unMENU 1.5 ... now available for download.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi

Is there a way just to install the mymain part of unmenu only or do I need to install the whole unmenu package.

Only really miss the mymain part since my switch to SF and a couple of needed plugins.

Great work by the way :)

sorrry, but no.

Joe, is there an unmenu irc channel? Wanted to talk to you/people about some things about it.

For right now I'll just toss some stuff up here, but don't want to clutter this thread if there is a better spot for it.

On the package manage page:

• Segment visually the 4.x and 5.x stuff.. add last updated, show if it requires d/ling things from the internet (which could result in delayed/hung startup of unraid if something goes wrong -- i've had it happen with the PERL package)
  • The visual changes also could be further expanded with the ability to allow packages to be disabled (beta/bad) or hidden (for example cxxlibs-6.0.9-i486.tgz library accidentally left out of unRAID 4.4-beta2 through 4.5beta5 shows up.. not really needed for most?) on the pkgmgr page.
  • Allow packages to be installed dependent of their unraid version (4.x or 5.x or even more specific) ex: ('compiler' installs cxxlibs, assume its for the 4.4b2-b5 users.. not needed for others)?
  • Reinstall / Remove package
  • Proper way to update a package / submit it to unraid / what actually needs to be changed..  I've seen a few updates floating around on websites/forums for packages but none of them seemed to have made it back to the actual trunk.. is there any rules about packages.. try to keep them as lean as possible? built for the lowest common denominator? For example the 'compiler' package only includes GCC not G++.. should we extend it to include it or make it a separate package? or add option to a package and relay that back and use during install.. like 'x - include g++'

About bwm-ng:

• noticed that it needs to be a little wider so that the values don't word wrap when the network/disk values are in the double digits or even tripple digits..  it only shows in one fixed format (kb?) or does it have the ability to adjust to b/kb/mb/gb/tb?

Additionally, I plan on updating the md5deep package, as the currently installed version is 3.6 and there has been a bit of upgrades to it.

Some highlights (for me) for the difference between 3.6 (23 Mar 2010) and 4.3 (24 Oct 2012):

- Enabled multiprocessor support on all platforms.

- Fixed hashdeep bug for known files with commas or parenthesis in their filenames.

- Fixed check for endian-ness, affecting hash generation on big-endian platforms. (ARM/SPARC/IA-64 etc)

The old 3.6 version md5deep package only installed md5deep*  sha1deep*  sha256deep*  tigerdeep*  whirlpooldeep*, it didn't copy hashdeep (there was some peoples forked installs that did)

However now md5deep 4.x requires g++ which lead me down the path of wanting to update the compiler package as well.

4.4 beta of md5deep includes SHA3 with sha3deep, but as dev moved to github I'm uncertain if 4.4 will be on sourceforge to grab from or if they will post once its out of beta (also I found a bug on windows for them to fix)

Joe, is there an unmenu irc channel? Wanted to talk to you/people about some things about it.

No, no chat channel

For right now I'll just toss some stuff up here, but don't want to clutter this thread if there is a better spot for it.

On the package manage page:

• Segment visually the 4.x and 5.x stuff.. add last updated, show if it requires d/ling things from the internet (which could result in delayed/hung startup of unraid if something goes wrong -- i've had it happen with the PERL package)

Just about all the packages require downloading of something.  None would keep unRAID from starting.  A package install that fails to return after completion could lock up unMENU as it is single-threaded.

• The visual changes also could be further expanded with the ability to allow packages to be disabled (beta/bad) or hidden (for example cxxlibs-6.0.9-i486.tgz library accidentally left out of unRAID 4.4-beta2 through 4.5beta5 shows up.. not really needed for most?) on the pkgmgr page.

Go for it... the package manager is written in awk and can be modified as can any package.    I've not spent more time on it, but it can obviously be improved.  The trick is backward compatibility.  There are still a lot of people using early 4.X versions of unRAID and I've tried to keep the packages compatible with all.    I'm sure many of the older packages can be updated or replaced with newer. Best way to handle that is to simply make a newer .conf file with an alternate name, and specify where it will work.

There eventually will be a plugin manager in 5.0 unRAID to manage its plugins...  It plugin system is nowhere near as mature as unMENU.

The recent 5.0rc12 seems to have uncovered at least one incompatible package.  The unRAID-web package developed by bubbaQ.  It installs (overwrites a library that probably was not supplied at the time it was created, but breaks current programs)

• Allow packages to be installed dependent of their unraid version (4.x or 5.x or even more specific) ex: ('compiler' installs cxxlibs, assume its for the 4.4b2-b5 users.. not needed for others)?

For most, removal is as simple as reboot after marking the package as "not re-install on reboot"
  • Reinstall / Remove package
  • Proper way to update a package / submit it to unraid / what actually needs to be changed..  I've seen a few updates floating around on websites/forums for packages but none of them seemed to have made it back to the actual trunk.. is there any rules about packages.. try to keep them as lean as possible? built for the lowest common denominator? For example the 'compiler' package only includes GCC not G++.. should we extend it to include it or make it a separate package? or add option to a package and relay that back and use during install.. like 'x - include g++'

Extending the existing package to include the additional libraries is OK, making each as lean as possible is how I originally had it.

About bwm-ng:

• noticed that it needs to be a little wider so that the values don't word wrap when the network/disk values are in the double digits or even tripple digits..  it only shows in one fixed format (kb?) or does it have the ability to adjust to b/kb/mb/gb/tb?

There is an embedded css style sheet in 15-unmenu-disk_perf.cgi and 15-unmenu-network_perf.cgi that formats the html output of bwm-ng.  You can try fixing it there. They are just shell scripts (unMENU plugins can be shell scripts, or awk scripts, or any interpreted language actually).  I do some stream-edits of the labels for the various column headings, but not much else.

Additionally, I plan on updating the md5deep package, as the currently installed version is 3.6 and there has been a bit of upgrades to it.

Some highlights (for me) for the difference between 3.6 (23 Mar 2010) and 4.3 (24 Oct 2012):

- Enabled multiprocessor support on all platforms.

- Fixed hashdeep bug for known files with commas or parenthesis in their filenames.

- Fixed check for endian-ness, affecting hash generation on big-endian platforms. (ARM/SPARC/IA-64 etc)

The old 3.6 version md5deep package only installed md5deep*  sha1deep*  sha256deep*  tigerdeep*  whirlpooldeep*, it didn't copy hashdeep (there was some peoples forked installs that did)

However now md5deep 4.x requires g++ which lead me down the path of wanting to update the compiler package as well.

4.4 beta of md5deep includes SHA3 with sha3deep, but as dev moved to github I'm uncertain if 4.4 will be on sourceforge to grab from or if they will post once its out of beta (also I found a bug on windows for them to fix)

I welcome any updates, just send the updated .conf file in a PM or post it as an attachment.  I will not be unreasonable,  but I will want to make sure any changes are not going to break older installs.  Other than that, unMENU was meant to be extended, both in the plugins it uses and the packages it installs.

Joe L.

just started up my unraid box.. it went through the installing process for all the packages like normal.. it hung on the PERL one again..

so it's just sitting there incrementing the download part.. the last few lines of the screen show:

--2013-04-09 23:20:16-- http://www.cpan.org/modules/02packages.details.txt.gz
Resolving www.cpan.org (www.cpan.org)... 199.15.176.140, 207.171.7.177, 2a01:608:2:4:2, ...
Connecting to www.cpan.org (www.cpan.org)|199.15.176.140|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 1407546 (1.3M) [application/x-gzip]
Saving to: '/.cpan/sources/modules/02packages.details.txt.tmp1877'

26% [=======>                              ] 371,213        --.-K/s   eta 10m 17s

just checked back in on the screen.. still 26% and eta is 34m 49s. so yeah its stuck :( no key combination will exit out of it.

I can however remote into the box via ssh / access the webui and started unmenu. went to package manager and told it not to reinstall perl on startup.. since this seems to always be the problem package for me.

just started up my unraid box.. it went through the installing process for all the packages like normal.. it hung on the PERL one again..

so it's just sitting there incrementing the download part.. the last few lines of the screen show:

Resolving www.cpan.org (www.cpan.org)... 199.15.176.140, 207.171.7.177, 2a01:608:2:4:2, ...

26% [=======>                              ] 371,213        --.-K/s   eta 10m 17s

just checked back in on the screen.. still 26% and eta is 34m 49s. so yeah its stuck :( no key combination will exit out of it.

I can however remote into the box via ssh / access the webui and started unmenu. went to package manager and told it not to reinstall perl on startup.. since this seems to always be the problem package for me.

It is apparently downloading to /.cpan/.....

Do you have enough memory?  for that is an in RAM file-system.  If filled, you would find all kinds of things having problems.

I installed the "perl" package here a few minutes ago, and I had no issues at all.  It does download a lot of files under /root/.cpan  (over 25 Meg ) and over 35 Meg under /usr/lib/perl5

Joe L.

It is apparently downloading to /.cpan/.....

Do you have enough memory?  for that is an in RAM file-system.  If filled, you would find all kinds of things having problems.

I installed the "perl" package here a few minutes ago, and I had no issues at all.  It does download a lot of files under /root/.cpan  (over 25 Meg ) and over 35 Meg under /usr/lib/perl5

Joe L.

This has only happened twice, so far.. most startups it d/ls just fine and moves along to the next package. I have 4gb of ram.. syslog shows:

Apr  9 23:41:02 husky kernel: 3706MB HIGHMEM available. (System)

Apr  9 23:41:02 husky kernel: 891MB LOWMEM available. (System)

To me it's like when you go to download from a file and the server for whatever reason just stops sending.. but the app is just keeps looping waiting for the next piece of data and never times out even though its been 0 bytes xfer after <insert whatever timespan>.

digging into wget manual http://unixhelp.ed.ac.uk/CGI/man-cgi?wget I see the default timeout is 15mins with 20 retries..

"The only timeout enabled by default is a 900-second (15 mins!) read timeout. Setting a timeout to 0 disables it altogether."

"The default is to retry 20 times, with the exception of errors like "connection refused" or "not found" (404), which not retried.".

So with that said.. 15mins x 20 times would end up being a really long time waiting for a package part to install during unmenu startup. So maybe change some of the default settings like (-T 45 -t 5) so we retry 5 times with 45 sec timeouts...

Like I said before, this package normally installs.. just randomly twice (prob out of 40 restarts) it's "hung".. I'm sure it would have worked after 15mins on the next retry attempt if I was more patient. So the timeout just seems a bit too high for me as I was trying to test something / watching it startup. Maybe make it a configurable option for those that want to change it?

@Joe , I looked into customizing the bwm-ng page.. sadly they do not produce valid html (they don't close their TR tags, they dont use TH for headers.. etc) which ends up making it hard to apply some CSS styles to improve the look easily. Noticed that also it currently does not support network bonded devices as well as the code is from 2007! So prob no chance of this really being worked on anymore. but I did what I could using some css3 selectors..

attached a screen shot of what it looks like and the udpated file (note due to forum security I had to rename the extension from cgi to txt)

bwm-ng.png.e0d4a8c9ab52dd389f58a76e4f3a61ff.png

15-unmenu-network_perf.txt

since this is a one liner, I'll just post the update here rather than the whole file.

in syslog_match.conf

find the line:

match_case||"HPA detected: current [0-9]*168,"||black

and add this right afterwards:

match_case||"dev error handler"||green

I was scared seeing that popping up all the time as a new user.. but after researching I found that its just wrongly being assumed it's an error because of the 'error' pattern and figure this would save some others some anxiety when digging through the logs with unmenu.

since this is a one liner, I'll just post the update here rather than the whole file.

in syslog_match.conf

find the line:

I was scared seeing that popping up all the time as a new user.. but after researching I found that its just wrongly being assumed it's an error because of the 'error' pattern and figure this would save some others some anxiety when digging through the logs with unmenu.

All the other "disk" related informational messages are in 'teal', and lime-tech lines in 'green', so I added your match for the error handler, but in teal.  (hope you'll understand why I changed the color)

I've incorporated your other css upgrades to the .cgi "shell" scripts.  I'll be uploading them to the google.code site once I merge in some very interesting .css changes from mvdzwaan.

Thanks so much for helping improve unMENU.  It was designed to be easily modified and is remarkably impressive for an "awk" script pretending to be a web-server.  ;)

in syslog_match.conf

find the line:

All the other "disk" related informational messages are in 'teal', and lime-tech lines in 'green', so I added your match for the error handler, but in teal.  (hope you'll understand why I changed the color)

I've incorporated your other css upgrades to the .cgi "shell" scripts.  I'll be uploading them to the google.code site once I merge in some very interesting .css changes from mvdzwaan.

Thanks so much for helping improve unMENU.  It was designed to be easily modified and is remarkably impressive for an "awk" script pretending to be a web-server.  ;)

no worries. glad to help in anyway i can. I forgot to mention that on the .cgi network one I changed the refresh from 1sec to 2sec and forgot to change it back.

i tried upgrading a few packages with newer versions but kept running into issues... i cant seem to figure out why upgrading to newer gcc versions result in it just not working.. and then trying to add g++ seems like other dependencies are needed but i cant track it down.. will dig around some more tonight but so far i've not had much luck.

Just for a tease... the .css enhancements by mvdzwaan have resulted in this (probably destined to be unMENU 1.6, since it now supports skinning too)

Should be available soon...

(not too shabby for an "awk" script...)

Joe L.

looks much nicer. fyi, you should remove the 'body' css in those .cgi since it will mess up the unmenu up top...

Just for a tease... the .css enhancements by mvdzwaan have resulted in this (probably destined to be unMENU 1.6, since it now supports skinning too)

Should be available soon...

(not too shabby for an "awk" script...)

Joe L.

looks much nicer. fyi, you should remove the 'body' css in those .cgi since it will mess up the unmenu up top...

The "body" css in those two .dgi scripts just makes their font size a bit larger than the others, it is not really an issue.
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

Is there a way in the next release of unraid, that unmenu comes as a package already on the OS, with the go script adapted? 

I know that this seems a silly thing, but for noobs like some (me), it would be very useful to be able to install packages with the webui, than having to do it through telnet.

I have attempted to install unmenu, however it fails every time.

Regards

Hi all,

Is there a way in the next release of unraid, that unmenu comes as a package already on the OS, with the go script adapted? 

I know that this seems a silly thing, but for noobs like some (me), it would be very useful to be able to install packages with the webui, than having to do it through telnet.

Regards

UnMenu is not a formal part of UnRaid so while a few people have asked for it to be included I don't believe it currently will.

Have you followed the Configuration Tutorial at: http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php?title=Configuration_Tutorial#Introduction

It is a good step by step guide on getting some of the core packages and add-ons installed etc.

What errors are you getting?

hth

TheWombat

Hi all,

Regards

In the version 5 releases of unraid you can already install plugins without using telnet. Browse to your flash drive and drop the .plg file in the /config/plugins/ folder then reboot the server. Look in the Plugin Designs section of the forum. There are tons of plugins available there.

Hi JoeL, I use unmenu since a long time. Recently, I upgraded my server with two M1015 SAS controllers - and now I don't get the temps of the drives displayed anymore in mymain (drives didn't change). Is there anything I can do/change to fix that?

Hi JoeL, I use unmenu since a long time. Recently, I upgraded my server with two M1015 SAS controllers - and now I don't get the temps of the drives displayed anymore in mymain (drives didn't change). Is there anything I can do/change to fix that?

See here: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=27150.msg238285;topicseen#msg238285

Thanks - that worked perfectly! Temps - and also smartstatus - can be displayed again in mymain. However, the same "problem" appears in other parts of unmenu - e.g. diskmanagement, where I can't get smartreport:

smartctl -a -d ata /dev/sdh
smartctl 5.40 2010-10-16 r3189 [i486-slackware-linux-gnu] (local build)
Copyright (C) 2002-10 by Bruce Allen, http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net

Smartctl: Device Read Identity Failed (not an ATA/ATAPI device)

A mandatory SMART command failed: exiting. To continue, add one or more '-T permissive' options.

I assume, this needs a general change in unmenu. Are there any plans for that - or a tweak like the one you mentioned above? Thanks for your help!

See here: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=27150.msg238285;topicseen#msg238285

Thanks - that worked perfectly! Temps - and also smartstatus - can be displayed again in mymain. However, the same "problem" appears in other parts of unmenu - e.g. diskmanagement, where I can't get smartreport:

smartctl -a -d ata /dev/sdh
smartctl 5.40 2010-10-16 r3189 [i486-slackware-linux-gnu] (local build)
Copyright (C) 2002-10 by Bruce Allen, http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net

Smartctl: Device Read Identity Failed (not an ATA/ATAPI device)

A mandatory SMART command failed: exiting. To continue, add one or more '-T permissive' options.

I assume, this needs a general change in unmenu. Are there any plans for that - or a tweak like the one you mentioned above? Thanks for your help!

Eventually, unfortunately, unmENU still has to work with older chipsets that do require the "-d ata" option for smartctl to function.

Have you checked for/installed updates lately on unMENU using the buttons on the user-scripts page?  A lot has changed, including a major upgrade in appearance.

Joe L.