What's the "Best' way to run Plex?

Nemesis

Hello all.  I am new to unRaid, and I'm about to embark on a trial run.  This server will be used primarily as a Plex Server, but I will be experimenting with the other aspects of the OS.  I'm just unclear if it is better to run Plex within docker or just use the standard Plex plugin, and what are the pros/cons of each setup?  Thanks in advance!

For me Docker is the preferred method.  It is really nice to have the whole app containerized with the ability to map local paths.  I have also noticed that Plex itself just had a big push for its docker image so there is for sure some big pushes coming from there.

I used to run it as a plug in and it worked fine.  I ran into some minor problems when I had to move my library around.  Docker (at the time) would have made it easier.

I use since 7 years the standart version of Plex (within the Extra folder on the flash drive) because i can directly copy the new Plex to the USB-Stick if there is a new release.

With Docker, you need someone who provide a new Docker image an this can take few days (sometimes).

So i prefere the Standart version of Plex - but only my opinion  ;)

...if there is a new release.  With Docker, you need someone who provide a new Docker image an this can take few days (sometimes).

This isn't true with the LSIO docker.  You can set it to latest and it will pull the newest version every time you restart it.  No need for an update to the docker image.  You can also specify a specific version number (which is what is required to use beta versions of Plex, i.e. the Plex DVR Beta releases).

I strongly recommend running Plex in a docker container.  Once you understand how docker volume mappings work (it's really simple once the light bulb clicks on), then it is very easy to install and run docker containers.

Here are some other reason to prefer containers in general:

Not many people are supporting plugins for this kind of app anymore.

Plugins have the potential to actually cause problems with unRAID itself. If you ever have a problem with unRAID itself, one of the first troubleshooting tips is to boot in SAFE mode so none of your plugins load.

Plugins can overwrite each others dependencies since they are all running in the same "space". Dockers run independently.

...if there is a new release.  With Docker, you need someone who provide a new Docker image an this can take few days (sometimes).

This isn't true with the LSIO docker.  You can set it to latest and it will pull the newest version every time you restart it.  No need for an update to the docker image.  You can also specify a specific version number (which is what is required to use beta versions of Plex, i.e. the Plex DVR Beta releases).

I strongly recommend running Plex in a docker container.  Once you understand how docker volume mappings work (it's really simple once the light bulb clicks on), then it is very easy to install and run docker containers.

Agree with above. I converted nearly 2 years ago, wouldn't go back!

I may get laughed off of this post, but I had issues initially with the Plex Docker because it just would not import files from drives mounted outside of local array.  I have shares from another server mounted with unassigned devices, but Plex just will not see and import those files.

In haste, I created a VM with Win10 dedicated to Plex alone and it is working out just fine w/o any spike in memory or CPU resources. 

I may get laughed off of this post, but I had issues initially with the Plex Docker because it just would not import files from drives mounted outside of local array.  I have shares from another server mounted with unassigned devices, but Plex just will not see and import those files.

In haste, I created a VM with Win10 dedicated to Plex alone and it is working out just fine w/o any spike in memory or CPU resources.

Depending on how long ago this was, it may have been affected by the fact that dockers couldn't see anything that was mounted after the docker service was started. Stopping docker service after mounting the unassigned devices, then restarting docker service usually fixed this.

I think now you can just select slave access in the volume mapping for any unassigned and it will work that way. I have not needed to try it myself.

A Windows VM is definitely a much bigger impact to system performance than a docker. Plus you actually need a Windows license. I'm sure it works fine, but docker would be lighter weight. Might give it another try. VMs are great for things that can't run under Linux.

A Windows VM is definitely a much bigger impact to system performance than a docker. Plus you actually need a Windows license. I'm sure it works fine, but docker would be lighter weight. Might give it another try. VMs are great for things that can't run under Linux.

I certainly will, especially after what trurl stated in previous post.  I tried the Plex Docker last Jan 2016, not sure what unRAID version was out then, but I definitely had issues.

Thanks for the tip!

Is it mandatory to have an "online" Plex account?

Don't like the idea to have my "inventory" shared on the net (with plex).

I understand it is tied to my account but I don't want that (paranoia) nor do I need the cross-platform

streaming features.

All I would like to have is the media library in codi.

Any other recommendation besides running a headless codi (which ich broken at the moment) + an extra maria db docker?

Running a VM (e.g. openelec) is not an option as the hardware can't handle the load.

Is it mandatory to have an "online" Plex account?

Don't like the idea to have my "inventory" shared on the net (with plex).

I understand it is tied to my account but I don't want that (paranoia) nor do I need the cross-platform

streaming features.

All I would like to have is the media library in codi.

Any other recommendation besides running a headless codi (which ich broken at the moment) + an extra maria db docker?

Running a VM (e.g. openelec) is not an option as the hardware can't handle the load.

I run a Kodi VM with no pass through on an amd sempron  for the sole purpose of keeping the library up to date.  As long as the display you leave the VM at is static via vnc the overhead you won't even notice.    Extremely slow moving through the menus on the hardware but all I care about is the library....

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

I run a Kodi VM with no pass through on an amd sempron  for the sole purpose of keeping the library up to date.  As long as the display you leave the VM at is static via vnc the overhead you won't even notice.    Extremely slow moving through the menus on the hardware but all I care about is the library....

I read you post in the Kodi-Headless thread.

I run an Athlon X2 240e which is a bit more than your Sempron.

If hardware requirements are really that low, maybe I should give it a try!?

Any links where I can start off?

Anything is welcome. Neither VM nor docker experience here.

Just one more question:

How is the usability when my server is running on demand only?

Especially in terms of scraper activity. I know miniDLNA is starting from scratch, every time

the server is booted. My server is usually up under 60s.

Waiting for the scraper to finish in ~5 min. is not acceptable.

How is this with Kodi?

I read you post in the Kodi-Headless thread.

I run an Athlon X2 240e which is a bit more than your Sempron.

If hardware requirements are really that low, maybe I should give it a try!?

Any links where I can start off?

Anything is welcome. Neither VM nor docker experience here.

Just one more question:

How is the usability when my server is running on demand only?

Especially in terms of scraper activity. I know miniDLNA is starting from scratch, every time

the server is booted. My server is usually up under 60s.

Waiting for the scraper to finish in ~5 min. is not acceptable.

How is this with Kodi?

Its all slower scanning, etc due to my hardware.  But I don't really care since if a movie or something just spent 4 hour downloading, it doesn't bother me that it may take an extra 5 minutes to scan and update the library vs a bare metal machine (or a VM on real hardware)  One thing you'd want to do though no matter what is set up Kodi to use a SQL db so that everything can communicate with a SQL docker app instead of the VM so that querying the db is fast from the HTPC's

Upshot of a VM vs kodi-headless is that you can use any scraper you want whereas its a PITA to use a different scraper with Kodi-Headless.

Starting point:  VMs, templates, install the LibreElec template.  Don't change or remove anything.  It'll work in 512Meg with VNC no problems.  Just need to set up the advancedsettings.xml file as per Kodi's wiki and you're off to the races.