unMENU 1.5 ... now available for download.

I hunted through them since I did suspect me first.  The error message comes up on the console before the go script starts to process the installation of those two scripts. In The Go sample I posted you can see that I use echos to show me how it progresses with a 5 second sleep so I have time to see them. I thought if the sh: ./Not error message comes up on the console before the script sends the echo that it is starting the installation of my stuff that . . .

I will comment out the start up of my stuff and see if it changes things.

Okay I ran some more tests.

1) I commented out all the GO script lines having to do with my scripts that I wrote. Rebooted and the error still shows up

2) I then made my blocks active and commented out the block that does the unmenu auto install and rebooted. The error WENT AWAY!!

3) I restored (removed the comments) from the block of code that does the auto install rebooted and the error WAS BACK!!

In the auto install block in the Go file I have an echo statement at the ginning and one at the end.  The error always appears between these two echoed lines of text.

I am starting unMenu before I execute the auto install block. Is that correct or should I reverse the sequences.

After doing the reboot with everything happening (no blocks commented out) and showing the error, I looked at unmenu's package manager and it said none of the 5 packages were installed, yet I believe if I looked at the installed loactions according to the conf files in unmenu's folder they were all there.

The following are what I am auto-installng :

bwm-ng-0.6-i486-2bj.tgz.auto_install

php-5.2.8-i486-1.tgz.auto_install

powerdown-1.02-noarch-unRAID.tgz.auto_install

ssmtp_2.61.orig.tar.gz.auto_install

unraid-status-email.auto_install

When I then install them all with the unmenu package manager; as soon as I install them they state that they aare now installed and will re-install on reboot so the .auto_install files are seen by the package manager. I have not altered any of the unmenu packages (to the best of my knowledge)

This leads me to sort of believe that the auto_install process is erroring off and not installing the packages.

I am pretty sure that in one of my past test scenarios I changed the names of the auto install packages from name.auto_install to name.autoXinstall believing that nothing would be installed.  The error message still showed up as I recall.  I will verify that later.

I am very confused.  The good part is that everything seems to be working fine.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

newest version of the unMENU installer release_list is in place.

Use the Check-For-Updates button on the User-Scripts page followed by the Install-Updates button.

- Minor changes to unmenu in case it is use on an older release of unRAID to request "long" or "short" smart reports. (Nobody is likely using this, since a plug-in now does the work and replaced the built-in, but who knows)

- Updated the URL to download PHP in the "php" package.  The old URL was no longer valid.

- Fixed the unmenu_installer to properly deal with a brand new release. (It was trying to save the old source files to a dated sub-directory, even though they could not yet exist)

- Added an explicit check in the library routine used by MyMain to get disk temperature to prevent spin-up of an otherwise idle drive.

- Updated the "_DS" file cleanup process package-manager file, as submitted by prostuff.  (For those browsing the unRAID hierarchy with a MAC.)

Joe L.

Just updated and restarted. Now the MyMain page seems broken...

I just get a screen that shows

e

</BODY></HTML>

Thanks,

Justin

Oops... I left off a quote mark...  

I just uploaded the fix.  Use the Check for Updates once more.  Thanks for the trouble report.

Sorry for any inconvenience.

Joe L.

I finally reran the last set of sequences for trying to eliminate the go file error message. The system is now 4.5.4.

1) With all go file entries active (nothing commented out) but changing all the names of the auto install files inthe packages folder from name.auto_install to name.autoXinstall and rebooting the system the error shows up.

2) Putting the entries for auto install in the packages folder back so that they all say name.auto_install and rebooting; the error shows up.

3) If the go file block for performing the auto install processing is commented out (I suspect only the cp ... line needs to be comented out.  The error does not show up , but obviously the go file process does not load the auto install files.

With the system in my desired normal state (nothing in the go file commented out and the auto install packages named as name.auto_install); The unmenu package manager reports that none of the 5 packages that I tried to auto install were actually installed.

If I check the INSTALLED_LOCATION as indicated in the conf file for the 5 packages I wish to auto nstall I observe the following:

Package                                                        Location                                  Status

bwm-ng-0.6-i486-2bj.tgz.auto_install                  /usr/bin/bwm-ng                      Missing

php-5.2.8-i486-1.tgz.auto_install                      /etc/httpd/php.ini                      Missing

powerdown-1.02-noarch-unRAID.tgz.auto_install  /etc/rc.d/rc.unRAID                    Missing

ssmtp_2.61.orig.tar.gz.auto_install                    /usr/local/etc/ssmtp/ssmtp.conf  Missing

unraid-status-email.auto_install                        /etc/cron.hourly/smtp_status.sh  Missing

Which seems to be correct if the copy did not take place and according to what the unmenu package manager states.  If I know use the package manager to install each of these packages the installation proceeds immediately stating tha the package is now installed and will be re-installed on reboot (The auto_install file is present)

Package                                                          Location                                Status

bwm-ng-0.6-i486-2bj.tgz.auto_install                  /usr/bin/bwm-ng                      Present

php-5.2.8-i486-1.tgz.auto_install                        /etc/httpd/php.ini                      Present

powerdown-1.02-noarch-unRAID.tgz.auto_install  /etc/rc.d/rc.unRAID                    Present

ssmtp_2.61.orig.tar.gz.auto_install                      /usr/local/etc/ssmtp/ssmtp.conf  Present

unraid-status-email.auto_install                          /etc/cron.hourly/smtp_status.sh  Present

As a last test I removed (commented out) the go file blocks that (1) set up the scratch mount point and (2) move the syslog.  The system was rebooted and the error once again showed up.

I then put all back the way I want it and rebooted the system.  When the system was back up I opened tha package manager and installed the five packages I wanted. using the package manager

My only conclusion is that something happens when I try to use the go file block to auto install the packages I want, which causes an error and none of the packages get installed.  For reference here is a copy of my go file as it is now:

#!/bin/bash

logger -t "GOSCRIPT"  "##### Start the GO script. #####"

echo ">>>>> Start the GO script. "

# Make the mount points I desire in my system and mount the devices

logger -t "GOSCRIPT"  "Make mount points and mount devices"

echo ">>>>> Make mount points and mount devices"

# first we make the mount points (directories we need) for unRaid. if they already exist command will not execute

mkdir /mnt/scratch

# now we mount what needs to be mounted

mount -w -t vfat /dev/disk/by-label/SCRATCH /mnt/scratch

sleep 5

# Move the syslogs to the scratch drive logs folder keeping all syslogs

logger -t "GOSCRIPT" "Move the syslog to the scratch/log folder"

echo ">>>>> Move the syslog to the scratch/log folder"

logdir="/mnt/scratch/logs" # <-- modify this if you want the logs elsewhere.

mkdir -p $logdir

logfile="$logdir/syslog.`date +%Y-%m-%d_%H.%M.%S`.log"

cat /var/log/syslog > $logfile

echo "*.debug $logfile" >> /etc/syslog.conf

echo "*.*  -/dev/tty12" >> /etc/syslog.conf

/etc/rc.d/rc.syslog restart

sleep 5

# Start the Management Utility

logger -t "GOSCRIPT"  "Start the unRaid web GUI"

echo ">>>>> Start the unRaid web GUI"

/usr/local/sbin/emhttp &

sleep 5

# Wait for the array to start... (before installing any packages that may expect the array to be fully started)

logger -t "GOSCRIPT"  "Waiting for the array to start"

echo ">>>>> Waiting for the array to start"

until `cat /proc/mdcmd 2>/dev/null | grep -q -a "STARTED" ` ; do echo ">>>waiting..." ; sleep 1 ; done ; echo ">>>STARTED."

sleep 5

# Find all of the auto_install scripts and run them

echo ">>>>> Find all of the auto_install scripts and run them"

logger -t "GOSCRIPT"  "Find and install all *.auto_install scripts"

cd /boot/packages && find . -name '*.auto_install' -type f -print | sort | xargs -n1 sh -c

echo ">>>>> Package Auto Installation Complete"

sleep 5

# Start the unMenu system

logger -t "GOSCRIPT"  "Start the unMenu advanced WEB GUI"

echo ">>>>> Start the unMenu advanced WEB GUI"

/boot/unmenu/uu

sleep 5

# Start the scripts that I have written

#echo ">>>>> Install and start the scripts that I have written"

#logger -t "GOSCRIPT" "Install the tcpip_notify script"

# This script sends a message to the unraid plugin of the Pronto PAL

echo ">>>>> Install the tcpip_notify.sh script for notifying the Pronto PAL"

cp /boot/custom/scripts/tcpip_notify.sh /usr/sbin/tcpip_notify

chmod +x /usr/sbin/tcpip_notify

tcpip_notify start

sleep 5

#logger -t "GOSCRIPT"  "Install tcpip_listener system"

echo ">>>>> Install the tcpip_listener.sh  script"

cp /boot/custom/scripts/tcpip_listener.sh /usr/sbin/tcpip_listener

chmod +x /usr/sbin/tcpip_listener

tcpip_listener start &

sleep 5

logger -t "GOSCRIPT"  "Spin down the unused 120 Gig Samsung Drive"

echo ">>>>> Spin down the unused 120 Gig Samsung Drive by setting timer to 500 seconds"

hdparm -S100 /dev/hda

sleep 5

# Set the smartcontrol process to run daily (Requires smarthistory.php and PHP to be installed)

#mkdir /mnt/scratch/smarthistory

#mount --bind /mnt/scratch/smarthistory /boot/smarthistory

#cp /boot/unmenu/50-unmenu_user_script_smarthist-graph  /etc/cron.daily; 

#chmod 755 /etc/cron.daily/50-unmenu_user_script_smarthist-graph

#sleep 5

# We are now done with my GO Script so fancy beep and log that fact

beep -f 700 ; beep -f 500 ; beep -f 700 ; beep -f 500

logger -t "GOSCRIPT"  "##### Done with the GO script. #####"

echo "##### Done with the GO script. #####"

I am really puzzeled.  Perhaps I should just reload the Unmenu system but I don't see how that will help.

Advice?

The error is in one of the .auto_install packages

Do you use a MAC by chance?

Here is how to test what you have, and which script is to blame

Type the following two commands.  It will print the .auto_install files it will process.

cd /boot/packages

find . -name '*.auto_install' -type f -print | sort

Does it list ONLY the 5 packages you expected?  Or does it list any extra?

For each that it does list,while you are still "cd'd to the /boot/packages directory, invoke each of the 5 .auto_install files turn.  (assuming your list is the only 5)

They are each a shell script.

Type:

bwm-ng-0.6-i486-2bj.tgz.auto_install

You should see what you would normally see in the browser for the text output by the install process.  You'll also see any error messages.

Then type:

php-5.2.8-i486-1.tgz.auto_install

Then type:

powerdown-1.02-noarch-unRAID.tgz.auto_install

etc...

One of the .auto_install scripts will fail with the error you are seeing.

If, by chance it is the .DS_ files that ALSO end in .auto_install that are showing up in the list, we'll need to fix the line in the "go" file to ignore file-names with leading periods.

Let me know what you find.

Joe L.

THANK YOU JOE L!!

I think that has solved it for me.  Here is the result of running your little test to see what is getting installed:  (Note I use a little telnet program I wrote so I can easily cut and paste and have a full scrollable window)

Connecting to 192.168.1.209 on Port 23 . . .

Connected to 192.168.1.209

User 'root' is now logged on

--> cd /boot/packages

<P>root@Tower:/boot/packages

--> find . -name '*.auto_install' -type f -print | sort

./Not Used at this time/s2ram.auto_install

./bwm-ng-0.6-i486-2bj.tgz.auto_install

./php-5.2.8-i486-1.tgz.auto_install

./powerdown-1.02-noarch-unRAID.tgz.auto_install

./ssmtp_2.61.orig.tar.gz.auto_install

./unraid-status-email.auto_install

<P>root@Tower:/boot/packages

Note the ./Not used at this time.  I have a directory named "Not Used at this time" in the packages folder. In it is a file named s2ram.auto_install.  I did not realize that you processed sub folders of the packages folder!  I changed the directory name not to have spaces and I also changed the s2ram.auto_install file to s2ram.autoXinstall.

Problem gone!!  Thanks again for working with me on this.  I am just used to putting a directory  containing things I want to keep but not used at this time in the folder where these things belong.  It never occurred to me that you might be processing the subfolders of /boot/packages and I wasn't smart enough to realize that the cp command did that.

Joe,

I would suggest implementing a back to unMenu (main screen) button after a package has been installed on the same page showing the installation details, otherwise one has to click 3-4 times to get back to the list with other packages. Thanks much for your work!

Sorry, just saw it -> View all available Packages

The new 4.5.4 version of unRAID now has that version of "mc"

Best bet is to upgrade to 4.5.4 and you will not need to install "mc" as you'll already have the newer version .

Otherwise, here is a replacement URL

http://mirrors.usc.edu/pub/linux/distributions/slackware/slackware-current/slackware/ap/mc-20100206_git-i486-1.txz

Download from there to your packages directory on the flash drive.  The package manager will then use it.  Its MD5 checksum is the same as the original link.

Ok, I've upgraded to unMENU 1.3 (nice work Joe!) and installed all of the packages that I currently use (i.e. apcupsd, C++ compiler, mail & ssmtp and Clean Powerdown).  The problem that I'm having is I've changed ISP's (from Time Warner Roadrunner to AT&T U-Verse) and I can no longer get e-mail notifications to work.  Syslog reports the following:

May 20 19:17:48 Tower sSMTP[18059]: Invalid response SMTP Server (STARTTLS)

May 20 19:17:48 Tower sSMTP[18059]: Cannot open smtp.att.yahoo.com:465

My question is whether or not I should be able to use this e-mail account to receive notifications?  I'm also wondering if I need to do anything with my firewall setup (stock router from U-Verse) with regards to port 465?  The only other item I changed was in my go script:

cd /boot/packages && find . -name '*.auto_install' -type f -print | sort | xargs -n1 sh -c

echo "[email protected]" >/root/.forward

The old mail.sh file in my /boot/custom/bin folder is unchanged.  Any thoughts?

Ok, I've upgraded to unMENU 1.3 (nice work Joe!) and installed all of the packages that I currently use (i.e. apcupsd, C++ compiler, mail & ssmtp and Clean Powerdown).  The problem that I'm having is I've changed ISP's (from Time Warner Roadrunner to AT&T U-Verse) and I can no longer get e-mail notifications to work.  Syslog reports the following:

May 20 19:17:48 Tower sSMTP[18059]: Invalid response SMTP Server (STARTTLS)

May 20 19:17:48 Tower sSMTP[18059]: Cannot open smtp.att.yahoo.com:465

My question is whether or not I should be able to use this e-mail account to receive notifications?  I'm also wondering if I need to do anything with my firewall setup (stock router from U-Verse) with regards to port 465?  The only other item I changed was in my go script:

echo "[email protected]" >/root/.forward

The old mail.sh file in my /boot/custom/bin folder is unchanged.  Any thoughts?

The old mail.sh file is unused if you installed mailx and ssmtp.

If you installed the new ssmtp program, it does not use the .forward file.  That line in the go file is no longer needed.

As far as smtp.att.yahoo.com:465 goes, is that a valid port for your mail server (I think it is from what I've read)?  From the log entry, perhaps they do not use STARTTLS?     You probably do not need to open up the port on your router unless it blocks e-mail.

They basically say your email ID must be the full [email protected]   It could be as simple as that.  

Here is one thread with similar questions: http://old.nabble.com/ssmtp---at-t-woes-td20782160.html

more clues: http://missionitgroup.com/blog/?p=2704

You can try typing this line, to run ssmtp in a debugging mode to see more of the interaction between it and your mail host:

echo -e "Subject: a test\n\nThis is the email body." | ssmtp -d root

Joe L.

They basically say your email ID must be the full [email protected]   It could be as simple as that.   

Here is one thread with similar questions: http://old.nabble.com/ssmtp---at-t-woes-td20782160.html

more clues: http://missionitgroup.com/blog/?p=2704

You can try typing this line, to run ssmtp in a debugging mode to see more of the interaction between it an your mail host:

echo -e "Subject: a test\n\nThis is the email body." | ssmtp -d root

Joe L.

Well, here's how I configured the variables (AND means I tried both values in all combinations...I think?!):

Forward "root" email to:  '[email protected]'

E-Mail Server:  smtp.att.yahoo.com:465

Use TLS?(YES/NO):  YES

Mail ID:  'username'  AND '[email protected]'

Mail Password:  'password'

Mail Domain:  '[email protected]' AND localhost

From Line Override (YES/NO):  YES

I also used the echo command above but when I checked the syslog, it just output the variables that were set and gave me the same "Invalid Response..." and "Cannot Open..." errors I mentioned already.  Seems like something isn't right with the outgoing mail server.  I wasn't sure how to get a response from the server like someone mentioned in one of the articles.  I think I was able to successfully telnet to smtp.att.yahoo.com:465 but then I wasn't sure what to do (ping something I guess?).  I suppose another option is try and just use the gmail outgoing mail server as also mentioned?!

Great work with the new unMENU. I'm still using v1.2 and will update today.

I have one question though:

Are the unRAID Status Alert package (or another package) able to run the Power down script (http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php?title=Powerdown_script) when the temperature (on any disk) exceeds a user configurable value.

I use unraid_notify that is able to do that now.

No, the e-mail alert does not shut the server down (not at this time) but that is a good suggestion for an enhancement.

I can easily add something like that...  I'd suggest one temperature for the alerts and a different (probably higher) one for the powerdown itself.

In the interim, there is nothing to keep you from using your existing unraid_notify script.  You do not need to use the one in unMENU's package manager.

Joe L.

Is there a way to let unraid_notify-2.5.5 make use of the unMENU package for the powerdown add-on instead of the powerdown supplied by lime-tech?

Just entering powerdown seems to default to the one supplied by lime-tech.

Use the full path of

/sbin/powerdown

to get the one written by WeeboTech.

The one written by lime-tech is at /usr/local/sbin/powerdown with a symbolic link to /root/powerdown

Updated to the new version to get the power management setup setup correctly. Worked like a charm. Joe L, if you are ever in the Raleigh, NC area, you have a free dinner and beer of your choice waiting for you if you are so inclined as payment for your seemingly endless efforts here.

The new version with the configuration variables in packages makes it super easy.  Lots easier than editing configuration files by hand.

Joe L.