Memory 1333mhz vs 1600mhz much difference/impact?

egtrev

Hi,

I currently have 16GB DDR3 1600mhz RAM (4 x 4GB) installed.

I have started to play more with VM's and have been looking to add some more memory now.

Locally I've seen some reasonably priced (used) 32GB RAM (4 x 8GB) for sale but it is 1333mhz.

Would it still be worth the upgrade or would the lower speed be a problem?

Any advice is appreciated,

Thanks.

Hi,

I currently have 16GB DDR3 1600mhz RAM (4 x 4GB) installed.

I have started to play more with VM's and have been looking to add some more memory now.

Locally I've seen some reasonably priced (used) 32GB RAM (4 x 8GB) for sale but it is 1333mhz.

Would it still be worth the upgrade or would the lower speed be a problem?

Any advice is appreciated,

Thanks.

The motherboard will adjust the speed when it accesses the other sticks.  But, decent motherboard manuals recommend that the same CAS timings be used on all sticks present.

The motherboard will adjust the speed when it accesses the other sticks.  But, decent motherboard manuals recommend that the same CAS timings be used on all sticks present.

I only have 4 slots so all would be replaced with the slower speed (so all slots would have matching sticks)

I may have worded my question wrong - What I meant is would the upgrade be worth it if the RAM speed is slower - will the slower speed have a negative impact to overall performance. (e.g 16GB 1600mhz vs 32GB 1333mhz)

With the extra RAM things will speed up.  If the extra was 1600MHz it would speed up a hair more, but doubtful you'd really notice it unless you're trying to get 1 extra frame per second or 10 more points on a passmark

Thanks for the help/info (again) Squid. I'm going to go ahead and pick up the 32GB RAM :)

• 3 years later...

I Have Ben Wondering This My Self.. I Have 64Gb Of ecc 1333mhz in My Supermicro X8DTH-6F Dual Xeon X5675 Build But I Just Upgraded To A Supermicro X9DRI-F & The Long Time Favorite Supermicro CSE-946 24Bay 4U Case I am In The Process of Up Grading The Cpu's ,Coolers & Fans And Adding More Ram An I Was Thinking Of Swaping It Out With My 64Gb ecc 1333mhz That Is In The old server & Now That I Know That The Speed Difference isnt going to be a big deal..i may add another 64gb for a total of 128gb but i dont need it but hey any thing worth doing is worth over doing right! Thanks Any One Have Any Advice On Adding A Gpu To This case That Will Look Nice & Not Haked Together ?

Edited by BIGCHEW
Fat Fingers