unMENU 1.5 ... now available for download.

Questions r.e. the SMART details shown when running a SMART Status Report on the UnMenu Disk Management page ...

(1)  Is there a good overview of what the various values actually mean?  I can find plenty of descriptions of the generic meaning of any specific attribute (e.g. "Raw_Read_Error_Rate") ... but nothing that really says what the Value/Worst/Threshold columns mean of what values are acceptable in these columns.    I presume the "Raw Value" column is the current value -- right?    For example, for this specific parameter, one of my drives shows 200-001-051 in the 3 columns, and a raw value of 0.

(2)  What does "In_the-past" means in the "When Failed" column?    Does this mean the drive has previously failed a SMART test, but now passes??    I just ran SMART Status reports on all my drives, and this one drive has this value (all the others are all clear in the "When Failed" column).

All of my drives show "SMART overall-health self-assessment test result: PASSED"

... but this one drive has the strange "In_the-past" comment.    Just curious what that might mean.

FWIW I've attached a PDF showing the SMART data for the drive with the strange comment.

That is extraordinarily unusual, can you attach the full SMART report, no need to PDF it.  Currently, the VALUE is perfect, and the entire table of attributes looks near perfect, especially for a drive with 20000 hours.  But at some time in the past, something went terribly wrong, and the Raw_Read_Error_Rate temporarily bottomed out.  Nothing else did, including the Seek_Error_Rate, so it would appear to be a brief software anomaly, a flu that it got over.

(1)  Is there a good overview of what the various values actually mean?  I can find plenty of descriptions of the generic meaning of any specific attribute (e.g. "Raw_Read_Error_Rate") ... but nothing that really says what the Value/Worst/Threshold columns mean of what values are acceptable in these columns.

That is exactly what I have long wanted to create a wiki page for, but it's still one of my many barely started but unfinished projects.  Sorry, I especially felt it could help lessen the support load on Joe.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi there my unraid does not have a pass on root. I have installed the image server but my neotv 550 media stream still says I need to log on to access the location.

I put unmenu on both my servers today and this issue came up since then. As I watched some stuff from both servers yesterday without issue.

When viewing file folder and so forth in windows it functions fine.

So I am unsure what has changed any ideas?

I can enter whatever I like for username with no pass but it needs to be done everytime where as before it never.

I can tell the neotv that the username is a or b c etc guest whatever and it opens the folder where as before it just opened the folder without asking for username and pass. The only thing changed is unmenu.

Hi All I installed unMenu on both my servers. Now my media servers I need to enter guest as a username for my media streamer where before I didnt have to enter anything. My unraid server is running the latest beta and the USERS under the original unraid menu has just root listed as an account.

How can I make it so everything do not need any user name or pass?

You probably have a password on the "root" account.  this has nothing directly with unMENU, but unRAID itself.

the work-around for unMENU is to install the image-server package.  For unRAID you cannot use"root" for remote access on current releases.  you must connect as a different user or set the security to the correct mode.

• 3 weeks later...

I am running unMENU 1.5 on unRAID 5.0-rc11.  Thanks for the GREAT tool!  :)

I recently upgraded my cache drive to a 4TB Seagate drive and every time I go to MyMain and then Inventory I see the following warning in my syslog:

Feb 16 22:43:50 voyager unmenu[4063]: WARNING: GPT (GUID Partition Table) detected on '/dev/sdm'! The util fdisk doesn't support GPT. Use GNU Parted. (Minor Issues)

/dev/sdm is my 4TB cache drive.  Should I be concerned about this warning or can this be ignored?  Thanks!

I am running unMENU 1.5 on unRAID 5.0-rc11.  Thanks for the GREAT tool!  :)

I recently upgraded my cache drive to a 4TB Seagate drive and every time I go to MyMain and then Inventory I see the following warning in my syslog:

Feb 16 22:43:50 voyager unmenu[4063]: WARNING: GPT (GUID Partition Table) detected on '/dev/sdm'! The util fdisk doesn't support GPT. Use GNU Parted. (Minor Issues)

/dev/sdm is my 4TB cache drive.  Should I be concerned about this warning or can this be ignored?  Thanks!

You can ignore the waning.  It is expected on any drive over 2.2TB.  The "fdisk" command is being used to read the first block on the disk, but not to partition it, so you are fine.  If it did not detect a GPT partition there would be a problem...  ;D
  • 2 weeks later...

latest unmenu with a fresh install, if you go to the System Info > PCI Devices page, you get the message:

The command '/sbin/lspci ' was not found on your system.  You may need to install it.

PCI Utilities can be installed from the unMENU Package Manager.

The link to the package manger is incorrect. It takes you to "package_manager" rather than "pkg_manager"

latest unmenu with a fresh install, if you go to the System Info > PCI Devices page, you get the message:

The command '/sbin/lspci ' was not found on your system.  You may need to install it.

PCI Utilities can be installed from the unMENU Package Manager.

The link to the package manger is incorrect. It takes you to "package_manager" rather than "pkg_manager"

Well, that was its original name...  I guess it is not smart enough to do what you want, instead of what I originally coded.  8)

I'll fix it the next time I'm working with the code.

Thanks for the bug report.  ;D

Joe L.

So I just swapped out a bunch of hardware and now my temps for my drives no longer display in MyMain but the temps display fine in unraid Main.  Running 5.0-rc11 with unmenu 1.5 rev 246.  Syslog is clean.  Parity check speed is good.

Any ideas?  Thanks!

smartctl -a /dev/sd? does report temps:

root@voyagerold:~# for drive in `ls -alF /dev/sd?`; do echo $drive |grep dev; smartctl -a $drive |grep Temp; done
/dev/sda
194 Temperature_Celsius     0x0022   116   109   000    Old_age   Always       -       34
/dev/sdb
194 Temperature_Celsius     0x0022   116   109   000    Old_age   Always       -       34
/dev/sdc
190 Airflow_Temperature_Cel 0x0022   066   059   045    Old_age   Always       -       34 (Lifetime Min/Max 34/34)
194 Temperature_Celsius     0x0022   034   041   000    Old_age   Always       -       34 (0 11 0 0)
/dev/sdd
194 Temperature_Celsius     0x0022   117   108   000    Old_age   Always       -       33
/dev/sde
194 Temperature_Celsius     0x0022   112   107   000    Old_age   Always       -       38
/dev/sdf
194 Temperature_Celsius     0x0002   157   157   000    Old_age   Always       -       38 (Lifetime Min/Max 13/43)
plugdev
/dev/sdg
Temperature Warning Disabled or Not Supported
/dev/sdh
194 Temperature_Celsius     0x0022   114   109   000    Old_age   Always       -       36
/dev/sdi
190 Airflow_Temperature_Cel 0x0022   064   060   045    Old_age   Always       -       36 (Lifetime Min/Max 34/36)
194 Temperature_Celsius     0x0022   036   040   000    Old_age   Always       -       36 (0 9 0 0)
/dev/sdj
190 Airflow_Temperature_Cel 0x0022   068   058   000    Old_age   Always       -       32
194 Temperature_Celsius     0x0022   142   112   000    Old_age   Always       -       32
/dev/sdk
190 Airflow_Temperature_Cel 0x0022   071   061   000    Old_age   Always       -       29
194 Temperature_Celsius     0x0022   151   121   000    Old_age   Always       -       29
/dev/sdl
190 Airflow_Temperature_Cel 0x0022   068   062   000    Old_age   Always       -       32
194 Temperature_Celsius     0x0022   142   124   000    Old_age   Always       -       32
/dev/sdm
194 Temperature_Celsius     0x0022   114   108   000    Old_age   Always       -       36
root@voyagerold:~#

Old Hardware:

Motherboard - SuperMicro C2SEA - 6 sata ports

CPU - Intel Pentium Dual-Core E5200 Processor, 2.5 GHz, 2M L2 Cache, 800MHz FSB, LGA775

Power Supply - CORSAIR 750w TX Series 80 Plus Certified Power Supply

Memory - CORSAIR XMS3 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1333 TW3X4G1333C9

Controller - Qty 2 - Adaptec 1430SA PCIe x4 - 8 ports (4 each)

Controller - Qty 1 - SD-SA2PEX-2IR PCIe x1 - 2 ports (Sil3132 chipset)

Controller - Qty 1 - LSI PCI SATA MegaRAID 150-6 Kit - 6 ports

New Hardware:

Motherboard: Supermicro X9SCM-IIF-O bios 2.0a

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1220 Sandy Bridge

Power Supply: CORSAIR HX750

Memory: 32GB - 4x Super Talent DDR3-1333 8GB ECC Micron

Controller: 2x IBM M1015 w/P15 IT Mode (used for unRAID)

Controller: 1x IBM M1015 w/P15 IR Mode (installed but unused, future use for ESXi)

Your newer disk controller may not need the "-d ata" options when queried. 

In myMain, for each of the disks you can set an additional parameter of

"smartopt" with a value of "-A"

Click on the disk identifier, then fill in the additional parameter, save it, and see if it helps.

disk-smartopt.JPG.97598fec79c508a584e4e2bf8a6f1591.JPG

Your newer disk controller may not need the "-d ata" options when queried. 

In myMain, for each of the disks you can set an additional parameter of

"smartopt" with a value of "-A"

thanks joe! since i changed to m1015 controllers unmenue refused to display disk temps. adding this parameter solved the "problem"...

Problem Solved - see Updates below.  8)

I am having a hard time getting ssmtp to work and could use some help.  I was previously using unraid_notify and had no problem sending email but want to try the email packages that are part of unmenu.  This is on a test system.  To troubleshoot the problem and remove any variables from my old installation I did a fresh install.

1.  Format USB stick

2.  Install 5.0rc11 and make bootable

3.  Install unmenu 1.5 Revision: 246

4.  Use unmenu Pkg Manager to install gcc-4.2.4-i486-1.tgz

5.  Use unmenu Pkg Manager to install ssmtp_2.64.orig.tar.bz2

Before setting config I tried to use ssmtp, knowing it wouldn't work:

root@Tower:/boot/unmenu# echo -e "Subject: a test\n\nThis is the email body." | ssmtp -d root
ssmtp: Cannot open your_host:0

I then set the config and hit "Re-Install Now with Edited Variables" and tried again:

root@Tower:/boot/unmenu# echo -e "Subject: a test\n\nThis is the email body." | ssmtp -d root
ssmtp: Connection lost in middle of processing

After 10 minutes I get the message: "ssmtp: Connection lost in middle of processing".  I assume it is timing out.

root@Tower:/boot/unmenu# which ssmtp
/usr/sbin/ssmtp
root@Tower:/boot/unmenu# ssmtp -?
ssmtp: No recipients supplied - mail will not be sent
root@Tower:/boot/unmenu# ssmtp -V
sSMTP 2.64 (Not sendmail at all)
root@Tower:/boot/unmenu# net lookup smtp.gmail.com

Syslog entries:

Mar  7 07:55:08 Tower sSMTP[9968]: Set Root="your_id@your_email_host.com" 
Mar  7 07:55:08 Tower sSMTP[9968]: Set MailHub="your_host" 
Mar  7 07:55:08 Tower sSMTP[9968]: Set RemotePort="0" 
Mar  7 07:55:08 Tower sSMTP[9968]: Set HostName="localhost" 
Mar  7 07:55:08 Tower sSMTP[9968]: Set UseSTARTTLS="False" 
Mar  7 07:55:08 Tower sSMTP[9968]: Set AuthUser="your_id@your_email_host.com" 
Mar  7 07:55:08 Tower sSMTP[9968]: Set AuthPass="your_password" 
Mar  7 07:55:08 Tower sSMTP[9968]: Set FromLineOverride="True" 
Mar  7 07:55:08 Tower sSMTP[9968]: Unable to locate your_host
Mar  7 07:55:08 Tower sSMTP[9968]: Cannot open your_host:0
Mar  7 07:55:35 Tower sSMTP[10209]: Set Root="[email protected]" 
Mar  7 07:55:35 Tower sSMTP[10209]: Set MailHub="smtp.gmail.com" 
Mar  7 07:55:35 Tower sSMTP[10209]: Set RemotePort="465" 
Mar  7 07:55:35 Tower sSMTP[10209]: Set HostName="[email protected]" 
Mar  7 07:55:35 Tower sSMTP[10209]: Set UseSTARTTLS="True" 
Mar  7 07:55:35 Tower sSMTP[10209]: Set AuthUser="myemail" 
Mar  7 07:55:35 Tower sSMTP[10209]: Set AuthPass="mypassword" 
Mar  7 07:55:35 Tower sSMTP[10209]: Set FromLineOverride="True" 
Mar  7 07:55:35 Tower sSMTP[10209]: Creating SSL connection to host
Mar  7 08:05:35 Tower sSMTP[10209]: Connection lost in middle of processing

My problem looks very similar to the one posted here:

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=5568.msg61670#msg61670

Any ideas?

Update 1:  OK, I must be doing something stupid with my gmail account setup.  I tried it with another email (not gmail) and it worked fine.  Do I have something set incorrectly to use gmail?  Thanks!

Update 2:  Yup, I was doing something stupid I guess.  unraid_notify works for me with port 465, ssmtp doesn't.  I had to change it to port 587 and now it works fine with gmail.  Hopefully this post will help someone else that may have the same problem as me.  :)

• 3 weeks later...

Looking at myMain [smart] view, it is not showing all my drives... they are all there but i have to change the sort order to get to them. is there a way to tweak it so i see all the drives?

no idea... you've given no detail and you are the first to report such an issue.

A screen shot might help, along with an attached syslog.

Joe L.

Looking at myMain [smart] view, it is not showing all my drives... they are all there but i have to change the sort order to get to them. is there a way to tweak it so i see all the drives?

no idea... you've given no detail and you are the first to report such an issue.

A screen shot might help, along with an attached syslog.

Joe L.

attached default view and the smart view. notice smart view is leaving off disk14. (if i change the sort order it will show it), also attached syslog (had to zip due to filesize restrictions on forum). using unraid rc12a and latest unmenu.

myMain-default.png.527f305d1947802f4974944518df3252.png

myMain-smart.png.9fb888db1b2e7f8e2a8b2b37544553db.png

syslog-2013-03-30.zip

When I visit the download page that is on the first page it only has version 1.3 there. The thread title says 1.5. Where is the 1.5 version to download? Thanks.

It is version 1.3 of the install utility.  It will download the most current 1.5 version of unMENU.

I updated the text on the google.code page to make it more clear.

I noticed that everytime I reboot my unraid box unmenu always has a few updates it can do, one is hdparm one.. If i have it do the unmenu update from the user scripts it says it installs.. reboot its back to needing that update.

noticed that there are these in my packages folder:

hdparm-9.27-unmenu-package.conf

hdparm-9.37-unmenu-package-1.conf

while the package manager page still shows the old 9.27 hdparm. if I do 'hdparm -V' it says that i already have 9.37 installed.

side note, I thought unmenu d/led packages for it to install on startup.. I didn't realize that some packages d/l stuff when it installs.. as yesterday on unraid startup it went to install the perl package and it hung on trying to retrieve from span some file.. was stuck at 25% and the timer just kept increasing. i couldn't exit out of the thing, no matter what keyboard combindation i tried. eventually just had to hit the power button and cycle the server.. that startup the package installed just fine as it's done many times before.

I noticed that everytime I reboot my unraid box unmenu always has a few updates it can do, one is hdparm one.. If i have it do the unmenu update from the user scripts it says it installs.. reboot its back to needing that update.

while the package manager page still shows the old 9.27 hdparm. if I do 'hdparm -V' it says that i already have 9.37 installed.

side note, I thought unmenu d/led packages for it to install on startup.. I didn't realize that some packages d/l stuff when it installs.. as yesterday on unraid startup it went to install the perl package and it hung on trying to retrieve from span some file.. was stuck at 25% and the timer just kept increasing. i couldn't exit out of the thing, no matter what keyboard combindation i tried. eventually just had to hit the power button and cycle the server.. that startup the package installed just fine as it's done many times before.

Don't install hdparm at all.    Unless you have a need for a different version, use the one supplied by unRAID. 

You need to realize that unMENU has included packages for years now, and that at one time they might be newer than the one supplied by the stock unRAID, but sooner or later, they are not the newest, and in fact eventually might be older than what is in unRAID itself. 

Currently, unRAID ships with version 9.37 of hdparm.    There is no need to install ANY version from unMENU.

Yes, the PERL package does download additional modules when it installs.  It runs:

PERL_MM_USE_DEFAULT=1 perl -MCPAN -e 'install MP3::Tag'

You can examine any unMENU install package file to see what it will do on installation using the view/edit link in unMENU.

When I visit the download page that is on the first page it only has version 1.3 there. The thread title says 1.5. Where is the 1.5 version to download? Thanks.

It is version 1.3 of the install utility.  It will download the most current 1.5 version of unMENU.

I updated the text on the google.code page to make it more clear.

Ahh, ok. I got it now. Thanks for clearing that up. Once installed, is there an uninstaller or how is the best way to uninstall it?

Unmenu indicates my 4TB drive as HPA.

Thanks

Don't install hdparm at all.    Unless you have a need for a different version, use the one supplied by unRAID. 

You need to realize that unMENU has included packages for years now, and that at one time they might be newer than the one supplied by the stock unRAID, but sooner or later, they are not the newest, and in fact eventually might be older than what is in unRAID itself. 

Currently, unRAID ships with version 9.37 of hdparm.    There is no need to install ANY version from unMENU.

Yes, the PERL package does download additional modules when it installs.  It runs:

PERL_MM_USE_DEFAULT=1 perl -MCPAN -e 'install MP3::Tag'

You can examine any unMENU install package file to see what it will do on installation using the view/edit link in unMENU.

yes, I did not install hdparm as I know it comes pre-installed. I was just reporting the fact unmenu always wants to upgrade its 9.27 version to 9.37 package reference on each startup. It's like the unmenu doesnt really take. I've tried a fresh install and it has the same problem. Always shows me a thing about local_myMain and hdparm. is there an unmenu irc channel?

about that perl package, is there a way to just d/l that package locally to save it from d/ling on each reboot / possibly hang on downloading and messing unraid from starting up

update:

fresh boot back on rc12a, ran unmenu -> user scripts - > check for unmenu updates

resulted in:

Available files on current release list:

hdparm-9.37-unmenu-package-1.conf :Revision: 252  Date: 2012-05-09 08:13:45 -0400 (Wed, 09 May 2012)

myMain_local.conf :Revision: 182  Date: 2010-12-04 08:15:52 -0500 (Sat, 04 Dec 2010)

If I wanted to update a package that is part of unmenu, is there any advised way to do so?

Also, if someone wanted to contribute to unmenu is there a documented proper way?

Taking a quick look at PERL,

whats currently installed via unmenu:

08-Sep-2008 01:14 16M -

http://slackware.cs.utah.edu/pub/slackware/slackware-12.2/slackware/d/perl-5.10.0-i486-1.tgz

looking at whats newer, the next upgrade would be:

02-Oct-2009 13:31  13M -

http://slackware.cs.utah.edu/pub/slackware/slackware-13.1/slackware/d/perl-5.10.1-i486-1.txz

which is 3 megs smaller.. but notice its in txz not tgz format. I've not seen txz before, so looking it up:

*NOTE: Slackware packages typically end with file extensions .tgz and .txz(txz starting version 13) for installation with installpkg tool.

*NOTE: The only difference with the tgz from the txz, is the compression used, the tgz is just a typically tarball compressed with gz while the

txz is a tarball that uses LZMA compression, which greatly compresses the file size of the txz compared to the tgz.

so now brings up another question, so does unraid tar support txz? or is this one of the main reasons most of the packages are a bit out of date (I understand the whole concept of why upgrade if its working.. but to save 3megs on each startup for this package I would think would be enticing for most -- at the expense of a few extra cpu cycles to extract a slightly advanced compression format)

then, if txz is supported.. why not just jump to the latest stable (the current trunk only does x64 it appears, perl-5.16.3-x86_64-1.txz),

20-Aug-2012 12:44 13M -

http://slackware.cs.utah.edu/pub/slackware/slackware-14.0/slackware/d/perl-5.16.1-i486-1.txz

so looking at perl 5.10.0 vs 5.16.1,

there have been a bit of changes and it might be more trouble than its worth to really validate nothing will break..

but in case someone knows perl and wanted to glance.. here are the changelog migration for the major releases,

5.16.0 -> 5.16.1 - http://perldoc.perl.org/perl5161delta.html

5.14.0 -> 5.16.0 - http://perldoc.perl.org/perl5160delta.html

5.12.0 -> 5.14.0 - http://perldoc.perl.org/perl5140delta.html

5.10.0 -> 5.12.0 - http://perldoc.perl.org/perl5120delta.html

-- just posted this info in the PERL specific unmenu package thread :: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=2999.0