VM SSD passthrough error

Hi all,

I have a 250GB SSD that I want passed through to my main 'gaming' VM as I'm feeling a bit of lag and slow speeds when using a vdisk on the cache drive. I looked at the thread here: https://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=48340.0 and attempted to add the entire hdd to the VM but I get the following error message:

Not a valid block device location '/dev/disk/by-id/Samsung_SSD_850_EVO_250GB_S21PNXAG664859P'

I'm specifying '/dev/disk/by-id/Samsung_SSD_850_EVO_250GB_S21PNXAG664859P' when creating a fresh VM under the Primary Vdisk location (Setting it to manual).

Any ideas what would be causing this error?

Thanks!

• 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...
On 1/12/2017 at 11:00 PM, Darkun1 said:

This is what my pass-through command looks like

/dev/disk/by-id/ata-Crucial_CT525MX300SSD1_163313AAD0A9

Also edit your VM templet and make sure your Primary vDisk bus is set to SATA

VM_Templet.PNG.ebc55576ba6bdc2701a59ad65e44c2f7.PNG

Moved my 2 6TB Purple Drives from my physical Blue Iris server in a Windows 10 Software spanned disk into my unRaid box. Followed this to the T. Showed up in the VM was even able to import the foreign raid. Didn't even lose my archive video footage. BRILLIANT!! Thanks for this post. 

• 8 months later...
  • 2 years later...
42 minutes ago, meomapvn said:

Hi,

I follow that command to passthrough SSD to my VM Windows 10 but it does not allow me without blind PCIE group 14:

6j8lm1JBgw.jpg

UqSo7XAi9c.jpg

C0FTUP8GLi.jpg

atRAz8LY7y.jpg

From wast screen shot is see that this drive is mounted... and it is formatted with btrfs. So are you trying to passthru already mounted device and possible part of the array?

To attach drive to vm it has to be unassigned  and not used by unraid for anything.

41 minutes ago, ilarion said:

From wast screen shot is see that this drive is mounted... and it is formatted with btrfs. So are you trying to passthru already mounted device and possible part of the array?

To attach drive to vm it has to be unassigned  and not used by unraid for anything.

It is unassigned. I already convert vdisk.img to physic disk:

image.thumb.png.d91e80cb98d52594cdeebb6f28b86a18.png

49 minutes ago, ilarion said:

I success to boot again VM Windows 10 now. I found that Unassigned Plugin UI is different last time. I Share image here to let another member found it:

image.thumb.png.4e90ae646eb11b1bdb91009d85ebde15.png

• 1 year later...