Temperature-based fan speed control for unRAID

The 4-pin is for power (diskette drive connector)  The 5-pin at the upper right is internal USB.  The silver block next to it is the conventional USB-typeB.  THe four 3-pin on the far left are for Dallas 1-wire temperature probes.

I'll eventually post all my code someplace like Google Code.  But right now, it is too ugly.... needs some of those things you call "comments" added to it.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

I have a CoolerMaster Stacker STC-01 that has 4-in-3 cases /w CM fans. In one of those cases the hdd's show temps of 34-36 celsius.

The fans are about as loud as my LCD projector, they don't have PWM.

Is there any possibility to get them quiet down with temperature based cooling or are they just so hot that slower fan speeds would rise temps too much?

Those hot drives are mostly Seagates.

I hope this project goes well!

• 1 year later...

Bringing this back from the dead ... did this go anywhere?

It appears the consensus was that it is just too expensive to add an LCD just to control and show fan speed. "Temperature-based fan speed control for unRAID" without these front LCD units is easy to do and more importantly, it can be done for free.