carbon/wii/../carbon.xml")
    could not find file "" 
lvl1: 	  Warning from theme "/etc/emulationstation/themes/es-theme-carbon/wii/theme.xml"
lvl1: 	System "wii" has no games! Ignoring it.
lvl1: 	  Warning from theme "/etc/emulationstation/themes/es-theme-carbon/wonderswan/theme.xml"
  (from included file "/etc/emulationstation/themes/es-theme-carbon/wonderswan/../carbon.xml")
    could not find file "" 
lvl1: 	System "wonderswan" has no games! Ignoring it.
lvl1: 	  Warning from theme "/etc/emulationstation/themes/es-theme-carbon/auto-allgames/theme.xml"
  (from included file "/etc/emulationstation/themes/es-theme-carbon/auto-allgames/../carbon.xml")
    could not find file "" 
lvl1: 	  Warning from theme "/etc/emulationstation/themes/es-theme-carbon/auto-favorites/theme.xml"
  (from included file "/etc/emulationstation/themes/es-theme-carbon/auto-favorites/../carbon.xml")
    could not find file "" 
lvl1: 	  Warning from theme "/etc/emulationstation/themes/es-theme-carbon/auto-lastplayed/theme.xml"
  (from included file "/etc/emulationstation/themes/es-theme-carbon/auto-lastplayed/../carbon.xml")
    could not find file "" 
lvl1: 	  Warning from theme "/etc/emulationstation/themes/es-theme-carbon/custom-collections/theme.xml"
  (from included file "/etc/emulationstation/themes/es-theme-carbon/custom-collections/../carbon.xml")
    could not find file "" 
lvl2: 	 req sound [basic.launch]
lvl2: 	   (missing)
lvl0: 	AudioManager Error - Unable to open SDL audio: ALSA: Couldn't open audio device: No such file or directory

lvl2: 	Attempting to launch game...
lvl0: 	VolumeControl::init() - Failed to find mixer elements!
lvl2: 		/usr/bin/retroarch.start -L /tmp/cores/mupen64plus_libretro.so /storage/roms/n64/Mario\ Kart\ 64\ \(E\)\ \(V1.1\)\ \[\!\].z64
lvl2: 	Added known joystick Microsoft X-Box One pad (Firmware 2015) (instance ID: 0, device index: 0)
lvl2: 	 req sound [basic.launch]
lvl2: 	   (missing)
lvl2: 	Attempting to launch game...
lvl0: 	AudioManager Error - Unable to open SDL audio: ALSA: Couldn't open audio device: No such file or directory

lvl2: 		/usr/bin/retroarch.start -L /tmp/cores/mupen64plus_libretro.so /storage/roms/n64/Mario\ Kart\ 64\ \(E\)\ \(V1.1\)\ \[\!\].z64

23 hours ago, Random.Name said:

Seems like i got the same error. At least the problem is the same and my log looks quite similar.

Any help?

Not sure what's causing it, but it's something to do with the newer versions of LE8. (maybe the newer nvidia driver?)  I was able to get it working with the one from 2017 in the archive folder

However, since my main goal with this VM is retro game emulation, I've given up and installed Ubuntu (had to use 16.04, 18.04 didn't work) and RetroPie, allowing me to more easily keep up-to-date.

2 hours ago, brainbone said:

Not sure what's causing it, but it's something to do with the newer versions of LE8. (maybe the newer nvidia driver?)  I was able to get it working with the one from 2017 in the archive folder

However, since my main goal with this VM is retro game emulation, I've given up and installed Ubuntu (had to use 16.04, 18.04 didn't work) and RetroPie, allowing me to more easily keep up-to-date.

same here... i just installed Lakka as a VM and everything seems to be working.
Although i dont like the Lakka GUI as much... well we will see ;)

• 1 year later...

I am trying to install latest RetroElec as per video instructions.

The image boots until the prompt about installer/live etc.

Then freezes there. I cannot type anything and the timeout stays in 5 secs.
Once I managed to type "installer" but then it froze (not sure if it did before or after I pressed enter).

Any ideas?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

@spaceInvaderOne

fancy doing an update? 

at this stage i would be happy with any elec or android (save me from buying yet another dodgy tv box)

i have a gt710 i think would do fine for playing video with kodi (if emuELEC worked i could get a better card)

i wanted LibreELEC with gpu passthrough.

the stock libreELEC runs fine in vnc but when the gpu is passed through it just displays errors 

failed to start xorg.service

dependency failed for fluxbox window manager