is there ANY safe way to have unraid on a server in a data center

Is there any way at all to have UNRAID on a server that will sit in a data center ?

I dont want to access files from the UNRAID over the internet, i just want to store files there as i ftp them to my server.

I will be using a supermicro 36 by super server. Front 24 for UNRAID and rear 12 for another distro.

Thing is i cant go 1 U more so cant run a 1U server as a fire wall.

I am told a firewall running from with UNRAID on a VM wont secure the UNRAID server

Basically i have been told to forget it, its too insecure (to run UNRAID like that)

I read an old thread here about internet access but that was from 2009. Anything changed at all?

Why do i want to do this? Because i want to run as JBOD and not lose HDD space to a RAID 6 or Raid 10 setup.

UNRAID just has so many good things about it - i am preaching to the converted on this forum.

The idea of UNRAID is to use it as cold storage while i am getting my files onto the 24 HDD's. Files will be transferred to UNRAID from the from files loaded onto the rear 12 HDD's running another distro.

There has to be some way to do this without exposing UNRAID to the Internet nasties.

any ideas at all or is this just not doable ?

Being in a data center does not mean that a server is accessible to the internet.  Can your provider arrange for the server to be located on a non-routable subnet?  Then again, that would raise the question - how are you planning on accessing it?  Are you ftp'ing from within the data center?

Apologies in advance - please excuse the wall of writing below, Wanted to go in-depth here to make sure it's clear what i am wanting to do.

The idea is that the SuperMicro server will sit on a Public IP in the DC so i can move my files from the Interent onto the rear 12 drives under a VM running a different distro and then move those files as needed from the back 12 HDD's to the front 24 HDD's where they will be stored as cold storage under UNRAID as JBOD setup.  I really love that idea.

So that means to do that i have to run UNRAID as the host on baremetal and use KVM as the VM ...er....controller or director or ?? (not sure how you describe it - but my meaning is, VM's will be run under KVM from WITHIN UNRAID).

So in that scenario the rear 12 drives can be passed through to a VM that "Owns" those 12 drives - right ? ....and UNRAID will control the front 24 as JBOD drives. At least that is my basic understanding of what can be done.

And then as i wanted to do, spin up a VM to run pfsense on in order to block access to UNRAID from ANYONE except my home public IP address and only ME from my public IP at home to be allowed to move files (and to interact with UNRAID in general) from the VM's running on the back 12 HDD's using other distros , to the front 24 JBOD HDD's under UNRAID.

I do not require UNRAID to be doing anything while at the DC other than the UNRAID OS just sit there and collect files on the front 24 HDD's as a JOBD system.

The VM controlling the back 12 HDD's will be doing all the work moving my files onto my SuperMicro system from the Internet. That VM controlling the back 12 HDD's WILL be exposed to the Internet. But that's OK because if i got hacked i can wipe the VM and download my files again as i am copying files from another set of servers onto this one.

There are major advantages to me using this approach rather than a traditional RAID 6 or 10 setup on the front 24 HDD's under something like Ubuntu - i dont want 24 x 6TB 7.2K drives spinning 24/7 because of power usage (about 220W's there alone as each drive is 9-10W). I will not be accessing these front 24 HDD's while the server is at the DC other then to transfer files to one HDD at a time as needed. When drive 3 is full it can be spun down and drive 4 spun up and filled etc. so why have 24 HDD's in a traditional RAID setup where they are spinning all the time? This is my reasoning for having UNRAID in place from the get go. The server will be an UNRAID server when she comes home one day. So why not just have UNRAID in place to handle all those drives from the day the server goes into service?

I am told that the reason i should not do it like this is because UNRAID will be exposed to the Internet and its an OS that has no security as it was never designed like that.

So that's why i have posted this question and gone into such detail - i need to get this right.

The server itself is this mobo; http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/Xeon/C600/X10DRi-T.cfm

I am buying the server used - it had been in service for about 200 days before being taken out of the server room it was in (business closed down)

the config is;

SuperMicro 4U 36x3.5" Chassis

SuperMicro X10DRI-T Motherboard

1 x Intel E5-2620v3 CPU

4 x  Samsung 16GB PC4-2133P RAM Module (64GB Total)

1 x  LSI SAS9300-8i SATA/SAS Adapter

2 x Intel S3510 120GB SSD

36 x HGST 6TB 7.2K 6Gbps HUS726060ALE610 SATA Hard Drive

2 x 1280W Power Supply

I have added an extra 128GB of RAM to give 192GB in total to CPU 1. I will change the CPU to a V4 CPU when the cost of a 22 core V4 is cheap (3 to 4 years from now?)

Should i upgrade those Intel S3510 120GB SSD's in the rear of the server - plan to use these for the KVM system to run VM's off. Should i replace those SSD's to 850 EVO's to get more write performance as the S3510's have pretty poor write performance? Or will the write performance in this scenario not be an issue ( i think more is always better on a server - right?)

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9226/intel-releases-ssd-dc-s3510

(read performance is reasonable - not great but good enough - surely more then a spinner, write performance is dismal for an SSD)

How many NIC's do i need for all this ? there are 2 x Intel® X540 Dual port 10GBase-T NIC's onboard. Do i need more NIC's?

So if it all works out as described above (if not please tell me what part i have got wrong) then i dont really understand why a VM running pfsense cant block access to the UNRAID OS to anyone except my home public IP - the VM's (pfsense and the other distro) will be exposed to the Internet full time and on a very fast uplink - but then the pfsense should guard those VM's - right?

So i am not sure why the IT people who are looking at this for me are saying its not doable because of security.

Can anyone provide an over view of how this should be setup to be secure?

PM me if you want to discuss this professionally.

Run unraid as a guest of esxi. Then run pfsense on a vm on esxi.

What are the pro's and cons of this approach ? So if one was to go this way, UNRAID is now a guest on an esxi host - i get that can be done and, further, a pfsense setup can also be run as a guest under esxi - does that mean in that setup the UNRAID VM is perfectly safe then ?

If i went that way it would seem that i can run anything i want as a VM under esxi - UNRAID as a VM and give it the front 24 HDD's as JBOD  as per UNRAID method, another Guest VM running some other distro that has the back 12 HDD's passed through to it and on which allows me to import my files from the Internet to that VM cntrolling the rear 12 drives.

I was trying to understand this a few weeks ago - is it better to run UNRAID as the host OS on bare metal and then run guest VM's under KVM from UNRAID itself ....*OR*..... run esxi as the host on bare metal and then run UNRAID as a esxi guest?

OR run KVM on bare metal and then run UNRAID as a KVM guest with the front 24 HDD's passed to it and another VM running some other distro controlling the back 12 HDD's ?

This is probably all really easy stuff to some - but to us newbs, well its a bit complicated trying to grasp the pitfalls of one way over another.

The end goal is to get my server home once i have transferred all my files to it. I will be using UNRAID as a depository for my 4K video footage i will be shooting (underwater footage but thats neither here nor there for what this discussion is about).

Just not sure of how to setup the server so its UNRAID ready to roll when it gets home - given i have to move a huge amount of footage onto the server in a DC before it leaves UK and heads out to me on location. I dont want 36 HDD's of footage to have to move from a RAID 6 or something under some other system onto an UNRAID system when the server finally gets on location.That would be too much to cope with. I need the server to arrive with UNRAID running and all my files onboard the HDD's in the server.

Thanks StevenD

I contacted limetech to ask them to do this work for me - i had one reply from them, i answered the question they posed and never heard back from them. Seems they dont want to touch it either. Not sure why.

So where do i find an UNRAID expert who can set this up for me? I am remote from the server (its in the US) and when i send it to a DC (in EU) to retrieve my many TB's of data it then comes to me. I need it to arrive loaded with data ready to go. Willing to pay but who do i pay to do this?

Willing to pay but who do i pay to do this?

I suspect the resistance you are getting is because of the unknowns involved. Are you willing to keep a tab open at ~$100+ per hour for ongoing assistance to get this whole operation going? If you asked me to quote an out the door price for what you outlined, I wouldn't do it. I'd be afraid of getting stuck supporting a nightmare of ongoing snafu's for free.

The level of tech expertise you are asking for doesn't come cheap, and you have a complicated ask.

I, and probably most everyone reading your thread assumed you were doing this for yourself, not shopping a job around.

• 3 weeks later...

Its Ok, got it under control. I have someone working on it for me.

i would do it myself - but i am on another continent to where the server is.

There is nothing difficult about setting up a server with an OS if one knows what one is doing. This is pretty standard fare to folks who do this daily for a living - nothing special here.

Anyway, its moving forward.

Thanks for the input.