after a disk upgrade - new disk unmountable

bernardinolima

You need to format it, next to the start button.

Quite right.

However, if you ever see "unmountable" next to a disk that you believe should have data on it - DO NOT hit format! A disk may be unmountable for a number of reasons, not being formatted being the most common. But occasionally users having technical difficulty will do things that cause a disk to not be mountable, and hitting format makes a mess into a bigger mess. :)

Well if there was data, there won't be anymore after it was cleared. :P

Quite right. :)

BUT if there were two drives showing unmountable, one the precleared one and the other one unexplained, not a good time to hit format. Format will format every disk that is unmountable.

(Used to be that a disk that could not be mounted would appear "unformatted", as that was the most common reason. That led a few people to hit format even if they thought the disk already was formatted and loaded with data. This led to the switch in terminology to "unmountable". All unformatted disks are unmountable, but not all unmountable disks are unformatted.)

You need to format it, next to the start button.

Quite right.

However, if you ever see "unmountable" next to a disk that you believe should have data on it - DO NOT hit format! A disk may be unmountable for a number of reasons, not being formatted being the most common. But occasionally users having technical difficulty will do things that cause a disk to not be mountable, and hitting format makes a mess into a bigger mess. :)

This is a brand new disk I bought.

I had the server with only 2 disks, and I've added a 3rd one. I need to format the 3rd disk but I absolutely need to keep the data on the other 2 disks.

Where can I find the format button?

Archived