Preclear to clear "current pending sectors"

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Parity completed with no errors.  Everything looks good.  So I guess my next item is to down the array and put the drive into a proper slot.  I was running it in the slot of the cache drive but sitting outside my case.

And here's the SMART report

1 Raw read error rate 0x000b 100 100 016 Pre-fail Always Never 0

2 Throughput performance 0x0005 100 100 054 Pre-fail Offline Never 0

3 Spin up time 0x0007 100 100 024 Pre-fail Always Never 503

4 Start stop count 0x0012 100 100 000 Old age Always Never 8

5 Reallocated sector count 0x0033 100 100 005 Pre-fail Always Never 0

7 Seek error rate 0x000b 100 100 067 Pre-fail Always Never 0

8 Seek time performance 0x0005 100 100 020 Pre-fail Offline Never 0

9 Power on hours 0x0012 100 100 000 Old age Always Never 40 (1d, 16h)

10 Spin retry count 0x0013 100 100 060 Pre-fail Always Never 0

12 Power cycle count 0x0032 100 100 000 Old age Always Never 7

192 Power-off retract count 0x0032 100 100 000 Old age Always Never 8

193 Load cycle count 0x0012 100 100 000 Old age Always Never 8

194 Temperature celsius 0x0002 162 162 000 Old age Always Never 37 (min/max 23/41)

196 Reallocated event count 0x0032 100 100 000 Old age Always Never 0

197 Current pending sector 0x0022 100 100 000 Old age Always Never 0

198 Offline uncorrectable 0x0008 100 100 000 Old age Offline Never 0

199 UDMA CRC error count 0x000a 200 200 000 Old age Always Never 0

Parity completed with no errors.  Everything looks good.  So I guess my next item is to down the array and put the drive into a proper slot.  I was running it in the slot of the cache drive but sitting outside my case.

And here's the SMART report

1 Raw read error rate 0x000b 100 100 016 Pre-fail Always Never 0

2 Throughput performance 0x0005 100 100 054 Pre-fail Offline Never 0

3 Spin up time 0x0007 100 100 024 Pre-fail Always Never 503

4 Start stop count 0x0012 100 100 000 Old age Always Never 8

5 Reallocated sector count 0x0033 100 100 005 Pre-fail Always Never 0

7 Seek error rate 0x000b 100 100 067 Pre-fail Always Never 0

8 Seek time performance 0x0005 100 100 020 Pre-fail Offline Never 0

9 Power on hours 0x0012 100 100 000 Old age Always Never 40 (1d, 16h)

10 Spin retry count 0x0013 100 100 060 Pre-fail Always Never 0

12 Power cycle count 0x0032 100 100 000 Old age Always Never 7

192 Power-off retract count 0x0032 100 100 000 Old age Always Never 8

193 Load cycle count 0x0012 100 100 000 Old age Always Never 8

194 Temperature celsius 0x0002 162 162 000 Old age Always Never 37 (min/max 23/41)

196 Reallocated event count 0x0032 100 100 000 Old age Always Never 0

197 Current pending sector 0x0022 100 100 000 Old age Always Never 0

198 Offline uncorrectable 0x0008 100 100 000 Old age Offline Never 0

199 UDMA CRC error count 0x000a 200 200 000 Old age Always Never 0

Be careful with the connections of all the other drives and check that everything looks good after bootup before you assign the new drive. Assign it to a new slot, looks like disk7 is the next.

Since the drive is clear it should just let you format it (default XFS is fine) which shouldn't take very long. If you have any question about this post a screenshot.

I was going to avoid using the slot that disk 3 was in since I'm not sure exactly what the problem was with that.  So was planning on using slot 7 or 10.

I assume you are referring to the actual port or possibly a bay within a backplane or something, rather than the disk assignment.

It is useful to make a distinction with the way some words are used. You can use any word you like if you explain exactly what you mean.

Here is what I do though I don't think there is any general consensus:

Port refers to SATA port. Number these however makes sense with your hardware but be consistent.

Bay refers to a physical position within the server. Number these however makes sense with your hardware but be consistent.

Slot refers to a disk's assignment within the array or cache. These must be numbered exactly as unRAID numbers them. You can even refer to parity as slot0 or disk0 (this is the way it appears in syslog).

Sorry, I did assign it as disk 7 but I had to plug it into a diff SATA port.  Basically what I'm doing is when preclearing a disk, using the SATA port that was attached to my cache drive.  To be honest, now that I think of it I'm not exactly sure why I did it this way. I could have just removed my old disk 4 from the array, and popped it in there since it was a new config. 

Just an FYI.  Once the new disk is formatted. Before I start working on the problem drives, I'm going to be doing some work on my data.  I'm going to be converting movies from blu-ray folder to mkv and will putting the new mkv files on the new drive.  Once done, I'll delete the blu-ray folders clearing up space.  Then convert the drives I want to keep to XFS.  Then at that point I'll try to get at the data from the drives I removed from the array.  So it might be a few days until I start up this thread again for assistance on accessing the unassigned drives.

Just wanted to say thanks for all the help.  It's greatly appreciated!

I'm BACK!  While my data is moving I installed Unassigned Devices plugin and well, not sure what to do.  I'd like to be able to see the data on the unassigned drive so I can copy it to one of the other drives in my array.  Do I select Mount or Share?  Also how will that disk appear in my browser or via MC?  What name am I looking for? 

I'm BACK!  While my data is moving I installed Unassigned Devices plugin and well, not sure what to do.  I'd like to be able to see the data on the unassigned drive so I can copy it to one of the other drives in my array.  Do I select Mount or Share?  Also how will that disk appear in my browser or via MC?  What name am I looking for?

I don't use that plugin - but know how to do both the mounting and sharing manually, accomplishing same thing. The below may be enough to get you going.

"mounting" means making the files on the drive accessible to the OS. Until it is mounted, the data on the drive is inaccessible. It is just a raw device. After it is mounted, you have a file system and can access the data on it.

"sharing" means you are allowing the data on a drive to be accessed over your network. Just like you might have a user share called "Movies", if you share your unassigned devices drive, it will have a name and you can access it from your workstation.

If you know what you're doing, you could mount the drive and then use Linux commands to copy your data around your array. If you'd rather move the data using the GUI on your workstation, you'd want to mount and share the drive.

You have to mount it. If you don't share it you won't be able to work with it over the network in Windows File Explorer for example, but you can see it in the webUI and with mc. With Unassigned Devices plugin disks appear in mc at /mnt/disks/whatever-you-mounted-it-as. If you have any questions how to use it post a screenshot.

It is possible that you won't be able to mount a disk if it has filesystem corruption. If a disk doesn't mount, we will have to try to repair the filesystem before it can be mounted.

Sorry guys, forgot to ask but I'm guessing I don't have to stop the array for this?  It appears I can just click mount while my array is already started.  Just want to make sure.  After all the work I've done moving and converting stuff I don't won't to blow anything up.. :)

Correct - no  need to stop the array to mount / share non-array disks.

No means anyone has access, but that assumes file permissions aren't messed up in some way. Or possibly filesystem corruption, which Windows might misinterpret.

Since you already seem to know about mc that seems to me like the simplest way to work with the Unassigned disks. Then you don't have to transfer back and forth across the network.

I'm back!  :)

So all my moving of data is done.  I also managed to get at most of the data on the unassigned disks.  I did lose some data, just movies, so no big deal.  I also precleared one of the disks that had some current pending sectors and it precleared successfully and smart report looks good.  I'll just keep that drive as a possible backup.

At this point I'm ready to move my equipment to the new case and remove 3 more drives from the array.  I assume once I boot up in the new case I'll have to run New Config, keep the parity drive and just let it run a parity check. I'm just wondering, should I remove the drives in my current setup/case and run New Config now and then just assign the drives in the same position in the array in the new case?  I wonder which would be better?

I'm back!  :)

So all my moving of data is done.  I also managed to get at most of the data on the unassigned disks.  I did lose some data, just movies, so no big deal.  I also precleared one of the disks that had some current pending sectors and it precleared successfully and smart report looks good.  I'll just keep that drive as a possible backup.

At this point I'm ready to move my equipment to the new case and remove 3 more drives from the array.  I assume once I boot up in the new case I'll have to run New Config, keep the parity drive and just let it run a parity check. I'm just wondering, should I remove the drives in my current setup/case and run New Config now and then just assign the drives in the same position in the array in the new case?  I wonder which would be better?

General principle of troubleshooting. Only change one thing at a time.

Either do the New Config on the current known working system, or wait until the new system can be reasonably considered a known working system before doing the New Config there.

Troubleshooting?  I thought I was upgrading? :)

And I know what you are going to say "same thing, upgrade one thing at a time"..

lol

No, troubleshooting is right. If there was a problem during the upgrade, then you would be troubleshooting something where you had changed more than one thing at a time. ;D