unMENU 1.5 ... now available for download.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am running unmenu v1.3.  I have the mail and ssmtp package configured.  From the package manager everything appears to be installed correctly.  For the configuration variables I only changed the email account, email ID and account password variables to match my gmail account.

I downloaded and installed the mail_status-unmenu-package.conf package.  At the moment I have it set to send updates to 'root'.  So, I added 'echo "[email protected]" >/root/.forward' to seed the .forward file.

I don't seem to be receiving email.  Am I missing a step?  Is there a way to manually send an email to test?

Before, I did have unraid notify working properly.

To test, Type

echo "this is a a test" | mail -s "testing mail" root

Strange, I have forwarded mail to root to my personal mail echo "[email protected]" >/root/.forward. and the new unMenu 1.3 I added may gmail, but all root mail are going to my gmail adress???

Mailx does not use the .forward file.   (Arn't standards nice... If you don't like the ones that exist, you can create your own)

It is a ssmtp "feature" to forward "root" mail to the account you configured on the unMENU screen in the topmost field on the form.  You can set that to the desired e-mail to send "root's" mail.

The field is labeled: Your E-Mail Account:

The current description is "Enter the e-mail account where you get your mail."

That entry on the top line on the form in the package-manager actually ends up in the file /etc/smmtp/smmtp.conf as

root=your_address@wherever

It is the equivalent to the .forward file.

I guess I need to make the description more clear on that field.

Perhaps something like: Enter the e-mail account where you would like to forward mail addressed to "root"

In any case. the .forward file you have is completely unused.    

All you need to do is edit the configuration in the package manager to set the top field to [email protected], save it, then press the button to re-install with the new values, then press it once more to auto-install with the new values.

Joe L.

OK, going to try this, but Joe, is this possible...

I want all root mail to my @telia address, and all mail from unRAID Status Alert to my @gmail address.

Is this what you telling me ? anyway going to test what you say  ;D

EDIT

SOLVED

No all my root is to my @telia and unRAID Status mail to my @gmail

Thanks Joe  ;D

OK, going to try this, but Joe, is this possible...

I want all root mail to my @telia address, and all mail from unRAID Status Alert to my @gmail address.

Is this what you telling me ? anyway going to test what you say  ;D

EDIT

SOLVED

No all my root is to my @telia and unRAID Status mail to my @gmail

Thanks Joe  ;D

I think you have it solved... but yes.

In the "mail/ssmtp" package, put your-email@tellia address in the first field. It is where root's mail is forwarded.

In the "e-mail alert/status alert" package, put [email protected] in the first field instead of "root"  Status alerts will be sent there.

Joe L.

OK, a surprise for those who installed the "mail" package I included with unMENU 1.3

Attached is a package .conf file for a program that will send e-mail status alerts when the status of the unRAID array is abnormal.

abnormal includes:

Array not started

Array performing a parity check

Array disk disabled or invalid.  (a disk failure)

Any disk temperature over a preset threshold: (configurable, initially set to 40C)

In addition, you can elect to get hourly status e-mails even if the array is healthy. (Configurable, initial value = YES, so you can see it is working before you change the configuration and re-install to eliminate the alerts when the array is healthy.)

Whenever an alert is sent, you may elect to include the contents of the "mdcmd status" command.  (configurable, initially NO, since it is mostly interesting to geeks)

The package config screen looks like this:

2ptxkoy.jpg

You can use this package with any "mail" program that will accept a "-s subject"

By default, mail is sent to "root" which for many mail programs is forwarded to a interested user.  You can send the e-mail to any valid e-mail address (also configurable)

again, un-zip to either your /boot/packages directory or your /boot/unmenu directory.  There is nothing to download.  

It uses the unRAID supplied hourly scheduled cron task to invoke it once an hour at 47 minutes past the hour.

Joe L.

This works real nice.  I've got a couple questions though...

1. What does the "Bc" after the IP address mean?

2. What file would I need to edit to change the date/time format in the emails?

I've never seen Bc in any of my e-mail... but the IP address is grabbed by

this command:

ifconfig eth0 | grep inet | cut -c21-34

What do you see when you invoke it:

What do you see when you invoke it like this:

ifconfig eth0 | grep inet

There is only one "file" involved. It is the mail_status-unmenu-package.conf file for the package itself.  It contains the entire script and the commands to install it.

You can edit it using the built-in Config View/Editor page.

The line for the date is on line 107.

Currently it is

PACKAGE_INSTALLATION M  sEcho+=`date 2>/dev/null`

You will want to add an argument to the date command to change its format something like this:

PACKAGE_INSTALLATION M  sEcho+=`date '+%A, %B %d, %Y @ %r %Z' 2>/dev/null`

(based on your prior e-mail)

You'll need to force it to re-install.  Just remove the unraid-status-email.manual_install and unraid-status-email.auto_install files:

rm unraid-status-email.manual_install

rm unraid-status-email.auto_install

Then press the button to install it again.

root@Ruprecht:~# ifconfig eth0 | grep inet | cut -c21-34

10.101.1.1  Bc

root@Ruprecht:~# ifconfig eth0 | grep inet

inet addr:10.101.1.1  Bcast:10.101.255.255  Mask:255.255.0.0

at least now i know what the Bc is for :)

Thank you

Any chance of making the Alert status configurable in how often it sends out emails when things are "normal"? ie, I have the unraid_notify set to send me a notice every 12 hours if things are normal.

Let me see what can be done.  It will probably just need another field on the form. 

Joe L.

Any chance of making the Alert status configurable in how often it sends out emails when things are "normal"? ie, I have the unraid_notify set to send me a notice every 12 hours if things are normal.

Yes... I've added that feature.

Now the field that indicates if you wish to get notifications when status is OK can be:

YES = hourly status

NO  = no hourly status

NN  = 2 digit numeric hour when you wish OK status(in 24 hour format) 08 = get status at 8AM, 14 = get status at 2PM.

Currently only 1 hour may be specified because of a bug I discovered in how I was handling spaces in input fields.  That will take a new version of the package-manager to fix... and I've got it mostly the way I want. (Fixed that, found a different unrelated bug, working on it)

Once I post the corrected package manager, if desired, you will also be able to put a series of "hours" in the field:

08 16 00 = send OK status at 08:47, 16:47, and 00:47.  (The alerts are still sent when the cron.hourly task is run at 47 minutes past the hour)

I'll post both the updated package-manager and the updated status-email package once I fix the second issue I found.

Joe L.

Now the field that indicates if you wish to get notifications when status is OK can be:

YES = hourly status

NO  = no hourly status

NN  = 2 digit numeric hour when you wish OK status(in 24 hour format) 08 = get status at 8AM, 14 = get status at 2PM.

Currently only 1 hour may be specified because of a bug I discovered in how I was handling spaces in input fields.  That will take a new version of the package-manager to fix... and I've got it mostly the way I want. (Fixed that, found a different unrelated bug, working on it)

Once I post the corrected package manager, if desired, you will also be able to put a series of "hours" in the field:

08 16 00 = send OK status at 08:47, 16:47, and 00:47.   (The alerts are still sent when the cron.hourly task is run at 47 minutes past the hour)

I'll post both the updated package-manager and the updated status-email package once I fix the second issue I found.

Joe L.

I was just about to send you a PM about the spaces in the config_variable fields.  I have a script I was turning into a .conf file and I wanted to allow the user to enter the time at which it would run, via cron.  They need to specify the time in cron format but that has spaces.  I found this "bug" the other night and had not gotten a chance to send you the PM about it.

YES = hourly status

NO  = no hourly status

08 16 00 = send OK status at 08:47, 16:47, and 00:47.   (The alerts are still sent when the cron.hourly task is run at 47 minutes past the hour)

Joe L.

I was just about to send you a PM about the spaces in the config_variable fields.  I have a script I was turning into a .conf file and I wanted to allow the user to enter the time at which it would run, via cron.  They need to specify the time in cron format but that has spaces.  I found this "bug" the other night and had not gotten a chance to send you the PM about it.

I've got that one fixed.  The other is is you save a blank edit field, and then subsequently try to populate it, it does not.  I've not fixed that one yet.

I've got that one fixed.   The other is is you save a blank edit field, and then subsequently try to populate it, it does not.  I've not fixed that one yet.

Got to love error checking (and the errors we make).  I swear I spend most of the day finding the errors I made when initially writing my code (not quite true but you get the drift).

I've got that one fixed.   The other is is you save a blank edit field, and then subsequently try to populate it, it does not.  I've not fixed that one yet.

Got to love error checking (and the errors we make).  I swear I spend most of the day finding the errors I made when initially writing my code (not quite true but you get the drift).

Yes... been there... 

You cannot have an ego when your code is tested by others..  I do try my best... but people always seem to do things I did not anticipate. ;D

Joe L.

YES = hourly status

NO  = no hourly status

NN  = 2 digit numeric hour when you wish OK status(in 24 hour format) 08 = get status at 8AM, 14 = get status at 2PM.

Currently only 1 hour may be specified because of a bug I discovered in how I was handling spaces in input fields.  That will take a new version of the package-manager to fix... and I've got it mostly the way I want. (Fixed that, found a different unrelated bug, working on it)

08 16 00 = send OK status at 08:47, 16:47, and 00:47.   (The alerts are still sent when the cron.hourly task is run at 47 minutes past the hour)

Joe L.

I was just about to send you a PM about the spaces in the config_variable fields.  I have a script I was turning into a .conf file and I wanted to allow the user to enter the time at which it would run, via cron.  They need to specify the time in cron format but that has spaces.  I found this "bug" the other night and had not gotten a chance to send you the PM about it.

I've got that one fixed.   The other is is you save a blank edit field, and then subsequently try to populate it, it does not.  I've not fixed that one yet.

OK,  now I've got all THREE bugs fixed... (saving blank fields had two un-related lines needing fixing. One in rendering the field on the form to the browser, the other in parsing the variable submitted from the browser.)

I'll post the two new files here first... then create a new complete zip file, with everything for the first post once one or two people try them.

Newest versions now at google.code http://code.google.com/p/unraid-unmenu/

Download unmenu_install

It will allow you to update an existing installation and it will update all needed files in unmenu.  When updating, it saves the old versions in a dated subdirectory.

unzip unmenu_install to your unmenu directory, then type

cd /boot/unmenu

unmenu_install -u

OK,  now I've got all THREE bugs fixed... (saving blank fields had two un-related lines needing fixing. One in rendering the field on the form to the browser, the other in parsing the variable submitted from the browser.)

I'll post the two new files here first... then create a new complete zip file, with everything for the first post once one or two people try them.

When I get home tonight I will let you know how it goes from my end!!